Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2016, 06:45 AM   #1
{tpc}

DC Trip

I posted this in another forum, but I thought I would re-ask the question here as it seems to have gone a few different tangents in my last try lol.

We are going to the DC area for the 4th of july this year. Yes I know it will likely be hot, and require lots of hydration. The weather is what it is, and I've learned to try my hardest not to freak out over it prior to trips. I mean if there is a hurricane coming through thats one thing. But rain, hot weather, cold...we can figure it out.

Anyways, traveling from michigan to DC there appears to be some options. I prefer to stay away from steep grades and stuff like that, but everything I have looked at so far doesn't appear that it will be that big a problem. We are not in a hurry either way this trip. We will be leaving late in the evening the weekend before and coming back before the weekend after (we will likely find a CG on the way home just for the heck of it).

We are staying at pohick bay, which is actually south of DC in virginia.

So I'm trying to find a route that will be an easier ride, but doesn't add hours to the trip. I don't mind the less traveled highway as they usually mean less semi's to deal with. I don't care about paying tolls or not. I do care about construction, but heck thats everywhere anymore so while I don't seek it, I won't go out of my way to a great distance to avoid it.

I'm planning on the trip taking all of 10 hours, even though the best way through google says 8 1/2. We would be coming out of michigan i-75 south.

Any thoughts on this? i-68 has been recommended, but aside from traveling further to get to it and not having to pay a toll, I don't see much benefit. Eventually it seems I have to hit the beltway on the west side after we exit pennsylvania anyways to make it to my destination. But not having driven around pittsburgh, maybe its worth it to avoid pittsburgh and the penn toll road altogether?

Also, when we go into DC, my original plan was to drive into the springfield franconia metro station and take the metro in from there. But then I also read about the VRE, so maybe we might do that instead. I'm not sure which is better. For one night we are staying in DC, so we will need a spot to overnight park. I know that the metro has 15 spots available for this, but I imagine they may be taken. I'm not sure if you can overnight at the VRE station, so the plan for that night may be driving all the way in, which I don't look forward to...but it is what it is. So if you have any suggestions about that, feel free.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
allmi01

I can't speak about all the way to DC but I made a couple of trips across the Ohio Turnpike and the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) last year.

the Ohio part on I-80 was good even though there is construction, it moved well in almost all areas. Tolls a little high but not as bad as PA.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) is loaded with construction (most were multi-year projects to add lanes). Also the road was not the best and you have a couple of moderate grades to go up / down and 3 tunnels. Tolls are outrageous!

If you go to I-70 you might find things better although I-70 shares the I-76 road around Pittsburgh and in the mountains. I-80 (yes more northerly and thus a longer drive) is tool free, a decent road, no grades really to deal with. Cut south on I-81 or I-95 in New Jersey (although I-95 is a toll road).

Just my .02. Happy and safe travels.

Mike
Old 02-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
Tbos

DC Trip

If you are interested in camping closer to DC Cherry Hill in College Park MD is nice. They also have shuttle buses into DC. Fredricksburg VA KOA is nice too. If you can avoid the 95 corridor in Northern VA I would. It's always a mess. I-68 is a nice drive with a few hills but they should be doable if you choose to come that direction.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #4
spittman

PA Turnpike

The PA turnpike is absolutely the fastest way to go. Of course, if anything goes wrong (accident or construction) it is a nightmare. Last year, I went out west from Maryland. With EZ pass, it was $17.38 to go from Breezewood to the Ohio Turnpike (which is what you would do except going east). The Ohio turnpike (all the way to Indiana) was $25.25. I assume you would pay a little less because you wouldn't go all the way through Ohio. Both PA and Ohio allow you to tow a trailer with a normal EZ pass. They automatically charge you for the extra weight/axles, so make sure you have an EZ pass. Saves time and money. 68 is an alternative. It adds about 2 hours in my experience, but generally I've had as many issues with traffic on it as I have on the turnpike. Try to plan your trip so you're not on the PA turnpike during peak hours. Either early in the morning or late in the day and try to avoid Friday and Sunday.
spittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
GaryWT

We went to DC last Sept. Great trip, we stayed at Cherry Hill which was great and we came from MA so can't help with the drive. We went into the city 4 different days and were about 30 away. Went in at night once which was great. We drove in but parking can be tough and be ready to walk or get a bus pass to the hope on hope off tours. Be careful if you drive in and park in a garage, they close at 6:00, happened to up one Memorial Day. Enjoy you trip, hope it all works out.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
{tpc}

Thanks for the replys. We thought of staying at cherry hill at first but then I heard about pohick bay, and it appeared to be more of a "camping" scene. While this trip is more of a use the TT as a hotel type of deal, we still like to get some camping in lol.

I think we will probably end up using the google route most of the way, but I may set it to avoid the toll roads. A lot of our travel time will be during off-peak hours for commuters but if IIRC, this is more peak time for the truckers lol.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
skidooxman

I work in DC and live out in Western MD, parking is ok if you park at Union station, it's 24 hours. PM me if you have any questions. Stay off I-66, if you can come I- 68 to I-70, to 270 to 495 over to I 95 south.

Sent by my German Shepherd
Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
chris199

Have stayed at Cherry Hill in 2013 and Pohick Bay in 2014 and 2015. No comparison. Pohick Bay is BY FAR a nicer Campground. Cherry Hill is large, tight...has more a KOA space allocation..more commercial not wooded at all. Pohick Bay is wooded...large sights...seems remote but really not that out of the way. VA has great municipal CG'S. Can get to the Metro easily. If you have kids there is a water park in the same overall complex but a fair distance from the CG area. Highly recommend Pohick Bay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #9
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
Have stayed at Cherry Hill in 2013 and Pohick Bay in 2014 and 2015. No comparison. Pohick Bay is BY FAR a nicer Campground. Cherry Hill is large, tight...has more a KOA space allocation..more commercial not wooded at all. Pohick Bay is wooded...large sights...seems remote but really not that out of the way. VA has great municipal CG'S. Can get to the Metro easily. If you have kids there is a water park in the same overall complex but a fair distance from the CG area. Highly recommend Pohick Bay.

Did you happen to park overnight at any of the metro stations close to pohick bay? Or did you happen to use the VRE going into DC at all?

Cherry Hill did look pretty cool, but the tighter spacing there and the more wooded area of pohick bay made the decision for pohick bay easier. Even though we are using it as kind of mobile hotel room, I still want to feel like I'm camping. Not that it wouldn't feel like it at cherry hill, I just prefer the more wooded area.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:14 PM   #10
chris199

We never parked overnight at the Metro station. Not sure what the VIEW is so no...I don't think so. We always used the Metro.

Agree regarding woods, etc at Pohick....we really like it there. VA campgrounds are very good!!

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #11
hankaye

{tpc}, Howdy;

Having lived in both Virginia Beach and Southern Ohio, and having
traveled back an forth numerous times. I've been thru your section of Mi.
on my way to cross into Canada just north of your given location.
Easiest way that I could recommend for you to route your self to the DC
area and stay away from the toll roads would be ...
I-75 south to Ohio, exit onto I-280 S it will turn into Oh-420, just past
the Turnpike, continue South about a mile and then turn Left onto US-20
EAST (it a funny interchange Google to see what you need to do), about
a mile later you'll want to turn South onto US-23. That will take you through
Fostoria, then to Carey. South of Carey, it turns into a 4-lane divided all
the way to Columbus. Take I-270 East until you can jump onto I-70 East.
Stay on I-70 through West Va. and climb onto the Pa Turnpike at
Washington, Pa. and run that to Breezewood, Pa. OR ... jump off I-70 onto
I-79 S to Morgantown, Wva. where you can turn East onto I-68 East and
into Western Md. You'll join back up with I-70 E there. Travel East to I-81
where you can go South until you find US-17 at Winchester, Va. Take
US-17 East and it will take you South of DC. and you can catch I-66 E ...
options are yours ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:35 AM   #12
{tpc}

Thank you for the info! It is very helpful!
Old 03-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #13
Ram189

I would suggest Little Bennet park in Montgomery Co.

They are around 10 miles from the Shady Grove Metro station and a straight shot to get there from the campground.

If you want to get further out try Gambrills State Park in Frederick.

No electric or water but they do have a nice bath house and dump station. I take my 338BHS there to dump it so you can get in and out with little problem.
A lot of hiking, ect out there also.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #14
{tpc}

Just reporting back that pohick bay was a great place! Of course our trip was not without its pitfalls, falling is actually a good term to use, as I slipped and fell in the cg shower. Thankfully it was after the WH tour and 4th of july stuff, but did cause us to miss monuments at night tour.

Being in DC for the 4th was a pretty neat experience but the weather ruined the experience of the 4th fireworks. I really wish they would have rained them out...but they have some dumb streak of xx years of fireworks going and didn't want to mess it up I guess.

hankaye's directions were very helpful. The truck/trailer made it, though we did have some slowdowns and some needs to cool off at times. Going there the weather was great, and made for a cooler running temp, like 75 and no humidity. Coming back was the opposite, like 95 and 80% humidity.

Tried to stay in a PA campground we found off of reserve america ( I think?) site on the way back. Cost me $25 for one night and a 45 minute trip to and then from it when we decided on not staying there. Didn't realize it was unmanned, empty, in the backwoods with no cell signal. Wife was not having it. So we found a place off the interstate just inside ohio that was pretty nice to break up the way back. Of course a big storm started to roll in early the next morning so we busted out of there quick to beat it out and get home.

Still fun times. Well except for the fall lol.