Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
shep1111

325SRX Galley tank vent

Our Cougar toy hauler is approaching two years old now and toward the end of last year and the three trips this year we have noticed a sewer odor around the kitchen sink. At first we thought it was the trash can we put under the sink, but the last two times we used it we put the trash in back and still got the odor and it keeps getting worse. I took a look on top thinking a sewer vent might be plugged and only found two vents. We have three waste tanks, black, gray and galley. I looked under the sink and the drains from the sink come together, go through a trap, and into a T. One end of the T goes down, I am assuming to the galley tank, and the other goes up and stops. This is open and this is where the odor is coming from. Arent these suppossed to be vented outside? Anyone else with this setup? Thanks in advance.
shep1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep1111 View Post
Our Cougar toy hauler is approaching two years old now and toward the end of last year and the three trips this year we have noticed a sewer odor around the kitchen sink. At first we thought it was the trash can we put under the sink, but the last two times we used it we put the trash in back and still got the odor and it keeps getting worse. I took a look on top thinking a sewer vent might be plugged and only found two vents. We have three waste tanks, black, gray and galley. I looked under the sink and the drains from the sink come together, go through a trap, and into a T. One end of the T goes down, I am assuming to the galley tank, and the other goes up and stops. This is open and this is where the odor is coming from. Arent these suppossed to be vented outside? Anyone else with this setup? Thanks in advance.
Haven't had a sewer odor issue in our unit, 9 months owned. Let me look at how mine is setup tomorrow and let you know.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
dave-g

I would think outside would be best, but my old trailer did this. It was not 100% open but has a cap with a flap in it.

I started adding treatment to my gray tank. Most people only treat the black- and the smell went away.

Not a fix but a work around-

I'm also going to look for my sink vent tonight.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Most galley vents are mechanical vents (one way check valves) installed under the cabinet on top of the tee you mentioned. They are available at home centers or plumbing suppliers for a few $ and just screw on. They are 1½" ABS male pipe thread. They are also used in stick homes when it is not practical to vent outside. They just break the vacuum of the sink draining and opening the dump valve and should not let any odors into the trailer. Replace it and you should be fine , Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
shep1111

Thanks to everyone for the quick response. Hank, I do have a question, if the galley tank is a sealed system, then when the sink drains, wouldn't the water filling the tank try to push air out of the tank? I realize it is a one way valve designed to let air in in the tank when you empty it, but what happens to the air as you are filling the tank? Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep1111 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the quick response. Hank, I do have a question, if the galley tank is a sealed system, then when the sink drains, wouldn't the water filling the tank try to push air out of the tank? I realize it is a one way valve designed to let air in in the tank when you empty it, but what happens to the air as you are filling the tank? Thanks again everyone.
Good question???? I can't answer. I do know that this is why you have to keep anti-freeze in the sink traps to prevent tank odors from getting in the trailer during storage.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
shep1111

Thumbs up

Thanks for the response, I am going to try it, ordered a new valve, will let you know how it works. Thanks everyone for the help!!!

BTW, nice setup you are running!!! can't beat the Dodge/Cummins combo!!