Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
lightning79

Thoughts on tow/haul mode

Hello friends,

I hope everyone is enjoying their camping season! I'm a teacher, and so I live in my trailer for the summer months, so far, it's been great!

So last year I didn't really try out the tow/haul mode on my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, but today, I did. I also used it in the Rocky Mountains last week. I'd like some opinions!

I found that using the mode allows the engine to stay in its good RPMs much better, as without it, on hilly roads with a low speed limit, the RPMs would drop lower and seem to lug the engine. Tow/haul didn't do this at all.

I also found that it's much more effective with the exhaust brake on, as coming to stops meant much more aggressive exhaust braking. As I took my foot off the accelerator pedal, the transmission would shift, the RPMs would go up, and the exhaust brake would really slow down my combination. Was very helpful coming down the hill to the campground here just below Edmonton when someone decided to stop at the bottom of the hill.

I did, at first, find it a little unnerving when the RPMs would go way up and a rough shift would happen, but that seems to be the way it's supposed to be.

I also think I may have used a little more fuel with this mode engaged.

Overall, I think I like the mode. I"m not towing a big trailer, so it's probably not totally necessary, but still is a good idea.

I'd be interested in some opinions!

Kevin
Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
mhs4771

Not sure of Dodge Rams, but with GMs the Tow/Haul mode locks up the torque converter in the lower gears, resulting is less slippage thus less heat generated. Prior to moving up to a 5er we towed a smaller TT and yes, if it's light enough there isn't a lot of benifit, but it does make the exhaust brake much more effective. Now we use it all the time, but then again our unit is slightly over 17K and 40+ feet.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
f6bits

That's similar to how mine works. Shifts are delayed and engine braking kicks in on the downhills.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
LittleJoe

Tow/haul is better for the transmission and rest of drivetrain in general especially if you are not attuned to how things are running .
There may be a slight mileage penalty in some instances but very little on a stock setup.

By the way........always keep the exhaust brake activated on your dodge towing or not unless the roads are slippery.Keeping it active will reduce chance of sticking from soot buildup.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
KenBob

We only had issues with T/H on curvy roads with small hills. The trans would go in and out of lockup and shift hard during decel. I Keep it out of T/H in these situations. Truck and DW are happier.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

I only use T/H if trans is hunting for gears on hills, which is rare on the East coast. Not having an exhaust brake, I use cruise control on downgrades for extra hold-back. I don't know about newer Rams, but this seemed best for my '94 and present '04.5.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Outbackmel

Lightning 79

Kevin, I have your same set up, make, model, year, etc. I tow 12,000 pounds loaded with ease. I ALWAYS leave the unit in tow mode WHEN PULLING, mainly because the manual calls for it. These trucks came with a 5 year drive train warranty so, for instance, you blew the transmission and they could detect you were not in tow mode, they might have denied your claim. Now that my warranty is over, why would I NOT follow the manufacturer initial recommendations? There is good reason in their guidance.

I ONLY USE THE EXHAUST BRAKE when descending grades where permitted. I see no reason to leave it on all of the time. ALSO, in many areas, it is against the law to use this, especially when entering populated areas. When this occurs, I manually click the gears down a notch or 2 or 3 depending on my needed speed and depending on my present rate of speed. That selector switch is on the shift lever by your thumb.

Be safe out there.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
labs4life

As referred to the exhaust brake, they are really referring to old school "jake" brakes. These exhaust brakes are barely heard, while the jakes are.......bwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Wish I still ran one of the old jakes, but all my new trucks have exhaust style engine brakes.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
Kevin, I have your same set up, make, model, year, etc. I tow 12,000 pounds loaded with ease. I ALWAYS leave the unit in tow mode WHEN PULLING, mainly because the manual calls for it. These trucks came with a 5 year drive train warranty so, for instance, you blew the transmission and they could detect you were not in tow mode, they might have denied your claim. Now that my warranty is over, why would I NOT follow the manufacturer initial recommendations? There is good reason in their guidance.

I ONLY USE THE EXHAUST BRAKE when descending grades where permitted. I see no reason to leave it on all of the time. ALSO, in many areas, it is against the law to use this, especially when entering populated areas. When this occurs, I manually click the gears down a notch or 2 or 3 depending on my needed speed and depending on my present rate of speed. That selector switch is on the shift lever by your thumb.

Be safe out there.
The manual for my '04.5 states:
Towing With An Automatic Transmission
Vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission may
shift into and out of Overdrive, or a lower gear,
when
driving in hilly areas, when heavily loaded, or when
towing into heavy winds.
When this condition occurs, press the “TOW/HAUL”
button or shift into a lower gear to prevent excessive
transmission wear and/or overheating, and to provide
better engine braking.

The '08 manual seems to recommend using it when frequent shifting occurs also. : from '08 manual:
When To Use TOW HAUL
When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a
heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs,
press the TOW HAUL button once to select TOW
HAUL.

My truck seldom drops out of OD so I rarely use T/H. JM2¢
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Bob Landry

I wouldn't use it on my Toyota Tundra because the truck took on a life of it's own and tended to stay in a high RPM condition that I felt was unnecessary. I've used it every time I've towed with my new F250 and have no issues with it. I haven't towed with this truck in the mountains yet.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
lightning79

Thanks for all the thoughts! I'm glad to hear that the RPMs do jump up, that was my main concern.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
buzzcop63

When towing our TT of about 6,000 to 6,200Lb with a 2012 Tundra 4.6 V8, twd, per the book I engage the T/H and drive normally. The engine turns over a couple hundred revs more, holds in gear longer when pulling away from a stop light. It seems to shift as smooth in T/H as it does in Auto. When going through steep down hills I will shift to using the paddle shifter to hold it in gear until road levels out or encounter another hill and then back to T/H. I use the paddle shifter in preference of Drive and brakes on down hills when not towing, seems to give greater control and I am not riding the brakes.
buzzcop63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
LittleJoe

[QUOTE=Outbackmel;85594]Kevin, I have your same set up, make, model, year, etc. I tow 12,000 pounds loaded with ease. I ALWAYS leave the unit in tow mode WHEN PULLING, mainly because the manual calls for it. These trucks came with a 5 year drive train warranty so, for instance, you blew the transmission and they could detect you were not in tow mode, they might have denied your claim. Now that my warranty is over, why would I NOT follow the manufacturer initial recommendations? There is good reason in their guidance.

I strongly suggest you reconsider exhaust brake usage. The exercising avoids soot build up (caused by EGR )and is the best way to avoid or ultimately prolong the time when the vanes start to stick. It is a time consuming and dirty job to complete the cleaning process. Don't beleive me?, ask a mechanic(not the service advisor) (and one that drives a EGR equipped diesel. Most are hangind on to the old ones because of emission issues on newer).
My suggestion is that only. You can stated the Owners manual all you want but in the end it will be your $$$.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote