Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2022, 03:01 PM   #41
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I doubt that mine will ever have gasoline in it, it's just to difficult to find corn-free gas in Waco and I always have a couple of full propane tanks handy.

And for the few hours that it might run when we're cleaning or re-packing the trailer, I might see if I can find one without the electric start and not have to worry about the battery.

The only time mine would ever run for more than 3 or 4 hours is if the electricity goes out at the house and I'm trying to save a freezer full of food or it's really cold and we need to power the blower on the natural gas heater at the house..

Guess I need to start watching for a sale...
Seriously.. if you have a Costco nearby, you need to go take a look.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:12 PM   #42
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Folks don't like to mention the Cummings Onan P4500i inverter generator, mostly because of it's price. They say the Westinghouse version is the same identical generator, but I cannot attest to that fact. The Cummings is definitely much more costly than the Westinghouse and for some reason, I just have a hard pill to swallow believing they can be the same with a $500 difference in price. But, I could be wrong.

Still, I have 2 of the Cummings I run in parallel for my 50 amp fifth wheel. One by itself will spit out 37 amps, which is more than comparable to 30 amp shore power. In fact, if you turn on everything in your camper, the camper 30 amp main will pop before the generator does. Running 2 of them in Parallel, I've turned on everything in my 50 amp camper, including electric griddles, coffee pots and everything else, and the power produced from the generators is identical to shore power.

They weigh in at over 100 pounds dry (no gas, no oil). The Cummings (I'll not confirm on the Westinghouse), holds 3.4 gallons of gas and will run for 18 hours under a normal light load. If under a medium load, can easily run for 15 hours.

It's very, very quiet, on 2 wheels with a telescoping handle which makes it easy to move, and fit's our needs perfect. We use them for camping and for power outages at the house. Being portable, I've also used them to run a number of my power tools... Skill Saws, Radial Arm Saw, a multitude of drills, air compressors, and even an electric pressure washer.

Now, if you want something good, that will serve you will, that is dependable, that has good customer support, (but is pricy) ... looking in the Onan P4500i, or the Westinghouse version for about $500 cheaper.

Again, I cannot testify about the Westinghouse. They look the same and the advertisements and the stat sheets show the same identical information, but are they really identical? I don't know. I've never used the Westinghouse. Your call on that one. But something makes them cheaper in price?
CUMMINS!
Old 06-30-2022, 05:19 PM   #43
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
Seriously.. if you have a Costco nearby, you need to go take a look.
Closest Costco is 120 miles one way. But thanks for the suggestion.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:08 PM   #44
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
CUMMINS!
Thank you.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:58 AM   #45
Gunny Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
might be hard to find an lp only generator in that size…based on wanting it as light as possible i’d probably go with two 2000 watt champion dual fuel units and a parallel kit…easier to lift into the truck and if you don’t need air conditioner you can just bring one …also you don’t ever have to operate it on gasoline if you want to stick to lp…4000 watts total instead of 3500 minus the lp loss factor
I wish we bought two 2000 watt Champion duel fuels before we bought the Champion 3400 and then 2 years later added a 2000 dual fuel Champion to our collection. We carry the 2000 watt one with us when we dont need to run the AC with the RV, with our truck camper, and when we tent camp. Nice to have something light to lift then that boat anchor.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #46
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
I know you wanted a 3500 watts, but for the weight and price I bought a Champion Power Equipment 2500-Watt Gasoline/Propane Portable Inverter Generator Item #3629575Model #100899 that weighs 39 lbs so its easy to lift for $587.
I have the same one. I liked it for its light weight and low noise level. I can start and run my 15K BTU A/C with soft start running gas.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:02 PM   #47
hawghauler

We ran our old rig on an eBay sportsman 3500 dual fuel this ran the Coleman mach 15 all other trailer electric and a cook tent for our friends in tents only had to shut down AC to use microwave or it tripped the genny

I can live without popcorn
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:00 PM   #48
{tpc}

I have a 3500 champion gas unit. I’d have to go get the actual numbers if you want, but it runs everything but the microwave perfectly. One tank of gas at about 4 pm runs until 9 am with the ac running at 70c all night, tvs and everything else. I still run hot water off lp. Weighs about 100 lbs. I think we paid under 400.

It is not the quietest of units but 20 feet or so away it isn’t a bother.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:56 PM   #49
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
CUMMINS!
"Freudian slip"???? Oh!
Old 07-23-2022, 07:32 AM   #50
Javi

Finally received my new generator.. Champion 4650-Watt Dual Fuel with electric start lithium battery. I got from Home Depot
Old 07-23-2022, 07:47 AM   #51
gearhead

Quote:
Finally received my new generator.. Champion 4650-Watt Dual Fuel with electric start lithium battery. I got from Home Depot
If you got the remote start be aware if you leave the battery "on" overnight, it will be dead in the morning. I pretty much just stored the remotes, somewhere...
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:48 AM   #52
WDPatterson

Quote:
Is that 4,650 Watt peak, or running watts?
Old 07-23-2022, 07:56 AM   #53
WDPatterson

Quote:
I just looked it up.. If this is the one, I think it's a good buy. And, you can add a second one in parallel, if you need one.
Be sure to stay up on your scheduled oil changes, keep your spark plug clean. Make sure it has good ventilation, a breeze is always a good thing..

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/200994-4650-watt-dual-fuel-inverter/
Old 07-23-2022, 08:29 AM   #54
JRTJH
Site Team

The biggest issue I've had with all my Champion generators is the OEM spark plug quality. They all were delivered with "knockoff spark plugs" and, while they "ran OK" they all seemed to have cold starting problems and sometimes erratic engine RPM "loping"...

I changed the spark plugs on my two 2000 watt inverter generators and the problelms went away. So, I changed the spark plug on my 9600 watt and the 4000 watt "industrial open frame gensets" and they also "ran much better and were significantly easier to start....

So, if the new ones are still being delivered with OEM "knockoff plugs" it may be a good idea to change out the spark plugs at the first sign of "hard starting or loping".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:30 AM   #55
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
I just looked it up.. If this is the one, I think it's a good buy. And, you can add a second one in parallel, if you need one.
Be sure to stay up on your scheduled oil changes, keep your spark plug clean. Make sure it has good ventilation, a breeze is always a good thing..

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/200994-4650-watt-dual-fuel-inverter/
Yep, that's the one

Thanks
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:02 AM   #56
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The biggest issue I've had with all my Champion generators is the OEM spark plug quality. They all were delivered with "knockoff spark plugs" and, while they "ran OK" they all seemed to have cold starting problems and sometimes erratic engine RPM "loping"...

I changed the spark plugs on my two 2000 watt inverter generators and the problelms went away. So, I changed the spark plug on my 9600 watt and the 4000 watt "industrial open frame gensets" and they also "ran much better and were significantly easier to start....

So, if the new ones are still being delivered with OEM "knockoff plugs" it may be a good idea to change out the spark plugs at the first sign of "hard starting or loping".....
Very interesting observation.
The 2500 I bought last fall came with a "Torch E6RTC" plug. Can I assume that is the "knockoff" you are referring to? When I went looking for a spare plug to keep on hand for future maintenance, it crossed to an NGK BPR5SH which I guess would be a quality plug. Maybe I should just change it out now.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:52 AM   #57
flybouy
Site Team

I switched out the spark plug on my open frame 3,500 watt generator with an E3 plug years ago. Started much easier and ran better. Changed my riding mower, pressure washer, etc. over to the E3's as well. They cost a few bucks more but I've had dood results with them. Just my experience, YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:56 AM   #58
wiredgeorge

I always had a hard time starting my Champion (non inverter) dual fuel 4375/3500. I cleaned the spark plug and the carburetor was spotless and I had a spare that i swapped in (genuine Champion) but still didn't want to start much of time such as when it was really needed. Hence today I have a Wen and starts easily (recoil starter).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:01 AM   #59
travelin texans

Awhile back I was reading reviews on HF Predator generators & several recommended replacing the OEM spark plug with an E3 immediately, other than that those generators had very good reviews.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #60
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I switched out the spark plug on my open frame 3,500 watt generator with an E3 plug years ago. Started much easier and ran better. Changed my riding mower, pressure washer, etc. over to the E3's as well. They cost a few bucks more but I've had dood results with them. Just my experience, YMMV.
I contacted E3 and it turns out they do not have a replacement for the original plug or the new NGK BPR5HS plug I purchased for my Champion 2500. So I installed the NGK and I may have an opportunity to test it next weekend.