Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
gearhead

Michigan & Wisconsin or New York & Vermont

We have tickets to the NASCAR truck race at the Eldora track in northwest Ohio July 19. We have the route and CG's covered from Texas to there. We have been saying we want to escape the Texas coastal heat and humidity this August. I don't want to go to Ohio and then to Colorado. I was thinking just go further north from Ohio. Debating between New York and New England or just go up Michigan and around and down Wisconsin. Opinions? Will we be covered in bugs around the lakes in Mich or Wisc? I don't want to drive 400 miles everyday, like I usually do. Would like to "sit" for a week or so before moving on. Fish a little, hike a little, DW window shop. Maybe Ludington State Park?? Then around to the Wisconsin side somewhere.
I have found a couple of parks in New York and Vermont. Allegheny State Park NY and Winhall Brook VT.
I'm open to different ideas.
Thanks for all y'alls usual great help.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:14 AM   #2
Ddubya

We were in Michigan and Wisconsin last July and loved it. Beautiful area with lots of lakes and secluded campgrounds. The UP in Michigan was a favorite.
That said, upstate NY, Vermont,NH and Maine are also very nice. The whole area is small by Texas standards and you can cover most of it in a short time.
If you have not been to either area you really can't go wrong.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
Rex1vt

Michigan

Possible trip north from Ohio.
1.Shipshewana ,Indiana Amish area.
2.Mears/Petosky/Ludington area.
3.Sault Saint Marie, Michigan (locs)
4.Not familiar with western route.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
gearhead

We did the Montana factory tour last June after Indy. Toured around the Indiana Amish country a bit and enjoyed that. Considered doing the Ohio Amish country (Scenic Hills CG or Mohican SP) if we go east to new England.
We have always wanted to do New England. Probably lean that way since we will be close. Wife has ancestors around Poughkeepsie NY so we can swing through there and walk where they walked.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
instymp

All of your choices are beautiful. But.... If you do New England you have to go to Maine while you are there, the coast. But it is some driving.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
Rex1vt

From Poughkeepsie you could consider Lake George,NY area then central VT areas of Burlington,Waterbury,Stowe,Montpelier,Barre.Barre has an asphalt race track called Thunder Road,and nearby Bradford has a dirt track called Bear Ridge which is a real no frills experience.Your research will tell you if any of this offers what your looking for.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:32 AM   #7
bsmith0404

My wife is from Watertown NY. That part of the state is very nice, also home of Bob and Tim McCreadie. I enjoy the Alexandria Bay area of Lake Ontario. If you go there, a tour of Boldt Castle is a must. Of course the Adirondacks are beautiful. Lake Placid would definitely be a stop for me, but I'm a big hockey fan and the history of the 80 Olympics is fascinating to me. And Niagara Falls should be on every bucket list.

Myself, being from Wisconsin, I love the northwoods of Wisconsin the da UP. The lakes with great Walleye fishing are endless, just ask Babe Winkelman
One of my favorite areas of Wisconsin is the Eagle River area. Do a google search and look at the map of the surrounding areas. Draw a triangle between Pine Lake, Tomahawk, and Eagle River and you will see why it is a fisherman's paradise. Also a lot of national forest land that is good for hiking. Door county is a beautiful stop and of course the Wisconsin Dells area has some of the most beautiful hiking spots in the world.

Enjoy your trip.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #8
gearhead

"Barefoot Bob", a legend up north. I saw his son Tim at the Chili Bowl in Tulsa go end over end, over the fence, and land upside down. I'm thinking: this ain't good. There were folks there where he landed. No spectators hurt, but I think Tim broke his back. He healed up and got back in it. I'll see him in a couple weeks in Tulsa.
345 cars entered so far. http://www.chilibowl.com/gallery/
I plan to take Bigfoot since it's just me and my luck if I pull the 5th Tulsa will have another ice storm. Might do a fishing trip at Broken Bow OK. on the way home.

I've about wore my fingers out banging on the computer looking at Google map, and campgrounds. Got frustrated last night I thought about throwing the computer on the back porch. It's like pulling teeth trying to get info out of some of these websites.

Anyway..y'all have a Merry Christmas. I'm headed to Pappadeaux's to buy a couple gallons of gumbo. The kids and the new grandson are coming for lunch tomorrow.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #9
bsmith0404

check out the short track shootout coming up in Jan at the SNMS, should be a good show!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 12-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #10
gearhead

^^^just what I need...another race! lol

Looks like a good race...name drivers there. Heck of a purse too. I should try to get interested in late models. I'm fixated on open wheel non-wing stuff, mostly. Historical aspect I guess. I gotta go to the old tracks. We've done Eldora, Indy Fairgrounds, Indy, Bristol and Martinsville, among others. Still have a few to go...Kokomo, Duquoin, Springfield, and Darlington.
Apparently I'm what happens when you mix a history nut with a machinery nut and a RV.
hmmm..that would be simple...841 miles, 12 hours, get on I-10, turn right at the track.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
bsmith0404

I love watching late model racing, but that's what I grew up with. Jimmy Mars raced at the same tracks we did when he was younger. Ron Jones built our race cars (modified). They have 305 winged sprints at SNMS every other weekend during the summer and bring in the 360 non-winged a couple times a year.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 12-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #12
gearhead

I grew up with a fishing pole and a squirrel gun. My folks didn't know a race car from a rocket ship. I came by this racing stuff on my own. Somehow my sister has it too.
You ought to get on the ticket list for the Chili Bowl this spring.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #13
John&Tweety

We enjoy the Straits State Park just north of the Mackinaw bridge,also Munising city Campground on Lake Superior. In Wisconsin around the Boulder Junction area there are many nice private and State Parks,but the state parks would be boondocking,which we do for up to two weeks at a time. There are many beautiful lakes,and fishing.Usually the bugs are not a problem in August. Last summer DW and I did Ny. and Vermont,and Maine I think you will be happy with either route you choose! Hope this helps. John& Tweety
John&Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #14
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I love watching late model racing, but that's what I grew up with. Jimmy Mars raced at the same tracks we did when he was younger. Ron Jones built our race cars (modified). They have 305 winged sprints at SNMS every other weekend during the summer and bring in the 360 non-winged a couple times a year.
Love the winged and 360 sprints. Watch whenever we can.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
gearhead

Looking like it's gonna be Mich & Wisc. Wife says she's not "ready" for NY. She needs to do more family research.
I'm thinking Hoffmaster State Park, then Wilderness SP and then somewhere in Wisconsin.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to consider an "intermediate stop" somewhere around Traverse City or Empire. Sleeping Bear National Seashore is a "must see" as well as Sutton's Bay, Traverse City's "wine country" and the "Grand Traverse Bay" area. If you're going to be around TC during the salmon run, or the schooling, you might consider a "deep sea fishing charter". It's not uncommon to catch 30 pound salmon or lake trout in numbers that'll make you wish they'd stop biting..... After a day or two around TC, Wilderness State Park has a "brand new this season" full hookup campground. That's an excellent choice, then don't forget to stop at Mackinaw City, Mackinaw Island (yes, it's worth the ferry charges <about $50 for two round trip tickets> to the island). Once you get to the UP, Sault Ste Marie is very interesting as is Tahquamenon Falls State Park. A full day there to ride the train/boat to the falls is a "must see" as well. And, if you're into Indian cultural sites/Indian lore, make a "side trip" to the southern part of the UP and visit Kitch-iti-kipi which is just west of Manistique on US 2. Don't miss an evening watching the waves on Lake Superior at Munising's Tourist Park. If you can, make reservations for one of the campsites on the beach. I'd recommend site #1 (water/electric only) or site #72 (full hookups). Both are large and offer "your private beach" on Lake Superior. While in Munising, take the Pictured Rock boat tour and make sure you have lots of empty space on your camera's storage disc.

Where you camp, what you see is going to be "crowded and limited". We've lived here "off and on" for 50 years, spent every summer at our cabin (which is now our permanent home) and we've lived here full time since 2009. We've only "touched the surface" on things to see and do in northern Michigan, the Upper Peninsula has even more to add to that list of "must see"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #17
CWtheMan

If you're traveling with fire arms of any kind in your rig you have to be extremely careful in states like NY or MA. You can stop for gas and a snack but you can't spend a night there without risking real trouble if someone finds out you're camping with guns in those states.

We have traveled in all the states you have mentioned and really like the camping areas in the Michigan UP and across US-2 into WI and ND.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #18
66joej

If you are thinking about crossing into Canada at the Soo with firearms check before you do. Some firearms are prohibited and be sure gun, bolt and ammo is separated. I'm sure you know this anyway just a gentle reminder as a friend from AZ had a bit of a hassle at Coutts crossing in Montana.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #19
gearhead

Thanks to all! John I was hoping you would chime in. I looked at Muniseig Tourist Park this morning. It's sorta all running together but I think it was Munesing that was almost booked for our time slot. I need to get back to it quick and get reservations.
I try to keep up with the gun laws. This summer when I went to Maryland to get the Bigfoot, I stopped at Winchester VA. to unload and lock it up. How ironic.
CW: they pretty much assume a pickup with Texas plates is packing. I'm real careful and try not to give probable cause.
Plan C is for me and Bigfoot to do Glacier this summer. Maybe Banff also if I can figure the firearm logistics.
Maybe I'll get to eat one or two of those pastie things, or pastee, whichever!
You know the things that sound like they are a Whataburger taquito with rutabaggas!! lol
Old 12-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #20
notanlines

Gearhead, you better knock off the funny stuff about the pasties. Either that or John and I will leaving you eating one of the frozen things out of 7-11.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote