Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
outwest

Damaged paper that covers wood

Okay, so a can of hairspray shifted in the medicine cabinet during travel and caused hairspray to be released inside the cabinet. This resulted in items being stuck the wood shelf below. Instead of being patient, questioning why items were stuck, and examining the situation, she yanked an item off of the shelf, peeling up chunks of the paper that covers the wood.

So, the question is, aside from ordering an entire new cabinet from trekwood (not gonna go that route ) what would you do to fix/coverup? I'm thinking hunt down some similar colored wood stain and using that, but wanted y'all's thoughts.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
GaryWT

In the med cabinet behind a door, would most likely to nothing. If it bothers you get some contact paper/shelf liners at the local hardware store and cut to size.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
In the med cabinet behind a door, would most likely to nothing. If it bothers you get some contact paper/shelf liners at the local hardware store and cut to size.
Not behind the medicine cabinet door; it's the shelf below

Just trying to keep rig looking as good as possible for when eventually sell it, ya know?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I would call the dealer and ask if they had any extra paneling. When we do repairs, the factory ships us full sheets. We cut what we need and save the rest.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
Steve S

Use pump hairspray not the stuff in cans
Old 09-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would call the dealer and ask if they had any extra paneling. When we do repairs, the factory ships us full sheets. We cut what we need and save the rest.
That's an idea, thanks. Dunno if I'll be able to have any luck, but worth a shot; tried to buy some spare wall covering, or even some seam tape and parts dept guy recommended I try a store that sells wallpaper and try to match up the pattern. Thank goodness for Trekwood. Got the seam tape from them.

@SteveS - Laf! Or cans that are small enough to fit in medicine cabinet with the lid attached *heh*

Old 09-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

There should only be 4 or 5 #2 square drive screws holding the cabinet to the wall. I can see three in the photo. If you remove it, it'll probably be much easier to work on replacing things from the back. You may find that once it's removed, you can scrape the damaged paper/vinyl off the cabinet and possibly find some contact paper that matches or that contrasts with the cabinet and just "redo" all the shelves to match.

If the dealership told you that about the tape, chances are they either "don't share" or "don't keep their scraps".... Hmmmmm

Anyway, most hardware stores have a rack display with a number of different contact paper rolls to select. Possibly one would meet with your (and the DW's) approval.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:32 AM   #8
GaryWT

I would take a look at True value or Ace for contact paper that matches and use that now that I see the situation.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

You may want to re-try the dealer and ask for the service manager. He may be more inclined to help you than the parts guy. I've had great luck with mine - and I've put him through the wringer. The parts guys are sometimes a little reluctant to venture into what may be a gray area for them. If the shelf itself is detachable they may even be able to order one of those from Keystone (although I imagine it is a complete unit) if you want it to look as though nothing happened. After that, you're back to repairing the existing damage.

Depending on the extent of the damage to the wood and the paper covering it, you may think about getting some 3M adhesive remover and spray what's left of the paper, let it sit then remove it. It might give you a better surface to try to re-seal and then re-paper.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
outwest

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas. Finally have some down time and did some more digging and pondering and I think I finally found an easy, and make it look similar to new, answer.

I dunno if they only recently added it, or if I didn't notice it when bought the spare seam tape from trekwood for the walls, but trekwood now has 24" wide seam tape in the same wood finish that was used for the wrap on the wood (holms maple) http://www.trekwood.com/products/265...24-Holms-Maple

If a person looks close at inside of the shelf (along inside edges) they might be able to figure out that it was redone, but it'll look a whole lot better than it does now.

I might end up taking it down from the wall like you suggested JRTJH because it does seem that it'll be easier to do a good job on the repair (a pain to take down and put back up, but..)

This will also sort out another issue that has been annoying me - there's a small, removable board under fridge covered with the holms maple wrap where they did a really crappy job cutting the board. It looks like what you'd get if you used a table saw with slightly bent shaft and a really dull blade. And, it was cut too small to boot. A spare scrap of wood from the shop, slap on a piece of seam tape, and that'll end up looking better than new. It's not a huge deal, because it's down low by the floor and nobody sees it unless they get down low or are sitting in dinette and look over and downward, but it's just been bugging me, you know? I guess it's my father's fault. He was OCD about work being done right the first time and could, at a glance, spot flaws in workmanship that most people wouldn't ever notice. I'm not as bad as he was, but. . .

Thanks again for all the input and tossing around of ideas, everyone. I do appreciate it. Now to get some of that ordered while it's still available