Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 03:14 AM   #1
Ilovecampfires!

TV Question

Hello fellow RV'ers!

We are newbies and have purchased a Keystone Laredo 325RL. Pulling with a 2017 Silverado 2500 Duramax. So far so good with a couple outings under our belts.

We have our final trip of the season coming up with quite a bit of rain in the forecast.

Our bedroom tv pulls in approx 25 channels on our 2 trips and this area is also where the antenna is mounted and the booster is located.
However, the living room tv only pulls in approx 5 channels and just outside is the outdoor tv and only pulls in 3 channels.

What would we need to do to get the latter 2 to get the same reception as the bedroom tv?
Ilovecampfires! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:20 AM   #2
BrentB

Sounds like the other two tvs are not wired into the antenna/booster. Can you tell if they are? Are there cables connected to the antenna jacks on the tvs?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Another possibility is a bad connection. The coax from the roof antenna will go directly to the booster. If you remove the booster from the wall, you should see a series of coax inputs.

One will say ANT, another should say CABLE, and another should say TV2.
TV2 is the output to the other 2 tv’s. Make sure the coax end is secured to the cable and there is enough signal wire (center wire) sticking out.

Somewhere between that booster and the TVs will be a splitter. You need to locate it check those coax ends. You can get an inexpensive cable checker to verify the condition of the coax, I suspect a coax end is either not put together right, or not secured at the splitter.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...-058/202520424

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Roby

Had the same exact issue. It turned out to be a bad splitter. Hope this helps.
Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
Ilovecampfires!

Hi Brent and thanks.

Yes all the connections are there, visually speaking. I haven't pulled any covers and checked hidden connections, but I certainly will.

Thanks again
Old 10-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
Ilovecampfires!

I will try and locate the splitter, but was wondering if this problem would be covered under my waranty, if it is something that can't be easily fixed?
Old 10-19-2017, 05:26 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If your still within the factory warranty period then yes.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:41 AM   #8
Thundershorts

I had a similar issue with both of my tv’s, my dealer made the repairs under warranty. One connection wasn’t crimped properly. Works great now.
Thundershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovecampfires! View Post
Hello fellow RV'ers!

What would we need to do to get the latter 2 to get the same reception as the bedroom tv?
The further away from the antenna the more signal lose. You can purchase an amplifier and put it between the tv and the wall plate to boost the signal to each tv in question. Digital signals are either view-able or not, not like old analog signals that came in snowy. You can get an RF amplifier at any "Home" store or online. Hope this helps, Hank ......... (of course, if connections are loose the amps will not help much.)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
Propilot11

Three rv's. Different reception

Hello to all. Just thought I'd weigh in. Same problem in my new to me 2011 Cougar 325srx. Investigation I found the screw on coax connectors were not close to being snug, much less tight. Can you post pictures of your main amplifier connections.
If you unscrew the plate there should be plenty of slack. Also keep in mind that most cable test signals will not pass through the amplifier, so to ring out a particular cable, disconnect it from the amplifier.
Propilot11 is offline   Reply With Quote