Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #1
rjsurfer

Using digital scale for propane tank level

I just noticed this inexpensive digital scale with a capacity of 100 pounds and I'm thinking it might be a way to really tell the true level of propane left in the tank.

Pressure indicators are never accurate due to fluctuations in temperature which effect pressure readings.

What do you guys think?

I'm guessing the trick would be how do you mount it and connect it to the tank when you want to get a weight reading. Of course you could pull the tank and weight it but I'm looking for a more elegant solution.

http://1saleaday.com/family/

Ron
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Bushman512000

Propane scale

Get one of them helacopters to lift the tanks to check the weight might be a great idea.I have a he** of a time changeing them out to fill so I just keep a eye on the red green thing when red I change ..Bushman..and that has worked every time on time.Propane lasts a long time. Or I think it does I do wish the Truck fuel would go for days like the propane
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
dave-g

A scale is the only way to tell how much you have. I use a bath room scale. Also I have gotten in the habit of shutting off the tanks when stored- then I always turn on the drivers side 1st. That way that becomes the lead tank.

Then that will be th tank to go empty 1st. Nothing worse than going on a trip with 2 tanks that are 1/4 full. My local lp filling station charges the same price to fill an empty tank or one with 1/4 tank.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
Johnnyfry

Propane tank weight

I always weigh the empty tank and write the weight on the side with a Sharpie®. That makes it simple to check how much propane remains in the tank.

Weight or a float gauge are the only ways to check the amount remaining in the tank. Pressure is never a reliable indicator because the propane is in liquid form and the pressure does not begin to drop until the liquid is used up --- which means you have about 3 minutes left.

You could probably put a strain gauge under the tanks to a readout in the trailer, but it would be s big expensive project and probably not worth it.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
gkainz

Tare weight is stamped on every bottle collar, isn't it?
I've toyed with the strain gauge idea too but the support brackets put downward pressure on my bottles so my readings would be affected by that.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
Tare weight is stamped on every bottle collar, isn't it?
I've toyed with the strain gauge idea too but the support brackets put downward pressure on my bottles so my readings would be affected by that.
many BBQ's have a simple weight scale to determine tank capacity. put on an empy tank and move the indicator to "empty" then fill the tank. it's basically a simple spring scale with a pointer arm than moves up and down. Adapting one to an RV shouldn't be real hard to do. It would likely mean doing something to secure the tanks from moving while traveling to not damage the scale, then let it float freely when in use.

the other alternative that I use is that marshall makes a sender that attaches to specific marshall automatic changeover valves. when the main tank changes over, a switch closes on the sender and flashes a light in the trailer to indicate you've changed from main to auxilary tank. Been very effective for us.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Johnnyfry

Propane bottles

Yes, the weight is stamped on the bottle collar but at my age, in dim light, I might not be able to read it! I pretty much know anyway and I losten up the bottle and slosh it around to get a vague idea of the liquid inside.

The Bottle empty alarm is probably the most useful device I have heard of, where do I find one? What type of valve is required and is it easily obtainable.

Other than my basic engineer problem solving instinct, I have pretty much abandoned weighing the bottle in situ as too much trouble for too little return. The empty bottle alarm sounds like just the ticket.

Thanksgiving Cheers to all,
John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
reubenray

How much does it cost to fill a propane tank? I will be getting our done next week for a trip the following week.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
f6bits

Around $20, depending on where you live and go. I pay about $18 for the first tank, and I get a discount if I fill more than one tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
How much does it cost to fill a propane tank? I will be getting our done next week for a trip the following week.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
Yes, the weight is stamped on the bottle collar but at my age, in dim light, I might not be able to read it! I pretty much know anyway and I losten up the bottle and slosh it around to get a vague idea of the liquid inside.

The Bottle empty alarm is probably the most useful device I have heard of, where do I find one? What type of valve is required and is it easily obtainable.

Other than my basic engineer problem solving instinct, I have pretty much abandoned weighing the bottle in situ as too much trouble for too little return. The empty bottle alarm sounds like just the ticket.

Thanksgiving Cheers to all,
John
the changeover indicator "alarm" works ONLY with a marshall 254 dual tank two stage automatic changeover regulator, usually about $30 and sometimes standard on a trailer. The remote changeover indicator is also by Marshall, PN RCI-24 about $35. Any RV dealer or propane supply house should be able to get the for you. the remote indicator comes with about 20ft of wire so you can mount the switch to the regulator and the indicator in a convienent place in the trailer. Once the regulator switches from the main tank to the reserve tank, the remote indicator LED starts flashing about once/second.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
PerryB

What ever happened to the good old days when propane cylinders had float gauges in them? Yeah, I know I must be getting old when I say things like that.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
What ever happened to the good old days when propane cylinders had float gauges in them? Yeah, I know I must be getting old when I say things like that.
5 gallons tanks with float guages are still pretty available. that's what I have on my tanks around the house and for my smaller trailer. But 7.5Gallon (30lb) tanks with float guages don't seem to be readily available. You can buy them at many propane distributors though.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
many BBQ's have a simple weight scale to determine tank capacity. put on an empy tank and move the indicator to "empty" then fill the tank. it's basically a simple spring scale with a pointer arm than moves up and down. Adapting one to an RV shouldn't be real hard to do. It would likely mean doing something to secure the tanks from moving while traveling to not damage the scale, then let it float freely when in use.
This is true - our big Weber grill has such a scale. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's (one of them sells Webers) and see how it works.

Isn't there some kind of strip you can put on the side of the tank that indicates where the propane level is?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post

Isn't there some kind of strip you can put on the side of the tank that indicates where the propane level is?
Yes, there is a strip whose manufacturer claims that it shows "at a glance" how much propane remains in the tank. Tried one - once. Not twice. Save your money.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Yes, there is a strip whose manufacturer claims that it shows "at a glance" how much propane remains in the tank. Tried one - once. Not twice. Save your money.
Thanks. Sounded too good to be true
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Bob Landry

My method is trouble free, takes no time, costs nothing, and works every time.
When my first tank runs dry, the flag pops up, the pointer flips over, and that's my cue to remove the empty tank and have it refilled. Ain't technology grand? I guess I just don't have enough time on my hands to get very involved with it.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
My method is trouble free, takes no time, costs nothing, and works every time.
When my first tank runs dry, the flag pops up, the pointer flips over, and that's my cue to remove the empty tank and have it refilled. Ain't technology grand? I guess I just don't have enough time on my hands to get very involved with it.
Ditto. Fill up the empty tank and run of the other one until it is empty.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Bushman512000

Eye on the RED GREEN site glass

Green is go or fuel remaining /Red is stop or empty refill time...What is so hard with that????????? You do know about how long a tank lasts or I have to think I use more in cold weather for heat but I look every 2-3 days at the red green site glass and fill as needed some times I do forget a extra day but never have I ran empty.... Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
Robby9

I use a digital fish scale from walmart. It has a hook on the lower side that I can slip through the handle. It only takes a couple of seconds to get a reading.
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote