Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
JLEL12

Electric Water Heater

Hello,

I have a Suburban water in my 2013 Hideout trailer. I also have Gas and Electric switches inside the trailer. I have called Suburban and I've confirmed that the model of my water heater is able to heat water on electric power (Model SW6DEL). I can heat the water using gas, but I've never been able to heat the water using electric power alone. I understand that the trailer needs to be plugged in for this to happen. I also know about the switch on the bottom left of the water heater. The people at Suburban said the switch has to be in the ON position for the electric heating element to work. I've tried to trouble shoot this myself, but I'm stumped. I thought I would ask the good people of the forum before I take it in for service. Can anyone help me with this problem or do you have any suggestions? Thanks.
JLEL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
14george

Here's a link to trouble shout
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...SgeFFOjEXT5i-Q
Old 08-30-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

First thing to check is the breaker for the water heater. Make sure it isn't "tripped". The breaker can appear to be ON when in fact it's in "neutral" so to speak. Turn it off and then back on.

Now, you will need a Volt/Ohm meter and a basic understanding of AC voltage. With the trailer plugged in, verify 120VAC coming OUT from the breaker and that the black wire is secured to the breaker. After that, go outside to the water heater. The element is underneath the oval cover that has 3 1/4" screws holding it. Test for voltage at the connections to the element. If you have voltage then the element is shot, and the most common failure. If you DONT have voltage at the element, then UNPLUG the trailer and remove the switch at the bottom right corner. Reason I said to unplug is you don't want a possible short if the wires come off the switch. Test for voltage to the switch. If you have power then the switch is bad, next most common failure.

Report back and we can continue to "back trace", but I'm willing to bet your issue is either the switch at the water heater or the element. If it is the element, it takes a THIN WALL 1 1/2" socket to remove.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

As a quick "double check this", the switch outside in the lower left corner of the water heater, behind the air mixer tube is installed "upside down" in other words, it must be in the "visible off position" to be on.... If you've been pushing on the top part to turn it on, you've been turning it off.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As a quick "double check this", the switch outside in the lower left corner of the water heater, behind the air mixer tube is installed "upside down" in other words, it must be in the "visible off position" to be on.... If you've been pushing on the top part to turn it on, you've been turning it off.....
Good catch! I guess I figured everybody knows that switch is upside down.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
JLEL12

Thanks for your responses. ON the switch and the comment from JRTJH. The On/Off switch that is on the water tank. The "ON" is on the bottom part of the switch. Are you saying that it's installed backward and I should press the top of the button where it's labeled "OFF" ?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
theeyres

No, you have it correct. If that switch is on, and the switch inside the trailer is on then a good guess is somebody drained the water heater at some point and left the switches on. When somebody then plugged in the power, the heating element went on without any water in the heater and it burned out the element. Easy check by making sure the trailer is unplugged, disconnect one wire to the heating element, use an ohm meter to see if there is a continuous circuit. If the element is OK then you are going to have to run down the problem as above. Best bet: burned out element if circuit breaker is on, etc., etc.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #8
JLEL12

So, I followed the instructions above. The breaker checked out and is functioning fine. I then checked the element and I had power at the element, so that appears to be the problem. The ON/OFF switch functioned fine. In order to remove the element, I'm assuming that I would need to remove the Burner Assembly because it's right in front of the element. Is that correct? I'll need to find a really thin 1 1/2 socket to get it out of there. Thanks for everyone's help with this.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

The element is under that plastic oval cover, and you should be able to remove it without taking anything else off. Are you sure your testing the electrical element? Should have two wires with eyes to secure with screws.

The reason for a thin wall socket is the socket has to fit past the part that the cover screws onto. I got mine at Auto Zone and then just used 120 grit sandpaper to make the overall diameter just a bit smaller. IIRC I chucked it up in my drill press and held the paper against it.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #10
JLEL12

Thanks Chuckster. Yes, I did test the electrical element. It does have the two screws and I double checked with the parts list in my owners manual. It's just that the burner assembly is right in front and there's very little room behind it. I was hoping to post a picture, but I don't see an option for that. I will figure it out somehow. Thanks for your help on this.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Your welcome. I use a 1/2" drive socket and a wobble extension if I remember right. Been a while since I did one.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater