Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
anmetcalf

hitch adjustment

We have an 08 Laredo 30bh that I need to level out. Currently the back is 20" off the ground 10' behind the rear axle(you can imagine how low the bumper is when slide out), 10' in front of the front axle it is 25" off the ground. Now for the clearance above my truck bed. I have 9.5" of clearance in the front, that is from the top of my Tonneau cover rails to the bottom of the overhang, and I have 9" of clearance in the back. The pin adjustment is one notch up from the lowest setting. I have a superglide hitch with the 3" add-on risers. I have decided to remove those 3" risers. That will still give me 6" of clearance of my truck and should come real close to leveling out the trailer.

Now to get to the question. I have seen that some manufactured don't recommend lowering the pin box to the lowest setting. But if I feel I need a touch more clearance can I lower mine to the lowest setting? Thanks in advance for any help.
anmetcalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I have a Reese hitch - on its lowest setting - and am not aware of any caution or warning from them about having it positioned there. I would be interested in knowing which manufacturers have such a caution and the reason(s) for it.

If there was some concern about safety then it would seem that they would not place holes that would allow the hitch to be lowered to that extent.

Having 9" - 9 1/2" of clearance between the truck rail and the overhang is plenty and dropping the hitch to its lowest position should still give you sufficient clearance.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
anmetcalf

When all is said and done I should have no less than 6" of clearance between the truck and the overhang. I feel this should be enough from what I've read. And if I have to lower the pin box to the lowest setting then I should have 7" possibly more.

Hopefully this helps with my chucking as well. Right now it is chucking way more than I like. But I am running uphill a lot right now.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

7" of clearance will be sufficient. Do you have any information or reference regarding the caution of not positioning the hitch on its lowest setting that you mentioned earlier? If there is some safety concern that I am not aware of, I would certainly like to know about it. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
anmetcalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
7" of clearance will be sufficient. Do you have any information or reference regarding the caution of not positioning the hitch on its lowest setting that you mentioned earlier? If there is some safety concern that I am not aware of, I would certainly like to know about it. Thanks.
It was something I read just a couple weeks ago on another forum. One particular rv manufacture didn't recommend lowering the pin box to the bottom set of holes. I honestly don't remember what manufacture it was. If I come across it I will let you know.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
nano

If they didn't want you using the bottom set of holes, then they shouldn't put them in there. lol
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano View Post
If they didn't want you using the bottom set of holes, then they shouldn't put them in there. lol
There is always going to be a "bottom set of holes" isn't there?

Unless, of course, there is only one set.