Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
sosad
Permanent User Ban

not happy with keystone

I have a 2008 montana mountaineer travel trailer. Bought brand new, decals are falling off, lino floor split over this past winter. Bought new decals and asked Keystone customer service for help with lino floor issue. Even offered to split repair cost 50/50. They are not interested. Once unit is off warranty they care less about you. It was their decals and cheap flooring that caused these issues in the first place. Paid top buck for the unit and workmanship sadly to say is crap. Customer service does not exist after warranty period. Will never get another Keystone product again, a word to the wise run from a Keystone product to another dealer that treats a customer with respect and appreciates repeat buisness. Save yourself grieve and shop elsewhere!!!!!
sosad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
ftwildernessguy

Peeling decals and some split vinyl flooring on a unit 2 years out of warranty. Personally, I don't think these are issues that warrant this reaction. Realistically we can't expect these units to remain new forever, and a one year warranty is a one year warranty.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
sosad
Permanent User Ban

Thumbs down glad

[Glad you feel that way, hopefully you will not experience what othersè have after spending money for the product. QUOTE=ftwildernessguy;14271]Peeling decals and some split vinyl flooring on a unit 2 years out of warranty. Personally, I don't think these are issues that warrant this reaction. Realistically we can't expect these units to remain new forever, and a one year warranty is a one year warranty.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Paul Norwood

Sorry to hear about your problems with your camper, but it makes me wonder if the extra $1600 dollars for the extended warrantly would have been worth it?
Paul Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
sosad
Permanent User Ban

Exclamation worthless

Others who have experienced the same problem tried the extended warranty route only to be told the flooring was covered for one year and one year only. I would rather put the $1600 to repairs after the first year as anything beyond that, extended or not is hard to collect on. Not my first rodeo been the so called extended warranty cash grab route before. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Norwood View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems with your camper, but it makes me wonder if the extra $1600 dollars for the extended warrantly would have been worth it?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
jillglat

we are still under the original warranty with ours and they dont want to fix it. Thier customer service is definetly poor. Once you take it off thier showroom floor its not thier problem anymore. We have major problems with our including windows leaking and holding tanks leaking. We have only had it for 6 months.
jillglat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
Johnnyfry

Warranty

Personally, I think that the dealership is a key part of this picture, pick your dealer carefully. The dealer is the interface to the factory and their cooperation is critical in getting the factory to react. One customer calling the factory is a small voice in the wilderness but a dealer sells many of their product every month and they probably have the right people to call on speed dial.

Same with parts. Keystone is set up to distribute parts through the dealer network and going that route generally works best. You probably won't save any money going direct either because most manufacturers (and i don't care if it is TVs,washing machines, trailers or stereos) protect their dealers and sell to a customer like you and me at full list price and charge shipping to boot.

IMHO,
John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
sosad
Permanent User Ban

Smile

I have decided to use my travel trailer as an example to other potential buyers of RV's that they should look at other products out there before they consider buying Keystone. 2008 model with decals falling off and split flooring throws a lot of people off especially when the tow vehicle a silverado sits there in mint shape. Funny the paint has not peeled off the truck and the dash is not cracked or seats ripped, same year as RV. Great advertising for Keystone, love it!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Handysam

Curious on the decals, what did you use to wash and wax your unit?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
jje1960

Wait one...

I feel your pain with the problems with an out of warranty unit, however ...."Hope you are not in sales, since I certainly would not deal with your ignorant attitude!!!!!" this is out of line. Frankly, "ignorant" could describe someone that expects any compensation outside of the legal binding warranty period. Stay on the high-road friend, life and it's reflection points will stay much clearer from that point. We love our Keystone product and hopefully will have better luck and less stress in dealing with out of warranty issues than you have had. Would love to see you out there in RV land sometime and have a drink together.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
ftwildernessguy

Personally, I am very happy with my Keystone. Have owned it since 2009 and the biggest problem was a missing window screen which my dealer got for me without question.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Smile My 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
I feel your pain with the problems with an out of warranty unit, however ...."Hope you are not in sales, since I certainly would not deal with your ignorant attitude!!!!!" this is out of line. Frankly, "ignorant" could describe someone that expects any compensation outside of the legal binding warranty period. Stay on the high-road friend, life and it's reflection points will stay much clearer from that point. We love our Keystone product and hopefully will have better luck and less stress in dealing with out of warranty issues than you have had. Would love to see you out there in RV land sometime and have a drink together.
Here, Here!! Well said.

Personally I think of buying an RV much like buying a fixed-in-one-place house. When you buy a new house you'll probably get a one year warranty. That warranty will offer limited coverage on workmanship and materials relating to various components of the home, such as windows, heating, ventilation and HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems. It more than likely won't cover cracks in drywall, concrete, tile, etc.

Once that year is up, you are on your own unless a manufacturer's warranty covers the repair. And you probably paid way more for your home and didn't tow it all over the country on our glass smooth U.S. highways. Sometimes after towing my unit over some roads, like through Dallas, I'm shocked it hasn't fallen apart when I open the doors.

Would I like to see Keystone improve some areas? Certainly. But they have price points to make so they figure out where to skimp. If they built a rock solid, never go bad unit, I wouldn't be able to afford it. I know the 5er i have is going to have problems over the years. I'll fix them as they come up and maybe even bitch and moan a bit. But bottom line-- I'm going to enjoy the time I have with her.

Just my 2 cents.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
Handysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.Bikes.Dogs View Post
Here, Here!! Well said.

Personally I think of buying an RV much like buying a fixed-in-one-place house. When you buy a new house you'll probably get a one year warranty. That warranty will offer limited coverage on workmanship and materials relating to various components of the home, such as windows, heating, ventilation and HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems. It more than likely won't cover cracks in drywall, concrete, tile, etc.

Once that year is up, you are on your own unless a manufacturer's warranty covers the repair. And you probably paid way more for your home and didn't tow it all over the country on our glass smooth U.S. highways. Sometimes after towing my unit over some roads, like through Dallas, I'm shocked it hasn't fallen apart when I open the doors.

Would I like to see Keystone improve some areas? Certainly. But they have price points to make so they figure out where to skimp. If they built a rock solid, never go bad unit, I wouldn't be able to afford it. I know the 5er i have is going to have problems over the years. I'll fix them as they come up and maybe even bitch and moan a bit. But bottom line-- I'm going to enjoy the time I have with her.

Just my 2 cents.
Yes well said indeed. The fact we can tow these things around the country and have the minor things to fix from time to time is amazing in itself. Add the fact that in the harsh winters where there is no heat in there from months on end and in the summer months no cooling from time to time, I think they ALL have done a fine job. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #14
j.r.jcfd

Feel your pain.

Sosad I feel your pain. I have a 2008 Cougar 316 QBS 5th wheel. Micro wave and airconditionor problems from day one. The company Keystone bought the mirowaves from went bankrupt and said nothing they can do. My Airconditionor trips the breaker everytime it get above 90. Dealership maintenance says nothing wrong with it and bills me.
j.r.jcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

Both the Microwave and the A/C should have their own and separate manufacturer's warranty. In many cases, it is good for a 2 year period - irregardless of where Keystone purchased them from. For example, if it was a microwave built by Westinghouse, then you should be able to make a claim through them if, as you say, "it didn't work from Day One".
Oftentimes, the dealer gathers all of the warranty cards, fills them out and sends them in "en masse" eliminating the buyer from having to fill out all of the warranty cards.
Not sure what was done in your case but if you had problems within the warranty period, these issues could have been dealt with. Now that the microwave and the A/C are well past their warranty as well as the 1 year limited Keystone warranty, unfortunately it would appear that you are stuck with the repair bills.
It is a bit of a puzzle as to why these problems were not fixed at the very beginning --- from Day One - as you say while everything was still under both Keystone's and the manufacturers' warranties.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
j.r.jcfd

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Both the Microwave and the A/C should have their own and separate manufacturer's warranty. In many cases, it is good for a 2 year period - irregardless of where Keystone purchased them from. For example, if it was a microwave built by Westinghouse, then you should be able to make a claim through them if, as you say, "it didn't work from Day One".
Oftentimes, the dealer gathers all of the warranty cards, fills them out and sends them in "en masse" eliminating the buyer from having to fill out all of the warranty cards.
Not sure what was done in your case but if you had problems within the warranty period, these issues could have been dealt with. Now that the microwave and the A/C are well past their warranty as well as the 1 year limited Keystone warranty, unfortunately it would appear that you are stuck with the repair bills.
It is a bit of a puzzle as to why these problems were not fixed at the very beginning --- from Day One - as you say while everything was still under both Keystone's and the manufacturers' warranties.
Thanks. I took to the dealership several time during the warranty times and that was their answers to me, was very new in the world of RV's. Slowly learning more and more.
j.r.jcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #17
antiqfreq

Is your warranty already up?

If not, work with Keystone directly - sometimes you get better results that way.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #18
scottm1

I agree the original poster is overreacting, I also understand his anger. I also agree with several of the replies to his original post. I agree that if Keystone, or any other manufacturer built a camper that was perfect and built to the highest quality standards, we could not afford it and it would be too heavy to pull. However there are many things I find on my Keystone that amazes me how ignorant the people that built it must have been. There are so many things that could have been done to eliminate future problems that don't require any more time or money to do. One thing for example, the wiring that runs from the frame down to the axle for my trailer brakes came from the factory with the wires laying on the springs. I am a fabricator and have built many cars and build street rods from the ground up so I have to factor in future events when determine wire routing to prevent problems. Knowing this, I can assure you that this is a short waiting to happen. Extending that wire just one inch and routing around to the other side would eliminate this potential problem without adding any cost or time. They guy at the factory already has to run the wire, route it, and connect it anyway. Routing it correctly takes no more time. That is just one of many things I can talk about. While I agree that a warranty shouldn't last forever, I feel it is underhanded, deceptive and sneaky to build a product by design to only last until the warranty is up. Like the wiring on the springs, that will likely last until the warranty is up before it cuts through the insulation and blows the fuse on your trailer brake controller since your rv only gets uses a few times a year. Then it is on you to diagnose and repair it, or PAY dearly for someone else to do it if you can't do it yourself. I can, and I do, but I get very frustrated when I feel I have to go behind and fix the things the original guy at the factory could have done right the first time if he just gave a darn. Again, while I agree the original poster overreacted, the manufacturers really don't build these things with any pride, and a trained eye can see this every time you pull off some trim or access panels to look at something. I feel like the designers are very good at utilizing the space, weight, and price restrictions they have to work with, it is the workers in the factory that seem to not give a hoot about the quality in the assembly process.
scottm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #19
therink

As long as we keep buying them, they will still sell them. I look at it this way: I have all the comforts of home (even better in some areas), for less than $30k. If I paid that much for a lake front cottage, you can bet it would be a fixerupper. Could RVs be built better? Sure. If you think about it, they cram a lot of luxury and convenience into a 35' box for a reasonable cost.
I bought it new, have had a few minor problems, taken care of under warranty. Warranty is now up and the rest I'd up to me. I now choose to use it, properly maintain it and to take care of the problems at my expense as they come up. It will do me no good to complain about my curling decals (yes I have those too). If i dont like them, i will remove them.
I'm just grateful that I can afford to have a luxury item such as an RV. We are taking off this Saturday for two weeks of camping. Life is good.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:57 AM   #20
mazboy123

extended warranty coverage?

i wonder if an extended warranty would cover either of these two things? i don't have an extended warranty but i can't image that they would cover either of these issues.

mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote