Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
summerhummer

How long does oxidation removal work on front cap?

Hi keystone Laredo 320 TG owner with brown faded front cap. I have tried meguiars #49 oxidation removal. The cap is looking a lot better. I have not applied the polisher wax or anything else yet but I will. My question is how long will this last if at all? I know painting is best option but they are wanting 2k for that so I am looking for something easier on my pocket. I will paste some before and after pictures but any advice if this luster is short lived will help. I can commit to waxing every 4 to 6 month but not more often. Is this a lost cause or do I have a fighting chance?
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:30 AM   #2
bsmith0404

It's not necessarily a lost cause, but oxidation depends on many factors. Do you store outside or inside? If outside, is the front exposed to weather or is it covered (RV cover or under a roof). Waxing helps, look at it the same as putting sunscreen on your skin. It does wear off. The more often you can wa, the better. It doesn't need to be done every month, but every 4 months is better than every 6 months. In most cases, using a sealer is better than wax for longevity, but wax is better than a sealer for shine. A true carnauba wax is good for about 3-4 months, a sealer typically about 6. The front caps are known for this problem, it'll never look great/new again, but you can keep it looking decent.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
Desert185

Thumbs up

The best product I have found for removing oxidation and prevention of further oxidation, along with having a UV protectant, is:

Top Gun Ultra Finish: Spruce P/N 09-00192

Been using it on my airplane and other vehicles for years.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
The best product I have found for removing oxidation and prevention of further oxidation, along with having a UV protectant, is:

Top Gun Ultra Finish: Spruce P/N 09-00192

Been using it on my airplane and other vehicles for years.
What material does that work on? Would it work on the front my TT? It doesn't have the cap.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
Irish Mist

I just brought my cap back from the old and faded. I used a product I use on the boat.. I have dark blue eyebrows over the windows on the boat and they fade like crazy.. I have found once recovered from the faded state If I re wax frequently it maintains the gloss.. I am hoping that holds true in this case. I do not think it makes a big difference which products you use as long as you do it. I do wish I had brought my buffer along as I can not get the high gloss By hand, but the difference is night and day.

Mark
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
What material does that work on? Would it work on the front my TT? It doesn't have the cap.
It works on paint, fiberglass, aluminum, plexiglas, etc. They used to advertise that it was used on Air Force One, if that's an endorsement for you. I haven't found anything better that lasts as long. I do my airplane every two years.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #7
summerhummer

Hi guys this trailer is stored outside in the Georgia weather 24/7. I think I go in it and camping too much to use a cover ( a minimum of 2 to 3 times a week) in winter . It is good to hear that frequent waxing can make the fade stay away. I think k I can manage a wax once every 3 to 4 months. If it keeps the grey away... I assumed since it was a new trailer Not waxing it would make it. Not as shiney and bright, I never thought it would fade to grey . I guess no one did . I hope they are getting this manufacturing issue with the gel coat fixed .... I mean I have a 30 year old brown boat that I don't wax and it still looks 70℅ better than the 2 year old brown keystone.. I took a pic let me try to post it... It's been w while since I have done this...
Old 12-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
summerhummer

top right side nothing.. left side oxidation removal started

tmp_6673-20161219_184309-2103272370 by fullblown_hbc, on Flickr
Old 12-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #9
SUnderwood

I used collinite 920 boat cleaner, and waxed it with collinite 925 boat wax
the cleaner removed all oxidation, and the wax left a high gloss
SUnderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:38 AM   #10
summerhummer

Thanks for the tip on Collinite 920, top gun ETC I had not heard of these products. I have been gone for about a week, it will be interesting to see how she looks with just the oxidation removal on. I will check on her today. I so hope that with a good uv protectant this fix works for an adequate amount of time. It seems like I will have to keep this thing waxed on the regular basis.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
summerhummer

I have been busy for a few weeks. net net I think this will work if I put a sealer on and a UV protectant and wax. So far this all I have attempted to do is oxidation removal. it took about 8 hrs (on and off) to get it to this point. Most time spent was three hours today. I usually get in 30 -45 mins after work before the sun goes down. I have never waxed anything in my life so you may be able to do a better job quicker. Below is another before then an after.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
summerhummer

Old 01-02-2017, 03:55 PM   #13
summerhummer

Old 04-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #14
Double b

I think we have the same trailer cap and problem. Mine is a 2014 Laredo 320tg.

I think you are chasing a bigger problem. It is not really oxidation, it is failing. I had to re clear coat the top of the cap last year due to the water based clear coat pealing off. Think early 90's hoods on car with the clear coat pealing off.

This is what mine looked like after washing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	12170

I called Keystone customer service after I had it re clear coated looking for new decals last fall. The woman stated that even though I'm the second owner, the decals could be covered under warranty. I never fallowed up on this. As they needed my Vin number and pictures of the issue. I only had the attached picture.

With talking with various RV dealers around me, this is a semi common problem with camper that sit for long periods of time. The cupboards need to be open above the bed to dissipate the heat that builds up and cause the clear coat to fail.

Seeing mine is fixed, I am currently looking for vents that I can add to cupboards to make sure this does not happen again.
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #15
Pmedic4

How long does Oxidation removal last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerhummer View Post
Hi keystone Laredo 320 TG owner with brown faded front cap. I have tried meguiars #49 oxidation removal. The cap is looking a lot better. I have not applied the polisher wax or anything else yet but I will. My question is how long will this last if at all? I know painting is best option but they are wanting 2k for that so I am looking for something easier on my pocket. I will paste some before and after pictures but any advice if this luster is short lived will help. I can commit to waxing every 4 to 6 month but not more often. Is this a lost cause or do I have a fighting chance?
Well, sometimes it seems like it lasts about a week, doing it one weekend, and when you go back, it's already back. But I do wax our RV cap once a year. The positive part is, it really looks good right after finishing the job.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:17 AM   #16
mfifield01

What's the warranty on the decals? Mine started looking horrible after about a year. They have some discoloration in them.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:04 AM   #17
Double b

Well was out where the trailer is stored last night and noticed the clear coat is pealing more, so I will be contacting the company looking to get new decals.

Right now the whole cap will need to be stripped of the clear coat and repainted.

When I go and pick it up in a couple weeks I will post pics and the process of getting new decals.

Does anyone else have experience on ordering new decals?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #18
mfifield01

I removed my oxidation last weekend on the front area. I used Meguiar's M4916 Marine/RV Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover and an orbital buffer. It came out really well. I put Zaino (synthetic polish) on it after.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #19
Double b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I removed my oxidation last weekend on the front area. I used Meguiar's M4916 Marine/RV Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover and an orbital buffer. It came out really well. I put Zaino (synthetic polish) on it after.
If you used a buffer plan on it looking like this next year. The clear coat will peel. Better off having the whole cap clear coated when you get it off. This looked great last year. This year the remaining clear coat is pealing off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	12504

Problem with these caps is they used the lowest cost clear coat that automotive reject due to similar failures years ago.

Your best bet is while it is looking good, go have a local body shop give it another good coat of clear, but a way better grade of clear than what they used. What product I cannot tell you, not my trade. I always refer to my buddy that paints car professionally directly for the big three.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #20
mfifield01

I don't have the front cap. I assume it's the filon on the front (same as the sides).