Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
raylinkz

AC air condition upgrade 2002 Sprinter

I have a 30ft tt which tangled with a low hanging telephone cable on my drive. When I left for a week it cleared fine, when I returned it snagged my air conditioner. We'll see if ATT bears their responsibility. By the way, the 10 year old ac was still working just fine.

Not having a few years to wait for their insurance claims adjuster to hear back from the unaccessable service manager about their negligence, I pulled the trigger on a new ac unit for my ducted 30ft 2002 Keystone Sprinter with a dometic 13.5k btu air conditioner.

While I was at it, I blogged, spoke to several parts suppliers and called Dometic about upgrading to a 15,000 btu unit. All agreed it would work without any modification.

I purchased a new Dometic B59516 B59516.XX1C0 15k 15000 BTU Brisk Air II 2 Conditioner from rvpartwholesaler.com as they had the cheapest price and were very helpful over the phone. Their price included fed ex shipping and insurance so my unit arrive next day from knoxville. It was very well packaged and everything arrived just like they promised.

The hardest parts of the install was getting the unit up on the roof by myself, I'm not a spring chicken so I devised a comealong lift with my ladder and pulled it up to the roof, slow but effective.

Remove the inside air intake filter housing, removed the 4 long bolts that attach the control module and air deflector plate to the outside compressor/condensor unit and removed the whole unit.

Unboxed my new unit installed it over the same 14" opening (the new unit is several inches shorter and not as tall as the old unit). Secured the old bolts to the new unit and then found out that the 12v lines had become unfastened in the remove/install process. Luckily I had disconnect all shore power and battery before I started. As search of the whole internet proved fruitless to find a wiring diagram for any Keystone much less a 10 year old tt.

Well, it looked like the wires were installed crossed, can't be I said and proceed to prove myself right by crossing them and blew my 15 amp 12vdc fuse. Installed new fuse after making the correction; orange to orange and white to white. (Keystone, if I could find a wiring schematic I would not have had to make this mistake). which cost me over 2 hours.

Once the top unit was fully secured, 4 long bolts through the ducting deflector plate, I reconnected the battery, and shore power, moved the thermostat to air and success. It works like a champ.

Now that I know what I'm doing, I could probably complete an install of that unit in less than 2 hours, by myself (but if there is a next time I'm bringing my grandson over to exercise his muscles and help me).

I know y'all like to see pictures and I wish I had some, but I just didn't take the extra time to take pictures. Maybe if I decide to add a heat strip to my unit, I'll take time to take pictures.
raylinkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Robby9

Glad the install went well. I'm having my ac upgraded next week.

I hope you took a detailed measurement of the exact height of your trailer before you removed the old AC or can reconstruct the exact height. State laws/regs will dictate the minimum height of utility lines. If the line was too low it's their fault. If you hit a line that was at the proper height they may be looking at you to pay them for their damage.
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
mcandsim

Question I have a 2002 Keystone Sprinter I just purchased and do yu have a cover on your ac? As yu know the AC you took out looks like a honeycomb and I think it needs a cover am I correct?

Moderator's Note:
The question and comment about the toilet in your Sprinter were deleted from this post. You have a "toilet" question in another section of the forum.
mcandsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
raylinkz

A/C shroud

Yes, my ac has a shroud to protect the condenser coils from object damage. No matter how careful you are, in many campgrounds, you will hit tree branches which can damage a condenser even it it isn't broken by them.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
raylinkz

phone line clearance hagl

I was just visited by a representative of ATT and told that the old clearance on phone lines over driveways was 10 ft. Now ATT requires 14 ft.

I told him that I didn't see how they cleared any TT or RV camper, even without ac it's more than 10ft. He said well not many people have RV's;?<
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
danimal

I'm guessing then that you did not have to pay for the phone line. Congrats on the A/C install. Alot of people get scared away from a project like that.
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
15k upgrade, air conditioner, diy, dometic, sprinter2002