Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
Bar-OneRanch

slide out manual crank?

We are picking up a 2012 Laredo 335TG this Thursday from a dealer and did they come with a manual crank for the slide outs? If yes does anyone have a picture so I can see if there is one in this trailer when we get it?
Thanks, Chris
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Chinomax

My rig came with two crank handles. One for the rear jacks and one for the slide. Different size sockets. On my trailer the slide handle will not work as described. Take the time to crawl underneath and cut the wire ties and see what it would take to do the job. Mine needs a ratchet with a socket, no room for the long handle! Chino
Chinomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinomax View Post
My rig came with two crank handles. One for the rear jacks and one for the slide. Different size sockets. On my trailer the slide handle will not work as described. Take the time to crawl underneath and cut the wire ties and see what it would take to do the job. Mine needs a ratchet with a socket, no room for the long handle! Chino
This is exactly why I suggest that everyone who buys a travel trailer or fifth wheel do two things. First, gather all the tools needed to change a tire, then actually do it in the driveway. Next is to manually close the slides (also in the drive) and put all of the required tools in the RV.

There is nothing more frustrating than being stranded on a busy highway, out of cell phone coverage, have a tire blow (or even just lose some air) and suddenly find that your tow vehicle lug wrench and jack won't work,..... Or being in a remote campground, far from home and have a slide stuck in the open position and sitting "immobile and stranded" until someone comes to help.

If you have the tools available and have a general idea of what you did "last year" in the drive, you'll manage to "get 'er done"... But, if you "conceptualize, watch a U-Tube video and "hitch and go", will you be ready? There's a lot to be said for being "self-sufficient" as well as "self-contained".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Bar-OneRanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinomax View Post
Thanks, since the trailer we are getting is used, I hope the previous owner left something there.
Chris
Old 09-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Bar-OneRanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is exactly why I suggest that everyone who buys a travel trailer or fifth wheel do two things. First, gather all the tools needed to change a tire, then actually do it in the driveway. Next is to manually close the slides (also in the drive) and put all of the required tools in the RV.

There is nothing more frustrating than being stranded on a busy highway, out of cell phone coverage, have a tire blow (or even just lose some air) and suddenly find that your tow vehicle lug wrench and jack won't work,..... Or being in a remote campground, far from home and have a slide stuck in the open position and sitting "immobile and stranded" until someone comes to help.

If you have the tools available and have a general idea of what you did "last year" in the drive, you'll manage to "get 'er done"... But, if you "conceptualize, watch a U-Tube video and "hitch and go", will you be ready? There's a lot to be said for being "self-sufficient" as well as "self-contained".
I agree, this trailer has an electric level up system on it and you can be sure I need to figure out what to do in case of a problem before I have a problem.
Thanks
Chris
Old 09-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Tom

The Keystone web site has a video showing how to manually operate the slides. I got nowhere with the dealer but this video cleared it up.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
grayghost03

Have the dealer do a PDI and have him show you how to do it and what tools are required. This is part of a PDI provided by dealer. If buying it from an individual, have him show you.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
Bar-OneRanch

Well the previous owner did leave the manual cranks and the dealer went through the operation with me. I am concerned that on the front jacks the driver side has a plastic plug built into the wall for a crank but the passenger side doesn't and it won't quite make the angle through the access panel door. I was thinking about getting one and drilling the side of the new to me, trailer to install it.
It probably doesn't matter on one without the level up system because those have a bar that tie two front jacks together, but I wouldn't get rid of that system now if I had a choice! One weekend of camping and I want to know why I waited so long to get one.
Chris