Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
Gbellous

2 gray water tanks 2 valves

Hi, I'm new here so I hope posting here is okay. I am currently temporarily living in my fifth-wheel during construction on a home. We have tied our rv sewer into the main. There are two grey water tanks with two separate valves.1 for the bathroom sink and shower and 1 for the galley sink. Is there a way to tie the second grey water tank which is in the rear of the RV into the main sewer hose that is going into the sewer Main? It is very difficult to get to that second water tank to open the valve, and also not very convenient to have to keep switching the sewer hose back and forth. Any links to videos or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Gbellous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Javi

Link: http://a.co/d/7J5nC4X
Old 09-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Gbellous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Thank you, that is what I need. But still having trouble figuring out where to put which hoses. Currently the RV is hooked into the main with one sewer hose attached near the front of the RV where the grey and black water tanks are together. The other grey water tank from the galley is located at the back of the RV on the opposite end. Trying to figure out where I would attach this y. I hope I am making sense
Gbellous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Javi

Using the top of the Y... connect a hose from each of the tanks the V and then use a single hose to the campground station from the bottom of the Y
Old 12-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
wbhvacer

y hook up

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 26.pdf (9.6 KB, 352 views)
wbhvacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
rhagfo

I think personally I would change the hard plumbing to be like our setup. The rear grey/galley travels forward in a 1.5" ro2" to the main drain.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
coop341

And just in case you didn’t already know, don’t leave the valve open on the black tank(or any of the tanks). The liquids will drain out and the “solid” matter will just form a mountain that will dry out and eventually block the toilet line to the tank. The tank being filled with liquid when you drain it helps push the solids down the hose. Same thing for the grey tanks (especially the galley tank with food waste), but not nearly as bad
coop341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:07 AM   #8
SiniWisdom

Hello All! Newbie here. I just purchased a new 2018 Cougar 25RES. I'm pretty sure that I only have one grey water tank but do have 2 valves. Don't really understand the logic around that but whatever... My issue is that the kitchen grey tank valve is under the slide. So, I'm waiting in line along with 50 other people to dump at a state park and after I secure the sewer hose, I have to extend the slide so I can open the kitchen grey valve. Isn't that a really dumb and inconsiderate process? Or is there something I'm not getting about this wonky thing?
SiniWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:27 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

SiniWisdom,

Welcome to the forum. There's a treasure chest of information available to you from years of member's postings. Hopefully you'll find some great information with your time here.

As for your trailer and the valve arrangement. Cougar, through the years, has historically built their fifth wheel trailers with three waste water tanks, usually the same size. Specs for your trailer include 30 gallons for black water and 60 gallons for gray water. That typically means three 30 gallon tanks arranged in strategic locations, the black "under the toilet" a forward gray "under the shower/bath sink and a rear gray, "under the galley sink". Where the valves are located would depend on floorplan and where the tanks are positioned.

On our 27RKS, the galley gray tank is forward of the fresh water tank (which is at the extreme rear of the trailer). That means our galley gray valve is also under the slide, but at the rear end of it, where yours is at the front edge of it. Both designs necessitate getting "under the slide" to activate the valve.

My solution was to always leave that valve open. I accomplished this by placing a terminal valve ( https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...S22WPZABCYJ0D1 ) It's a "sure fix" to provide access to the galley tank contents without using that "hidden valve". Remember, if you winter camp, this alternative will leave a portion of your exposed plumbing vulnerable to freezing if that drain pipe is located outside the coroplast cover.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiniWisdom View Post
My issue is that the kitchen grey tank valve is under the slide. So, I'm waiting in line along with 50 other people to dump at a state park and after I secure the sewer hose, I have to extend the slide so I can open the kitchen grey valve. Isn't that a really dumb and inconsiderate process? Or is there something I'm not getting about this wonky thing?
You do not have to extend the slide to dump the gray tank. In fact, it's much easier to reach the valve with the slide retracted.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #11
ADQ K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
You do not have to extend the slide to dump the gray tank. In fact, it's much easier to reach the valve with the slide retracted.
Same here I do not extend the slide to dump, easier to reach with it closed.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #12
CaptnJohn

My last 2 5ers had the galley tank handle under the slide. I bought an extension from CW. Maybe 2 for the 1st and just transferred to the next trailer. My new Montana has all 4 dump handles in one place behind a door. Still wondering why the washer dumps into the 1/2 bath black instead of the 1/2 bath gray. What were they thinking?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:41 AM   #13
rbrdriver

Are you sure it does? On my Alpine I thought the same thing. We have 4 tanks also, all the handles in the same place, etc., until I figured out that they had mislabeled the handles. So actually our washer dumps in the gray tank for the shower like it is supposed to. I found out that Keystone is notorious for mislabeling the handles.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:48 AM   #14
Roscommon48

Just keep that one open...
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:14 AM   #15
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrdriver View Post
Are you sure it does? On my Alpine I thought the same thing. We have 4 tanks also, all the handles in the same place, etc., until I figured out that they had mislabeled the handles. So actually our washer dumps in the gray tank for the shower like it is supposed to. I found out that Keystone is notorious for mislabeling the handles.

That was my 1st thought. Opened the gray and nothing. Opened the black and just in time. Not mislabeled, washer goes into black. Should get cleaned out though with a few loads of wash. When it went into a gray on my last 5er just left it open but not doing that with a black tank.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-13-2019, 06:37 AM   #16
travelin texans

NEVER leave a black tank valve open!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #17
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
NEVER leave a black tank valve open!!!

1/2 bath black stays closed until 1st washer load starts. Then it stays open until washing is done. No use of the 1/2 bath until tank is closed again.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #18
SiniWisdom

Thanks JRT & Mark. I was a little premature with my complaint. I was camping at the time and suffered a minor panic attack. I did not have to extend the slide. PHEW! And you are correct Mark, it was easier to open with the slide closed. I wasn't seeing that in my head. All 3 waste tanks in my Cougar feed into the same pipe to empty. So it was much simpler than I thought.
SiniWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water