Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
Steve S

LP shutoff

So I was thinking this morning that in my days of having trucks and campers the campers always had an LP shutoff valve right by the back doors.
As there's been 2 times that my wife has turned on the stove and forgets to light it as the phone rings. I'm always checking things twice before we ever leave!
Does anyone have a setup like this?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose there's always a reason to rig a safety device into most anything, but for most campers, an LP master shutoff probably wouldn't be practical. When dry camping and for most of us, when travelling, we need the LP to run the refrigerator. A "total shutoff" of the LP system would also likely require purging the lines once it's turned back on. That would cause failed furnace ignitions, failed water heater ignitions and refrigerator failure if it's not noticed "in a timely manner"....

While a "safety solution", it probably wouldn't be practical for most of us. Sometimes, just following behind the DW and being sure she hasn't forgotten might be the best measure.... After all, most of the times the situation has occurred aren't times that a "system shutoff" would have been in use??????

We have a gas range at home, never thought of (or heard of) a house safety shutoff that would be practical for home, travel trailer is "home" on the road. I wouldn't want one on my rig, at least not for a "when we leave" type of use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

If your LP gas detector is anything like mine you would not be very far from the door before it started sounding. My trailer is stored around forty feet from my house and I can hear the alarm inside my house.
Even in our stick home we both check to see that no water is running and everything else is off that needs to be. If you can remember to turn a main valve off, you should be able to check the stove before leaving. After a while it becomes a habit just like locking the door. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
GaryWT

There are some days that I get so confused over the simple things. So are you saying that the stove in the camper is on without lighting it but then instead of cooking you leave but find the gas on or are you talking about you house before you leave to camp. Sorry I just have problems following things sometimes. Not all campers have a back door but they all have a shut off on the tanks. Have never seen anything else in 25 years. As a kid we had propane at our summer place and it was 2 hundred pound tanks and the only shut offs were at the tanks.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We have a gas range at home, never thought of (or heard of) a house safety shutoff that would be practical for home, travel trailer is "home" on the road. I wouldn't want one on my rig, at least not for a "when we leave" type of use.
We have a gas range as well. We installed a new gas fireplace this winter, and a code requirement is to have a on/off valve with easy access. It's curious that this isn't required for gas appliances. I had never thought of that before.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We also have individual gas appliance shut-off valves on the gas supply line to every gas appliance. I haven't seen them in any RV. In fact, I don't know how you could install one on the RV range, the furnace and the water heater and have them accessible. I'd guess that the reason they aren't a requirement is because the gas bottle is readily accessible and the "main shut-off" is located on the bottle.

What is being discussed is a "master safety shut-off" located by the "back door" to shut down everything upon leaving.... I don't see that as a viable option for dry camping and even for versatility even when connected to shore power, it would limit the ability to run the A/C in a 30 amp trailer if you have to run the water heater and the refrigerator on electricity upon leaving (so you can shut down the gas system).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Pleasureway installs 12VDC shutoff solenoids on the supply line at the tank. Probably because the tank is tucked up under the unit onside the frame. The switch is located in the compartment that houses the city water hook up and shore cord receptacle.
I suppose one could install one in-line before the appliance and route the wires for the switch to wherever.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
Steve S

Well the simple solution turned to be an easy one
I simply put up a small chalkboard by the door with three simple things to check before she goes out and it's working great!
Old 04-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Sounds like a good solution, that is, until she tries to turn the chalk board around so the "clean side" is showing.........................

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sounds like a good solution, that is, until she tries to turn the chalk board around so the "clean side" is showing.........................
Yeah but I was smart and used velcro, it takes a bit of pulling to get it off