Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
Balldome

New purchase Laredo 2011 293rk

We are picking up are new laredo293rk this coming Monday. Is it a good idea to put an awning on the slid-out?
Balldome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Jim W

First welcome to the forum and your new camper.
Yes, I feel it is. This will help to prevent water and leaves from gathering on the slide out when opened.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Balldome

Thanks

Yes my wife and I have been RVers for 25 years started with a old pleasure-mate pop-up and for the last 10 we have had a innsbrook with bunks, all are children have grown up and don't need the bunks. Love the look and lay out of the new 2011 Laredo 293rk I will be posting Pix later Thanks.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
KanTC

Welcome Balldome, and congrats on the new Laredo!

We love ours, and there's a few other Laredo owners here too.
Pardon my confusion, but were you asking about window awnings or slide-out toppers??

Again, welcome to the forum.
Terri, the co-pilot [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
tampacamper

Welcome !!! I think he was asking about side awanings. They do dampen the rain hitting the bair aluminum on the slide.
tampacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Balldome

Thanks all

Yes its the awning that come out with the slid-out to keep sticks and things off the slid-out. Is that what it is called?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

We just had one recently installed over our single slide-out. I think most RVers who have slide toppers like them. A good investment.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
Flyguy

Welcome to the forum. The DH and I have looked at the 293RK and she loves the floorplan with the rear kitchen and the 60x80 queen bed. I like the all aluminum cage construction and the suspension system with the 5000# axles and the Equa-Flex unit. Just a word of caution! Be sure to do a through PDI at the dealership and while the dealer still owns it and have him fix anything that is wrong before you take possession of it. I know it's hard to be patient with all the excitement but it can save you a lot of grief in the end. A PDI checklist for download can be found here: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-Deli...0Checklist.pdf Good luck with your new TTer and happy camping.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
KanTC

Balldome,

Yeah, they can be called Slide Topper Awnings or Slide-Out Toppers, and even Slide-Out Kovers, depending on the manufacturers choice of wording & spelling. All basically serving the same purpose and helps keep leaves, sticks, rain, etc, off of the slide-out roof.

The confusion was on my part [sorry about that], but I'm just glad other members knew what you were asking. Funny thing is... we live in southern NM -- very little rain, very few trees, and where the sun shines approx 350 days a year -- so the first thing I thought of was needing shade, and adding 'window awnings'.

Enjoy that new Laredo & happy camping!

Terri, the co-pilot [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Balldome

Thanks to all

I Like this forum you all are very nice folks. THANKS again. I will be posting pix next week when we bring are new Laredo TT home if all gose well. Here is a question, this one has the new powered awning. How do they work and can you adjust for rain run off, and can you strap them down, and how bout hanging lights?
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
Old 10-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
Flyguy

Here's a link to the A&E 9100 power awning manual: http://www.dometic.com/FileOrganizer...r-guide_EN.pdf Give it a bit to load the PDF file then save it and see what it says about water dumping and adjustability. Well I looked through it and it didn't say anything about that so here's what one supplier has to say about it:

The 9100 Awning extends and retracts with the touch of a button inside your RV. No need to lift the hardware—a real plus on 5th wheels with basement storage. Knee Action design lets the awning fabric and hardware flex in moderate wind to prevent damage, and lets you walk out either end of the awning without having to duck your head. Improved hardware design offers a manual “rain shed” position and pitch adjustment of up to 24" for greater shade control. Its contemporary styling offers radius edges for a sleek appearance. The 12-volt motor is tucked inside the roller tube for a clean look and moisture protection. The double-sided reinforced vinyl fabric extends up to 8' and is protected in transit by a Polar White vinyl weathershield. An excellent choice for travel trailers and 5th wheels, the 9100 Power Awning mounts on laminated sidewalls, using flat awning rail. Easy manual operation if power fails. Available in lengths from 10' to 21' with standard or basement Polar White hardware. Mfr. 3 year warranty.

I have seen a manual knob adjustment for tilt control on the 2011 models so yours will probably have this.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Retired_Jim

Steve, welcome. Yes you just press the button and your awning goes down and back up when you want it to. Both sides have slide rails with a locking wheel to lower or dip either side for rain runoff. Yes they can be strapped down, but we always put the awning up when we are leaving (even if just to run to the store or town). You never know when a quick storm may come up. Your front rail has a small slit that accomadates hangers for lights.

2006 GMC Yukon XL
2010 Keystone Springdale 266RLSSR
Retired_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:02 AM   #13
HigginsPod

Smile Awning lights

We secured our awning lights on 1/2 PVC pipe (which my husband painted to look like the awning) in three sections that go together and then we clamp it to the awning in about 10 places. We can put it up quick and when needed to take down we can do it in less than 30 seconds.
2010 Chevy HD Silverado
HigginsPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
Outbackmel

Automatic Awning

If I may expound on the former comments We have this awning on our 2011and LOVE it...when you use the manual adjustment for rain; when the knob is holding it in place, should you need to retract, there is no need to go outdoors to do this. It automatically adjusts to a level retraction and stows correctly. We keep our RV in the mountains of N GA and the wind can come up often and fierce. We always run our awning in when visiting town and not depending on "luck" that it will miss us.

We used the heck out of this new awning during our first recent trip to the beaches of Destin, FL... great positive experience.

We have two; 50 lb cement GATOR COLORED" anchor pots at the GA "ranch" but no longer use them. Our neighbors will like that since we are only 3 of 200 who are GATOR fans in a home of GA Bulldogs

On our 2005 TT, we did the same in and out; rain tilt, only, of course, all manual labor and lots of grunting and groaning!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote