Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
crash

Always fun,yea right

Just washed the awnings, man it dont take long for the under side to get moldy,and washed the 5ver and waxed it(Holy Moly thats alot of real estate to cover) to get it ready to leave in acouple days.Making a short trip to Williamsburg Va to meet some inlaws coming in from Jersey will be there thru monday
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I found that staying ahead of the awning cleaning is the easiest approach. After it rains, we always open our awning to let it dry. When closed, it will still get wet as rain runs off the edges and seeps into the rolls to wet every inch of it. A quick brush and rinse with some Dawn once in a while seems to help prevent the hard scrubbing that comes with mold.

I know what you mean about lots of real estate !!!!!

I washed the "luv-bugs" off the front of ours every day on our recent trip. Thank goodness for understanding campground hosts

When we got back home, I washed the Cougar "top to bottom/end to end" and put on a coat of 303 protectant, slide seal lubricant and slide chassis dry lube. It took 2 days of "dedicated attention" (can't call it work) to finish. My DW did the same to the inside as I "attended" the outside. It's ready to go into storage after deer season. I "sort of" don't want to track mud and briars inside in November...... NAH, tradition is stronger than cleanliness

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
crash

yea DW was working away on the inside too.I take care of the cleaning and setting up on the outside and DW takes care of the inside,seems to work out for us so far
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
Old 10-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
gearhead

I just cleaned ours from the recent "big trip". I discovered that yes, I DO need to use the 9ft step ladder instead of the 6ft. I was cleaning the front cap standing on the shorter ladder and found I couldn't step down near as safely as I had stepped up. It was like: how did I get UP here, but can't seem to get down. Soap on hands, soap on trailer, front cap is curved with no handles on it! Throw the sponge on the ground and SLOWLY take a step down. Wheeeww.....

And I too left a pile on black love bugs at a campsite....Mid-South RV Park at Harrah's, Tunica MS. Good spot by the way.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We pulled from Alexandria down to Lafayette, then east on I-10/I-12 to Hammond. Going across the Achafalaya swamp, the luv bugs were as thick as snowflakes in a Michigan winter storm. There were times I had to turn on the windshield wipers to wash them off so we could see. I'd add that Henderson swamp is drier than I've ever seen or remembered it in 50+ years.

When we got to Hammond, it was either wash them off or smell them the next day. Same when we made it to Keesler FamCamp. Suprisingly, there were hardly any from Biloxi to Mobile and on to Pensacola. Believe it or not, there are still a few spots on the hood of my truck that I haven't got cleaned yet. Looking in some of the cracks and crannies in the grill, winds and black spots are still visible.

I know there must be some purpose for those critters, but for the life of me all I can imagine is that they are a way to keep Dawn dish soap profitable

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
mr.windows1

A Magic eraser makes cleaning the awning almost easy a friend told me to try it and I couldn't believe how easy and incredible it work,you can buy them just about everywhere
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
mr.windows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #7
crash

No spong here gearhead,I use a soft brush on a 8ft extention pole.mr.windows1 I never thought of the magic eraser thing,maybe I will try that next time ,Thanks