Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
anthonbloom

Smile Happy with 2012 Cougar 318 SAB

Just back from the first trip with the new trailer traded for 2010 version of the same model. First impressions are good, the heavier axles and bigger wheels giving a much better stance and ride whilst most of the jiggling that we experience in the old model is gone. The brakes are hugely improved requiring a setting on the GMC OEM brake controller of 5.00 ( max 10.00) compared with 9.5 before. The baggage doors are much more solidly built and the one under the bedroom slide doesn't get twisted out of shape if the slide is retracted with the door open. The awning is adjustable to allow rainwater to run off and the LED landing lights actually put light where it is needed. The interior is also much improved whilst preserving the roominess that we liked, but adding some new functionality. The pass through from the bedroom to the bathroom is a great feature and the new toilet works much better than the old one although we miss the little shelf and open cabinet we had, whilst the shower door has better magnets and stays closed in use. The dresser drawers and cupboard are much more functional than the old corner cabinet and the recessed TV slide works better too. The entertainment center in the living room allows the tv to swing for viewing from the kitchen and dining area as well as the living room and there is huge storage behind it for my collection of cables, tools and hardware. In fact, despite moving just about everything from the old trailer we still have a lot of empty storage space and the larger fridge is a real boon. The oven works better and the sliding top to the dining table is a great idea.The ducting for the AC and heat is much improved and the digital control is less complicated and easier to set. What still needs to be fixed? There should be an easier way to restrain the dining chairs than crawling under the table and threading a strap through the chair rungs and what is the point in having a smoke alarm that goes off every time you cook? A quieter and more powerful vent fan may help or a smoke detector that could be disabled for 15 minutes with automatic reset would be safer than than removing the battery when cooking a having to remember to replace it. All in all we were very happy with our purchase and hope to enjoy this trailer for a long time to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Rig.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	635  
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Charli

We purchased a 2012 Cougar 26SAB this summer and overall are happy with this 5er. Our's is a XLite and it certanly towed great although the lite wt does seem to come at the expense of some quality but I guess that's the tradeoff. The back bumper started to let go before I even got it home from the dealer and having it rewelded only lasted 500km. We ended up having a receiver hitch welded to the frame so we could add a bike rack and had the spare tire mounted under the front of the unit to allow more room for the bike rack. The dealer didn't charge us for mounting the tire under the trailer which was appreciated.
I echo your comments about the smoke detector and securing the kitchen chairs. Wish the stove had a starter built in as I have to keep on looking for my lighter. There should be a backlite on the digital therostat control. I am in the process of compiling a list of design suggestions to send to Keystone and there were a number of little things that they just didn't seem to think through when they designed this model. The biggest single complaint we had was lack of ventillation in the bedroom. Just a single push out emergency window doesn't provide for any cross-breeeze. We are looking at putting a roof vent with a Fantastic fan to get some air movement.
I think this unit will keep us going for at least a few years until we are fully retired and then we might look at something bigger.
Happy trails.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
mike9661

We purchased a 2011 Cougar 318SAB I don't have the bathroom door from the bedroom I don't think they came in the 2011. I have to agree with you on the table and chairs the are a pain to secure. The swivel chairs are also a pain to put on the sofa. All and all I am pretty happy with my 5er. I am taking it back this week with what I think is a small punch list (see below).

Punch List:
2011 Keystone 318SAB

Rear Day Night Shade

Sofa arm comes out when extended
Air mattress leaks overnight

Scratch on right rear wall near back window towards desk

Wallpaper bubbling center border

Storage locks need to be adjusted (ALL)

Molding on main slide coming loose overhead

Shower enclosure leaking at bottom near sink

Heater fan does not have enough force for bedroom or kitchen

Spare tire bracket

Galley and Black water tank gauges are backwards

Propane leak down test

2011 Cougar 318SAB
2011 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax
16K Superglide
mike9661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
WHThayer

More on 2012 SAB318

i too have recently upgraded to the 318SAB. I love it. I went around New England and then a long trip all throughout Newfoundland and now back to Montreal. In all just over 5000 miles.
I agree with all of you with what you have already said especially the table and chairs. I should tell you that I never secured the outside fan blades to the stove fan and as a result, they aren't there anymore. OOPS! And while i was trying to shove the table top one way, I lifted the screws right out of the floor! Be careful, the table is only held down by 4 screws. Also, my back tires are worn on the inside halfs. the dealer said that this is an axle problem that they are now looking into. Check your tire wear.

My to do list includes:
Sticky foot pedal on toilet
broken speaker in bedroom
and the handle came off in my hand on the bedroom mirror.

My recommendation to the manufacturers is to improve heat up to the bedroom and (somehow) get more light at the top of the stairs.
WHThayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #5
jerseyphil

WOW! I'm surprised. I also have a 2011 Cougar 318SAB.
Guess I was lucky. Only 2 tiny items had to be addressed.
1. a wood plug in the bed headboard was missing, and
2. the dinette needed 1 additional screw to secure it properly.

I think the 318 has a fabulous layout. Also, for me, this unit has just the right number of features, and at a reasonable price point.

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9661 View Post
We purchased a 2011 Cougar 318SAB I don't have the bathroom door from the bedroom I don't think they came in the 2011. I have to agree with you on the table and chairs the are a pain to secure. The swivel chairs are also a pain to put on the sofa. All and all I am pretty happy with my 5er. I am taking it back this week with what I think is a small punch list (see below).

Punch List:
2011 Keystone 318SAB

Rear Day Night Shade

Sofa arm comes out when extended
Air mattress leaks overnight

Scratch on right rear wall near back window towards desk

Wallpaper bubbling center border

Storage locks need to be adjusted (ALL)

Molding on main slide coming loose overhead

Shower enclosure leaking at bottom near sink

Heater fan does not have enough force for bedroom or kitchen

Spare tire bracket

Galley and Black water tank gauges are backwards

Propane leak down test
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Pappydude

I bought my '12 318SAB in March 2012 and probably put close to . 1,000 miles on it. I've never secured my chairs - they don't move much when the slide is in and just never saw the need to use the straps. The table is screwed down as mentioned so I don't strap it either. I too wish they'd put a little more heat in the bedroom. I had an electric fireplace installed in the living room and besides the luxury of a not so real fireplace, it does provide some heat. The fan could have adjustable speeds perhaps - but overall is a comfort I enjoy.
The only other suggestion I'd make to the manuf. is to provide info on how to connect the "satellite prep" connections. There are a couple of forums here that describe proper connections - but the company won't provide any info and you're stuck with ONE connection and you have to figure out. An additional connection on the TV slide would be nice. Just having the connection still leaves you the option to connect to cable/antenna or satellite. Happy RV-ing ..........wave when you pass!
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Brantlaker

318sab

My DW and I purchased a 2012,318 last May and have put about 4,500 miles on it. We have had a few problems with it.
1 A gas leak at the crossover valve
2 The table was not secured to the floor
3 Rear Bumper tearing off the welds and support
4 Bed pulling away from the slide.
All have been repaired by the dealer except the bed. We store the FW in South Carolina for the winter as we normally get 75-100 in of snow and use our RV in February/March. When we bring it back north we will drop it off at the dealer and they will repair it at that time plus any outer problems that we find on this trip. At that time they will repack the bearings,clean and reseal the roof and any other thing that i can think of for service. By then we should have over 8,000 miles on it.
Buy the way did I mention that we LOVE It for the comfort and room.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote