Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #1
trueweb

Replacement Outside Lights (Scare lights??)

Hello, Just need a little help finding the right lights and what they are called. I think I've seen them called "scare" lights on web sites I've visited, but that just sounds strange. On my 2008 Raptor they used these lights on the ceiling of the garage and on the outside near the front cap and door as exterior lighting under the awning. The ones on the outside are getting some surface rust on them and I want to replace them before that leads to other issues.

Are they really scare lights? Has anyone purchased a set they liked?

Thanks!
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
randy69

just paint them with high temp bbq white spray paint. Just replace the Incandscent bulb 1106 with led.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Sometimes they are referred to as flood lights.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Sometimes they are referred to as flood lights.
Chuckster57 my round lights are called security lights. But I do have couple of flood lights in the back. I also have 2 of the same round lights in the garage area I wonder what keystone calls this?

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If you can post a picture showing the light and the exterior, I can have my warranty guy go to the "dealer portal" on keystone and try to locate them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe these are the lights you're looking for: http://www.trekwood.com/products/196...-Surface-White

They are pretty much a standard item used on many different brands and are not Keystone exclusive. You should be able to walk into most RV parts stores and pick them up off the shelf. They are a "standard stock" item at Camping World in every store I've shopped in.

ADDED: There are about 6 or 8 different price range fixtures at Amazon.com, all are listed at less than the Trekwood fixture which is $21.72 plus shipping. Do a search for "RV SCARE LIGHT" on Amazon.com to pull the list.
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
Desert185

The bark activated, strobing, with siren featured ones are the ticket for those really scarey moments.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #8
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
Chuckster57 my round lights are called security lights. But I do have couple of flood lights in the back. I also have 2 of the same round lights in the garage area I wonder what keystone calls this?
Same here, I have 2 on the Camp side, 1 above the fuel station and 2 in the garage area. I replace all those with LEDs. They are bright and I can run them all night without having to worry about the batteries.

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:37 AM   #9
CaptRon

Not trying to Highjack but I bought my RV used. later found out that water had gotten in the scare light and ruined the sockets. Instead of replacing they just cut the wires and closed it up. One lens crumbled taking it off and the others is extremely yellowed. My thought was to buy new lenses and direct wire some type of LED solution. Anyone have any ideas? Another option would be to buy the sockets for these, install and then add LED. Being LED doesn't pull much amperage I could binford2000 this puppy and wire in two or three sockets to lightup the country side!!!
Finally I could just replace the whole thing.
Thoughts??
Old 06-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRon View Post
Not trying to Highjack but I bought my RV used. later found out that water had gotten in the scare light and ruined the sockets. Instead of replacing they just cut the wires and closed it up. One lens crumbled taking it off and the others is extremely yellowed. My thought was to buy new lenses and direct wire some type of LED solution. Anyone have any ideas? Another option would be to buy the sockets for these, install and then add LED. Being LED doesn't pull much amperage I could binford2000 this puppy and wire in two or three sockets to lightup the country side!!!
Finally I could just replace the whole thing.
Thoughts??
IF (and in this case that's a BIG word) you can find replacement lenses, they will probably cost as much or more than an entire new light assembly. Amazon has them from a number of sources for $15 - $25. It would probably be much easier to just buy new fixtures rather than try to find lenses to fit your existing lights that also have bad sockets and likely are also missing the gasket around the lens. I'd suggest "cut your losses" and buy new ones.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:36 AM   #11
CaptRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
IF (and in this case that's a BIG word) you can find replacement lenses, they will probably cost as much or more than an entire new light assembly. Amazon has them from a number of sources for $15 - $25. It would probably be much easier to just buy new fixtures rather than try to find lenses to fit your existing lights that also have bad sockets and likely are also missing the gasket around the lens. I'd suggest "cut your losses" and buy new ones.
Yea, there is certainly no gasket around either lens which would explain the water in them.