Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
usandacat

Montana High Country 293RK

My DW had seen this rear kitchen on Keystones website and really liked the layout and amount of storage.

Not able to find one locally, we drove three hours, one way, to do the touchy feely thing to decide if we need to even consider it. We liked what we saw, with a few small exceptions.

Driving home I started wondering about gray tank locations. Does anyone know if this model has two gray tanks? One for the bath area and one for the rear kitchen sink? Gray capacity was around 90 gallon.

Any other thoughts on this model from owners?

Thanks, Ken
usandacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Keystone seems to have changed the way they utilize the holding tanks in some of their models. In some instances, the bathroom gray water "shares" the same tank as the black water or some other different configuration. At one time, there used to be a gray tank for the bathroom shower and sink, another for the galley and a third black tank used just for the toilet.

I doubt whether there is a single gray tank with a capacity of 90 gallons but there might be knowing how Keystone's "plumbing plans" seem to change. Be careful of what you see in the brochures or read online as designs, features and plans change AFTER the brochure has been published and BEFORE their website has been updated. Often, the dealer is unaware of these last-minute changes. I'd double check - no, triple check before you make a firm commitment to buy a certain model that you like. Make sure you will get what you ordered!

We don't have this model but do have a rear kitchen which we really like. Not everyone's choice but it does offer certain advantages. Layout/floor plans are very personal and if you can find one that you like and will work for you, I'd say go for it.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Our Cougar 290 RK has 76 gal. gray capacity (two 38 gal. tanks). I would guess that the Monty of a similar configuration would have two 45 gal. tanks also. But as Festus2 said, with Keystone one never can be sure.
We like the counter space of an RK model and the bonus of being able to use all facilities while on the road without opening slides .... a big plus for us.
The pull handle for the galley tank may be under the rear end of the slide and hard to access but I am pretty sure you have one.
I hope you enjoy your rear kitchen as much as we do, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
gearhead

Our Montana HC 305RL has 2 gray tanks. It has one drain valve in the "utility center" and the other is hidden in the usual spot just in front of the axles.
I really liked the rear kitchen but there was something about the 305RL the DW liked better.
Issues:
The 3 piece shower door is glass. The latch doesn't work (poor design), the doors will come off track and shatter. A pool noodle or something placed in the tracks may help. I'm using wooden corner trim.
The bedroom wardrobe left (street side) door latch doesn't work. The clear plastic strap on the floor is at the wrong angle. I used a 1.250" wooden dowel in the track behind the right door to secure the left door.
We have had major issues with the Dometic refrig. Basically it hasn't worked since we bought it in June. It's been back to the selling dealer twice and was diagnosed wrong. Now at an independent shop. Dometic has shipped parts 3 times. First was wrong, second was damaged, third was used parts.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
usandacat

Thanks for the replies.

I did see about a 2" black plastic pipe running from the back of the camper to the sewer hose hook up. No valve on the exposed pipe. if no tank, then you would have to be hooked to sewer to use the kitchen sink. So, I am assuming there is a holding tank with dump valve someplace else. The salesman didn't know. I will definitely find out for sure before a deal is made.

Gearhead, Thanks for the heads up on the shower doors. I had read something about the front closet doors latch not being good and the doors banging around. Hopefully they will get your frig fixed once and for all.

Thanks Ken
usandacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Barbell

A little off your main topic but you asked about other issues with the High Country. We looked at the HC closely and did not like the way the floor of the slides fit over the stationary floor. When slides are out, there is an offset of about an inch between the two floors.; tripping hazard for us old folk. In the regular Montana, this is not an issue as the movable floor mates with the stationary floor quite well. These were 2014 models we were looking at about 1 1/2 year ago. Can't say if they have made changes since but it was one of the main reasons we did not but the HC.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
pnwham

Yes, It has a second grey tank with the valve (not very convienently) located behind the wheels about 2 feet in from the side. We really like the layout of our 293RK, and have very few complaints. What has been said about the closet door latch is true, very poor design, but don't think the shower door is a problem as long as you check it before moving. The "catch" seem to want to loosen, so check for tightness and make sure the moveable latch is all the way down into the catch and I really don't think you will ever have a problem. We have about 5000 miles on our 2014, love the layout with everything important accessible with the slides in, etc. I wish there were a little more room between the table and the slide wall, but that is true on most layouts. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have on this model.

Rich - Birch Bay, WA - 2014 Montana HC 293RK towed by a 2014 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas with 4.10 rear end
pnwham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
usandacat

Thanks for the replies.

Good to know for sure that it does have a kitchen tank.

Yes, the table is very tight against the end wall of the slide. I guess they want it to look good centered on the window instead of actually using that side of the table. I figure we will just unscrew the table and move it some.

We also noticed the bed was a little tight on the closet door side, but not a big issue.

Now its time to get our ducks in a row, and see what sort of numbers the dealers are wanting to order one.

Thanks for all the help, Ken