Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
KYFamily

2013 Avalanche Tank Leak

Well I came back to a mess last week while camping. Our last day we headed out on a drive and when I came back to our site the underbelly was pulled away a little and water pouring out. I was dump founded at first because I knew I had turned the water off before we left. Well, it was the grey tank for the shower and sink. After making our underbelly look like swiss cheese to get the water out. I decided once I got home a would take a look at see what the issue was. I already called the dealership and set up an appointment just in case.
This weekend my brother and I took the underbelly completely down and found about a 1 inch crack about 12 inches from the valve middle ways in the tank. Since I didn't have anything to lose I went and bought a plastic tank repair kit and along with it used some JB Weld plus enternabond that I already had. So far after 3 days of the tank being full I have not had it leak. I'm thinking about just canceling my appointment and playing it by ear. The insulation was ruined do that has been removed for the time being. If it starts leaking again I just bit the bullet and have a new tank installed.
I did wire tie my wires while the underbelly was down as they were loose everywhere. They really do just throw these things together.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:54 AM   #2
Dave W

That ain't good!!

If the belly is still uncovered, I would probably get the dimensions and where the penetrations are or even a part number off that tank - ours have stickers - so you can at least tell the dealer what is there or possibly even consider the replacement yourself if the tank splits again. I patched one years ago and it still held after ~15 years, probably over 50K more miles, and including down the road with the new owner.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote