Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2014, 04:38 AM   #1
ocbms

I have learned alot from a search

But I need more specific info to prepare to install hard wire surge protection.
The pictures from TT make the job look easy. A couple FW pictures say, It can be done.
My questions is more verification.
What materials will I need? Extra wire, Wire nuts/splices, ????.
Does the Electrical Entrance Cable always go to a Jct Box than the Breaker Protection Panel. How full is that Jct Box?
My problem is I have to remove a large section of basement board to see the back of the breaker protection box which may be buried 30 inches beyond through lots of excess wire and plumbing. My stairs are next to the door and the breaker/fuse boxes are mounted at floor level in the center. I have snapped some pictures inside that area by removing a end panel but I done see the Electrical Panel.
When I order the 50 amp Progressive surge unit and start the job, I don't want to slow down. Any suggestions are welcome.
2011 Ford F350 6.7 DRW CC LB
Previously had E350 Class C
ocbms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
superdog404
Gone Traveling

It would appear from a picture of a Montana that your breaker panel is under the computer desk. What I did on a 318sab was to take the panel off in back of the breaker panel in the basement. From there I removed the 6 gage wire from the panel and used that to feed the surge protector. I bought some new (same colors) 6 gage wire. I used that to wire from the out of the surge protector to the in on the breaker panel. Mounted the surge protector to the wall and tested it.
superdog404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Roller4Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog404 View Post
It would appear from a picture of a Montana that your breaker panel is under the computer desk. What I did on a 318sab was to take the panel off in back of the breaker panel in the basement. From there I removed the 6 gage wire from the panel and used that to feed the surge protector. I bought some new (same colors) 6 gage wire. I used that to wire from the out of the surge protector to the in on the breaker panel. Mounted the surge protector to the wall and tested it.
Ditto, that's how I did mine as well. When it comes time to upgrade, it's an easy out.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbms View Post
But I need more specific info to prepare to install hard wire surge protection.
The pictures from TT make the job look easy. A couple FW pictures say, It can be done.
My questions is more verification.
What materials will I need? Extra wire, Wire nuts/splices, ????.
Does the Electrical Entrance Cable always go to a Jct Box than the Breaker Protection Panel. How full is that Jct Box?
My problem is I have to remove a large section of basement board to see the back of the breaker protection box which may be buried 30 inches beyond through lots of excess wire and plumbing. My stairs are next to the door and the breaker/fuse boxes are mounted at floor level in the center. I have snapped some pictures inside that area by removing a end panel but I done see the Electrical Panel.
When I order the 50 amp Progressive surge unit and start the job, I don't want to slow down. Any suggestions are welcome.
Have not purchased my EMS yet, I would install the EMS where you can have easily access to the incoming Power in order to hook it up as well as take it out in the event the EMS fails and has to be returned. Not an expert, but my guess is that trailers without an outside shore cable plug have a junction box where the transition is from the outside shore cable to a standard service cable to the power distribution panel. If you have a shore cable plug outside the transition happens at the plug, therefore no junction box. Some people that have the junction box simply replace that junction box with the EMS and connect the wires. No extra wire needed.

No sure if you ordered the monitor it requires another wire to be run from the EMS and where ever you located the monitor. It is my understanding that the monitor is not only a monitor but in the even of a failure of the EMS you can regain power to your trailer from the remote. If you do not have this monitor you will need to get access to the EMS itself and manually do it there to get your power back on. Something to think of if you did not order a monitor.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
WaltBennett

On our Montana, the power is run from the rear receptacle all the way to just inside that basement panel where it comes up through a hole in the floor to the rear of the distribution panel, on the right at floor level just inside the doorway. Everyone who's posted about installing a Progressive (this is something I'm doing this year) on the Montana Owner's Club forum has mounted it in back of the basement panel and put a remote display above the dist. panel on the inside OR mounted one with the built-in display on that basement panel or made a hole for it to just have the display show.

I've had the basement panel off twice now and it's not difficult to do. Just a few screws and it comes right off. I'm probably going to mount one with the built in display on the inside, but put a frame of some sort around it. There appears to be enough slack cable to hook it directly to the Progressive's input side, but any big box hardware store will have the right gauge by the foot if needed. I usually tackle jobs like this knowing I'll have to make at least one trip for something before it's done and plan for it.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote