Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Snider

Propane issue 2012cougar 328QBS 5er

My propane system has stopped working. Thought it was empty tanks but filled both up and nothing. It would come on for about 20 seconds and then shut off. I did some research and it sounded like a bad regulator so I changed the regulator today and still nothing. Someone told me it could be spiders in the line but would that cause all the appliances to not work? I was also wondering if it could be the single stage regulator that drops the pressure down to 30 psi? Can anyone offer any advice?
Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Any of the above. I'd recommend finding good checkpoints in the system and start working your way through to find where you are losing the feed. That should lead you too the problem.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
Brantlaker

I sounds like the line coming out of the Regulator is blocked I would remove it and run a wire through it to see if it is plugged. While it is loose turn on the propane tank next to it just a quick on and off see if gas come out of the regulator if ok then check the pipe that goes back to the Stove, Heater and Hot Water Heater the blockage should be before the first appliance if all 3 are inop. Good luck

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Hoojs12840

How fast are you turning it on at the tank? I had the same issue on my last RV. It had a super sensitive "leak protection valve" I had to turn it on really Sssllllloooowwww.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Snider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
I sounds like the line coming out of the Regulator is blocked I would remove it and run a wire through it to see if it is plugged. While it is loose turn on the propane tank next to it just a quick on and off see if gas come out of the regulator if ok then check the pipe that goes back to the Stove, Heater and Hot Water Heater the blockage should be before the first appliance if all 3 are inop. Good luck
That's great advice. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know. Very much appreciated.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Snider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
How fast are you turning it on at the tank? I had the same issue on my last RV. It had a super sensitive "leak protection valve" I had to turn it on really Sssllllloooowwww.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did try that still no luck.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
Snider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Any of the above. I'd recommend finding good checkpoints in the system and start working your way through to find where you are losing the feed. That should lead you too the problem.
I will be trouble shooting it tomorrow if the weather cooperates. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
bobbecky

The advise to open the valves real slow is great, buy before you do that, with both tanks turned off, disconnect both hoses at the tanks, then reconnect the hoses, then real slowly, open each valve. You must take the pressure off of the valves to reset the valves, which is done disconnecting the hoses. Worth a try before replacing a bunch of parts.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:26 AM   #9
jsmith948

Just another thought to add: On our 2012 5er, we had to replace the 'pig tails' that connect the tanks to the system. We had tried turning the tanks on very slowly (there is a great thread about this if you do a search) but still could not depend on the tanks to be automatically switched. The safety valves in the pig tails had failed. It was a $30 fix - no problems since.
BTW, if you change the pig tails, the fittings at the regulator end are different.
Best to take the hoses with you when you visit the store.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
Bushman512000

slow is the way

I have always had the no go so slow is the way I get it all working I bleed the stove and when the fire is blue all is good some times I also have to remove the tank hoses to bleed the system.A pain but easy to do after I had a few dry runs lol...
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote