Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Excessive Temps thru tinted windows

We bought our 2014 Cougar High Country 319RLS at the end of February this year. One of the things pointed out on it was the large tinted, frameless windows. It was supposed to be a plus. We thought by looking at them they would cut down on heat coming through. We didn't get to use it this summer but when we got back and got to go inside we found it incredibly hot. The little self stick plastic doo dads that stick on the inside of your cabinet doors for spices had melted...the strips were just hanging in the air by long strings of goo.

We have tried opening the vents/windows and even turning on the AC. The AC ran all day and couldn't bring the temp down appreciably. After spending time trying to run the heat source down it appears the black windows are funneling TONS of heat into the RV. I put up shades, like you put in car windows, in addition to the normal blinds but they don't do a thing. Today it was only 75 and we are trying to get ready to go on a weeklong trip. It was hot inside and you could just feel the heat pulsing from the windows inside the slide area.

Are the black tinted windows a problem? If so, what is the solution for them projecting the heat into the unit? I don't want to put a wrap on it after all the stuff I've read about them. I had a fellow come out and price me a 30'x45' pad with a steel building over it at $30-40k....that's a lot of money. I'm not sure how you stop the heat transfer since the tint of the window seems to be causing it unless you cover the windows from the outside.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the RV sits on our property next door uncovered. The large tinted windows face the West and South...which is where the sun gets it. I could turn it around but it puts the door facing away from our house and easy access.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Bob Landry, one of our members, carried out a modification to his windows to address the same issue that you are facing. I believe it involved the addition of an exterior shade of some sort but you would have to search out his posts or do a forum search to find out more about what he did. Another option would be to send him a PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks Festus2. I'll see if I can find his posts. I thought about some sort of shade/awning but I've not seen any that would really work and I don't want to void the warranty either....but, I need to find an affordable solution.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Found his post and the product was EZSnap. Looks like exactly what I need. Thanks again Festus2.