Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
NotyetMHCowner

Dometic Fridge turns on by itself

So I install the ARP Fridge controller this summer. I winterized several weeks ago and noticed a few days ago that my fridge was on and trying to cool. Ice was built up all in the freezer because I had the doors ajar since it was supposed to be off. The on/off button did not turn it off, so I removed power from it and turned it back on. Once the button was now working, I turned it back off. I checked it 2 days later and it was on again. I thought WTH and pulled the fuse that I thought was going to the fridge (It was the fuse to the fans). Next day, the fridge is on again. This time the on/off button would not work again. This time I pulled apart the 12V going to the fridge and it is staying off now.

I don't know if this is a fridge thing or the ARP thing. I don't see how it could be the ARP, especially since the on/off button was "froze" and not working (the temp and auto buttons worked). We leave the fridge on all season long and only turn it off when winterized. I have an extended warranty until April and am getting the slide worked on within the next few weeks and I'm now wondering if I should have them look at the fridge or not? I don't know the the ARP will void it or not. I have also installed the Fridge Fix fan and light kit inside the fridge.

Any thoughts? Have you ever had your fridge just turn on by itself?
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The only "common condition" seems to be the "self installed modifications". While there could be an issue with the power switch, I'd first look at the ARP controller and whether it may be installed correctly. If the "power wire" on the ARP is attached to the wrong side of the refrigerator power switch, that could explain the switch behavior. You also say that you installed a "Fridge Fix" fan and light kit. I'd also consider that mod as being a culprit in the current behavior. It sounds like with two "add on kits" for the refrigerator that won't shut off, the first step would be to "un-install those kits" and see what happens.

Sometimes (think JC Whitney) the actual performance described in the advertisements don't always measure up to claims. Not saying this is the situation you face, but it would definitely be the "starting point" for my troubleshooting......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
NotyetMHCowner

I was thinking of temporarily disconnecting the two mods and see what happens but I don't think it will change anything. I had the ARP turned off as well and I don't remember seeing it turned on when the fridge had turned itself on.

Don't get me wrong, these two modifications are fantastic. My fridge stays right at 32 and 33 degrees even while traveling. With the fans on the inside of the fridge, everything is consistently the same cool temp. The products are great, I am just having problems with the fridge control turning on by itself and them "freezing" up not turning off until I disconnect power. If it is one of these devices causing the problem, I will just need to remember to unplug the 12v source when winterizing. But I think the fridge is acting up.

Trucks:
Old 12-28-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you take it in for warranty work, I bet the first thing they do is take the mods off. And I’m not saying it will, but having modified parts may void the warranty.

I would return it to factory original condition before taking it in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:08 AM   #5
notanlines

I can't for the life of me see the purpose of the ARP other than to lighten your pockets. It seems like Norcold or Dometic would handle something like this if it was particularly necessary. I'd take them both off immediately before returning to the dealer.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I can't for the life of me see the purpose of the ARP other than to lighten your pockets. It seems like Norcold or Dometic would handle something like this if it was particularly necessary. I'd take them both off immediately before returning to the dealer.
Years ago Norcold had a safety recall to fix a potential overheat problem that could cause a fire behind the refrigerator. Dometic fixed theirs by installing a thermal relay (some resettable, some replaceable, some a one time use) in the heat chimney next to the electric heating element.

About that time, ARP came out with the "fridge controller" as an add on device. Even today, the first line on their webpage description reads: "Fridge Defend by ARP® controls the high temperatures that can lead to fridge failure and safety issues, our fan controller improves efficiency and repairs fan problems without removal of the fridge in most cases for Dometic, Norcold & Amish RV Refrigerators."

Someone "could" think of it as an "add on performance enhancer", sort of like a "high performance bully-dog chip for refrigerators"....

My thinking (for what it's worth) is that Norcold and Dometic already fixed the problem, adding another fix is not only a "wallet emptier" it's potentially a source of "refrigerator turns on by itself when in storage" issues.....

Translation: I think the OP's issue is his modification of the refrigerator. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

"In storage". How can fridge turn itself on without shore power or propane???? Turn tanks off and circuit breaker for fridge if on shore power if you are satisfied with the performance of mods otherwise. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
NotyetMHCowner

It stays at my house with 50 amp service year round. I was so fed up with this $3k fridge I was about to remove it and install a residential fridge. These 2 upgrades were the last resort. I have only had them since the summer but I am very pleased with their performance thus far.

I got an email from ARP about how the operation works. I turned the fridge off but still had power to the ARP controller. If we had a power outage, when restored the ARP would turn back on. One of the safety features is to keep the fridge on at all times as long as the boiler temps are within range. I did not know I needed to disconnect the 12V source coming in to the fridge compartment. After doing so, all appears to be good.

It is still going in for warranty work (living room slide, again) but not for the fridge now.

I appreciate all the help.

Trucks:

Tags
dometic, fridge