Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 05:59 AM   #1
RICamper

Using fridge on propane question...

As a newbie, I have a question about running the fridge on propane while traveling down the road. Since the rig is supposed to be level in order for the propane to run the fridge, how well does that concept work while traveling through hills and mountain highways? Will the propane run the fridge with no problems while driving through Colorado? If so, doesn't that contradict the level-rig rule? Thanks in advance for any input!
Equalizer Hitch System
RICamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:12 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I've never had a problem with this in my camper. The problem comes about when the coolant is boiled out and blocked. Probably a better way to say this. Traveling on hills and mountains does not create this problem for a long enough time. Fret not while traveling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Bingo when travelling there is enough movement that the coolant cant puddle in the corners. I have always left my refer running on LP when travelling.

There are some areas of the country that require the LP tanks to be turned off before crossing a bridge or entering a tunnel. We don't have that restriction where I do my camping so I don't have a list.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Richard Noble

I live in the mountains of Colorado. I've never had a problem (with 4 5er's) running the frig on propane. I did modify one 5er frig to run on an inverter powered by two 12v batteries charging directly from truck alternator. While this was a fun mod I do not see the need (except maybe for safety while fueling) to do this again. It is easier to turn off the propane when fueling up.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Keep in mind, with an absorption fridge, the level issue is for any fuel and not just propane.

It doesn't take much out-of-level to prevent the ammonia-and-water solution from flowing back to the boiler. The concern is the heating of an empty boiler.

If you look at the cooling unit, the lines run back-and-forth, slightly downhill. Gravity is what brings it all back to the boiler. An out-of-level condition (side-to-side for fridge; normally front to back for trailer) can cause the return lines to run uphill... or the line from the absorber to the boiler to go uphill and prevent the boiler to stay filled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

While parked, an RV absorption refer can be 3 degrees off level and operate without any issues.

While running down the road, there is enough motion to move things in the right direction.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote