Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Hogpilot

New to 5th Wheels

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. First post actually. I have some experience with motor homes as well as small bumper pull campers. However, due to work requirements away from home, I decided to purchase a used 5th wheel RV. Found a nice unit already parked in a suitable camp ground near my work area. A 2009 Keystone Freedom Elite.

However, the gentleman I purchased it from, knew NOTHING about its operations as he purchased it used for his business manager, who lived in it for 6 weeks, quit his job and moved away.

Bottom line is, I've had no one knowledgeable about the unit to give a walk through showing how each system is to be used and maintained. The factory manual seems quite lacking as well as it refers to many systems generically and to seek the individual unit's manual, some of which I haven't been able to locate just yet; example being the water heater, or central heating system. Searching for a YouTube demo on this RV has so far been unsuccessful.

So my question is, does anyone know of an online asset that would give a good demonstration of the operations of this RV? Either a video or good and complete written operations manual.

Thanks.
Hogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Pmedic4

RV how to videos

There are quite a few RV how to videos, Maybe not specifically Fifth wheel, but many of the systems are identical. If the unit is in a permanent spot, you don't have to worry about the pump, since it is probably on a supplier water system. Your AC and furnace run off a thermostat, and they probably have a larger propane tank.

Everything else is out on youtube: just put " how to operate you RV ....."

Have fun!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
bsmith0404

The owners manual is generic because the rv manufacturers can and will change the brands of systems installed. You would probably have more luck searching for the specific product i.e. Dometic or Atwood and the model number of your unit than for the actual rv. The info you find may not be in your particular rv but the system info will be the same

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

In addition to the YouTube videos that are out there somewhere, Google is still there for you as well. By doing a search on "RV Hot Water Systems", I found numerous sites that will provide you with lots of information about the basics. Even though they are not specific to your particular model, they do give you a good idea of how the system works. There may be a different brand of HW tank used in the system but the method of heating the water and the way it moves from the tank to the HW faucet is the same.

The same kind of Google search can be used for RV Plumbing Systems, RV Heating Systems, etc. with good results.

If you are lucky, there may be some of the original appliance and other manuals in the RV somewhere. There might be one on the fridge, furnace, HW heater, converter, etc. If not, find the make and model number, Google it, and download the manual off the Internet.

Not sure exactly where you are "camping" but sometimes asking a camping RV neighbor might be worthwhile pursuing. Most campers are a friendly and helpful bunch who are only to glad to lend a hand.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
Hogpilot

Thanks. I'll look for the individual appliance models if I can find the info on them, then search for a video or two.

Some of these will take some looking since the appliance manuals cannot be located, making a determination of make and model installed is something I'll have to search for. For instance, the water heater again. I suppose there will be a placard somewhere on the unit outside if I remove the cover panel. From there I can search for operation methods on YouTube. I'm not completely unaware of these systems, but just need some specifics. For example, I know the water heater runs with both 120VAC and Propane. The switch on the outside panel is on, powering the 6 or 10 gallon (haven't figured out which just yet) tank electrically. But, for faster recovery time, switching on the propane source on the inside control panel is necessary. Problem is, the inside control panel switch is a 3 position switch with the middle position being "off". Either the "Up" or "Down" position will illuminate the red light until the pilot light kicks off the heater. I have no idea what, if any, difference the "up" or "down" position of the switch controls?

Unfortunately, the resident maintenance man was unable to provide any insight either. I was just wondering if anyone had seen a video presentation of how the RV is operated from an overall standpoint.
Hogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote