Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2022, 03:37 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
My bad I meant the New SoftStartUp, the one that you plug in at the Power Pedestal. Thinking about getting one of these they have a 90 day trial so if it doesn't do what they say it will you can send it back.
For the cost you could have a Micro Air installed. Looks like an idea that they are using the "no install" feature to sell. It won't replace an EMS so if you drive off and forget both you're leaving a lot of money behind. Personally I would have two issues.
1. I don't like to be the guinea pig for unproven products, especially electrical/electronics. Very, very few " first roll out" are truly successful.
2. Yet another connection in the power line. 30 amp rv outlets are the most used and abused outlets in a campground for a myriad of reasons. If a bad outlet is used then it can create heat and damage the plug. The plug gets a lot of wear, especially if you are a "week end warrior" and plug the trailer in at home. No plug is as sound as a wired connection ( wires fastened by screwes) as it's a friction fit. Heat and wear creats a gap, the two contacts arc and create carbon tracking and heat. This creates resistance and a vicious cycle starts until one day it goes up in smoke. The plug is the weakest link in the chain of arguably the most important and potentially hazardous utility. I prefer having one plug if at all possible.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:56 AM   #22
Javi

Well, I purchased two Micro Air Easy Starts, and two of their Easy Touch thermostats to upgrade the systems in the Avalanche to be able to run both of the Coleman Mach 15 units on the genset or 30-amp service if needed and to be able to monitor and control the temperature remotely when we have to leave Max for a few hours.

After several exchanges of email with their sales/engineering staff I decided to go with the upgraded Bluetooth version of the Easy Start because my engineering geek side won over my frugal Scotch-Irish side. Helped by a very nice discount they generously offered me.

Now, I'm stuck waiting on the Covid driven, supply chain driven, shortage train to deliver.

But I did get my new generator delivered yesterday so I've got that to play with this weekend