Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Yosemitebob

EMS HW50c surge protector install

OK, so I've been using the portable surge protector that plugs into the pedestal, but alas it was absconded by someone that must have needed it more than I. I wish him/her well. So finally I'm installing the hardwired version. I picked the Progressive HW unit over the LCHW unit as the latter does not have the remote. Ya, I'm into remotes. I don't like having to bend over or get on my belly to see what is happening. So, I'm offering several pictures as to where and why I put it where I am. First, PULL THE PLUG FROM SHORE POWER, don't just turn it off with the pole breaker. Now pull the breaker box assembly to determine the size of the incoming cable. It should be 6/3 for 50amp service, but now-a-days, who knows for sure without physically checking. Mine was 6/3 - what that means is #6 cable and having 4 wires. Yep, it says 3 but it actually has 4. This is because they never count the bare copper cable (ground), don't ask me why that is its just what they do. OK, now your going to have to pick a place for the surge protector. I took the cabinet just above the breaker box, my boss (wife) doesn't use that small cabinet anyway so it is perfect for the location. It is close to the panel and high enough where if I need to work on it I can. I wanted it off the floor where the converter is along with the water pump which are both behind the panel, there is enough down there and besides it hard to get to that area. They (manufacture) gives enough of this inbound cable to be able to pull the panel out. That is lucky, as there was just enough to go through the cabinet base to the open area above. I then took a careful measurement of the 6/3 cable I am going to buy. Allow for any turns you want to make (to make it look good, I'm into that) so even though the new unit is only above my panel I needed 4' to accomplish the return from the surge protector back to the panel where I originally took off the lines coming in. I should say make sure you put every color back where it came off. A picture does wonders, of your set up, to compare to the books. As I said earlier, you don't know if someone else has been in there before you. So as you can see in my pictures, I am set and ready for the surge protector to arrive via UPS, in a few days. But all this, including getting the cable at the hardware store only took two hours. Now all I have left is to literally, install the unit. I continual this when it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Protector-0855.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	8885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Protector-0860.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	8886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Protector-0861.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	8887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Protector-0862.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	8888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Protector-0863.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	8889  

1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Nice looking job. Hopefully the protector installation goes quick and easy....then the bad guy will have a much harder time taking next time. BTW, the cable you used is a 6/3 W/G. 6 gauge, 3 conductors w/ground = 4 wires
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
GMcKenzie

I still have to install my 30 amp version, but my power comes in under my fridge and there is a nice spot where I can just take out the junction box and put in the unit. Run the wire for the display up above the fridge and I can see the status without bending down.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
Yosemitebob

OK, I'm 95% done. I couldn't find a coat hanger to feed the remote cable through the wall up to my control panel area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Surge Protector-0901.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	8984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Protector-0902.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	8985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Protector-0904.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	8986  
Old 07-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
I still have to install my 30 amp version, but my power comes in under my fridge and there is a nice spot where I can just take out the junction box and put in the unit. Run the wire for the display up above the fridge and I can see the status without bending down.
Well.

No way in hell was I getting to the junction box like I thought. It was well back in the compartment. So I've cut the power line and installed thos protector where I could reach.

And I also still have to fish the remote cable up somewhere.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
Yosemitebob

OK, I finished it up. Fished the wire up the wall and put the remote under the Solar Control remote.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Control wall-0958.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	9154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Control wall-0956.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	9155  
Old 07-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
cardinal96ss

Progressive install

Very nice job. Enjoy.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Yosemitebob

So I put the protector through some tests today. First I plugged everything in and through the 50a breaker, and all worked well. I then decided to remove one leg and put it to the test, passed that one too, read it well. As an added test, sense I have a protector, I reversed the neutral and ground wires coming in. Would not let anything work showed an error. I like this. All seems to be well. At lest now I can go ahead with the inverter install.

Thanks all.