Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
dave67

Landing gear switch?

I have a 2011 Alpine which they put the landing gear switch in by the battery compartment.I was thinking of moving it or tapping off of the one thats there and put it in its own housing on the drivers side.Does this sound like a easy project or bad idea?
dave67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
rgwilliams69

I kind of like the idea of having it in a lockable compartment where no one can get to it and it is out of the weather. Of course we camp at a lot of racetracks where they are sometimes folks who will mess with stuff if it is out and available. Ditto goes for the landing gear lights.

Would have been nice though to have it on the driver's side, although there is plenty of room for me to walk under (between the tailgate and camper) when I need to adjust it. Or I just have my wife do it.

If you do move it I would make sure that it was intended to be out in the weather though.

Good luck!
rgwilliams69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
dave67

I would have it in a lockable enclosed area yes.Just on the drivers side.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
mikell

somewhere lately I saw key switch that was momentary in both directions with a center off. But thats just another key to keep track of
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Johnnyfry

Adding landing gear switch

Just a thought here. The landing gear motor is a pretty heavy current load and you should take care to use heavy gauge wire (10AWG or larger) if you plan on extending the switch location. These motors are already sensitive to voltage drop and run best with the rig connected to the TV with engine running.

Momentary key switch is a good idea, but again, watch the current rating or it will smoke in short order. An elegant way to do this would be to use relays, but, of course, this makes the project a lot more complicated.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
dave67

I would be using the same gauge wire thats on it.And as far as having the truck running when extending the jacks is not a issue.My batteries have a plenty of juice to put the jacks up or down without the truck hooked up.I'm thinking of just using the original switch and doing a relo of it.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
bruno4

pull the fuse

My 2010 Cougar has the landing gear switch on the outside
to the right of the large door where the battery is stored. I don't
like the idea that someone can mess with the switch while I'm
gone and maybe tweak my frame while the camper has it's
rear stabilizers down. My solution? I pull the fuse inside
the cargo door. All power still works inside, just the landing
gear is disabled. Yes, anyone can pry open the door, but
if they do that, they can just as well break inside. Just
because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to
get me.
bruno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno4 View Post
My 2010 Cougar has the landing gear switch on the outside to the right of the large door where the battery is stored. I don't like the idea that someone can mess with the switch while I'm gone and maybe tweak my frame while the camper has it's rear stabilizers down. My solution? I pull the fuse inside the cargo door. All power still works inside, just the landing gear is disabled. Yes, anyone can pry open the door, but
if they do that, they can just as well break inside. Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get me.
My landing gear switch is in the same spot as yours. I'm planning to put an inline on/off toggle between the fuse and the switch. That way it's locked up and I don't have to play with the fuse.
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
Jim W

I sorry I do not have the time to worry over something like this. I have own two 5er's and both have had the front landing gear leg switch on the outside. I have never had nor have I seen anyone mess around with the landing gear switch.
If this is all I had to worry about then I would stop camping.

Jim W.

P.S. I bet you even want to paddle lock in the hitch to the bed where the quick connect pins are?
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
I sorry I do not have the time to worry over something like this. I have own two 5er's and both have had the front landing gear leg switch on the outside. I have never had nor have I seen anyone mess around with the landing gear switch.
If this is all I had to worry about then I would stop camping.

Jim W.

P.S. I bet you even want to paddle lock in the hitch to the bed where the quick connect pins are?
Seriously...? Nothing like a bit of condescension to help the thread along. Personally I think it's a good idea, but I'm sure I'll change my mind when I'm older and wiser.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Paddler

This is probably going to be more work than you'd want to do but... My rig has the controls for the rear stabilizer and front landing gear in a locable compartment on the left side. Do an internet search on "JR Products Multi-Purpose Hatch" or follow this link http://www.jrprvinc.com/catalog.php?link=utility
Hope this helps,
Old 05-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

A simple plastic 110 volt gray box and a 110 volt light switch, mount the box inside your front compartment, cut the power going to your outside switch, wire it to one side of the new "light switch" and the other side of that switch to the other end of the cut wire. Install switch in the box, put on a cover to make it look pretty, and you have a "off/on" switch inside your front compartment. If you don't want power to your outside switch, just "flip" the inside switch off to disable the outside switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A simple plastic 110 volt gray box and a 110 volt light switch, mount the box inside your front compartment, cut the power going to your outside switch, wire it to one side of the new "light switch" and the other side of that switch to the other end of the cut wire. Install switch in the box, put on a cover to make it look pretty, and you have a "off/on" switch inside your front compartment. If you don't want power to your outside switch, just "flip" the inside switch off to disable the outside switch.
As a complete non-electrical type I have to ask.....assuming the amperage of the motor for the landing gear is over 15 amps, is it safe to assume the 120v switch has to be at least the same size?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
KenBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhansman View Post
As a complete non-electrical type I have to ask.....assuming the amperage of the motor for the landing gear is over 15 amps, is it safe to assume the 120v switch has to be at least the same size?
I was going to use the 120v switch route. Investigating further determined that the 120v switch would not handle the amperage load of the landing gear motor. (Opinions of electricians) I am going to use a 75amp push/pull switch just like the battery disconnect switch in our Fuzion.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #15
bruno4

It takes only one second to pull fuse

What's all the fuss about installing on/off switches?
It takes one second to pull the fuse.
Why not have a trained monkey living in the storage
compartment that will flip the switch for you?
It all seems silly to me.
bruno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Monkey Food

Quote:
Bruno, Don't take this the wrong way, it's not criticism, but I just couldn't resist..... Humor makes the world go around....

The reason not to have a trained monkey in the storage compartment is two-fold: 1) he'd fill the black tank faster and dry camping would be shortened. and 2) Monkey food, like gas/diesel, keeps going up higher and higher <wink>

I hope you laugh, it's not intended to be "mean" at all

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhansman View Post
I just checked the fuse on my landing gear and it's a "mini" 15 Amp fuse. Doing the math on that, I've got a max of 180 watts to drive the motor. That calculates out to less than 1 amp at 115 volts. Since the switch would not be opened or closed under load, but only before use of the outside switch, there is no "arc" danger to burn the contacts and the most I'd use my outside switch is about 30 - 45 seconds at a time, there's very little (if any) chance of overheating. The only problem I could imagine is load capability to maintain the full 12 volts at the outside switch, but I doubt that would be a problem. I'd try it if I were worried about someone playing with my outside switch, after all, if it doesn't work, the box is already there to install the 75 amp battery switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #18
pjhansman

Quote:
Sort of the RV version of a Trunk Monkey....?

Old 05-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
KenBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I just checked the fuse on my landing gear and it's a "mini" 15 Amp fuse. Doing the math on that, I've got a max of 180 watts to drive the motor. That calculates out to less than 1 amp at 115 volts. Since the switch would not be opened or closed under load, but only before use of the outside switch, there is no "arc" danger to burn the contacts and the most I'd use my outside switch is about 30 - 45 seconds at a time, there's very little (if any) chance of overheating. The only problem I could imagine is load capability to maintain the full 12 volts at the outside switch, but I doubt that would be a problem. I'd try it if I were worried about someone playing with my outside switch, after all, if it doesn't work, the box is already there to install the 75 amp battery switch.

What size wire is the 15a fuse attached to? The wiring going to our landing gear motor is 8g or 10g with a circuit breaker. May depend on the landing gear system and the weight the landing gear needs to lift.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post
What size wire is the 15a fuse attached to? The wiring going to our landing gear motor is 8g or 10g with a circuit breaker. May depend on the landing gear system and the weight the landing gear needs to lift.
It's a 10 G pink wire with a 15 Amp mini fuse. Assuming your trailer uses a motor double the size, with a 30 Amp fuse, you'd be using 360 watts to run your motor and that equates to about 3.1 Amps at 115 volts. As I understand the differences in AC and DC, DC has a bigger constant potential (no alternating waves passing through zero (ie: no RMS equivalent) which means DC sparks/arks more when you turn a switch on or off. As I said earlier, the inside switch would not be used when the outside switch is being used so there'd be no potential to throw the inside switch when there is power on it causing it to spark and burn the contacts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS