Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2022, 06:59 AM   #1
Wantoride

Umbilical cord replacement

Has anyone replaced the trailer cord, not the shore power cord but the travel umbilical cord. I have a Ford F-150 and the current keystone cord is not and has never really matched well. If someone out there has had that issue, what cord have you tried in replacement .
Thanks. Larry
Wantoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:06 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

We use Bargman brand. What’s the issue with your current one?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:06 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantoride View Post
Has anyone replaced the trailer cord, not the shore power cord but the travel umbilical cord. I have a Ford F-150 and the current keystone cord is not and has never really matched well. If someone out there has had that issue, what cord have you tried in replacement .
Thanks. Larry
https://www.amazon.com/Bargman-Molde...33246916&psc=1
Old 07-13-2022, 07:32 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Earlier model Keystone trailers used a 4x4 metal junction box to house the umbilical/trailer wiring interface. There is a "new style" junction box that simplifies the connections and keeps things in order. In addition to the new umbilical/connector cable, I'd also order a junction box if your trailer has the "metal house box with all the twist connectors inside it".....

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Way...7QDQRX7P&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UMBILICAL JUNCTION BOX.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	40687  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:33 PM   #5
Wantoride

Sorry for the delay but we are traveling, I get a trailer fault notice. Everything works but the brakes are spotty. If I cram tin foil in the brake pin enough to close the gap it’ll make a connection that’s solid but as soon as I hit bumpy roads I loose the brakes. I took it back to the dealer years ago and they dressed the plug a bit and cleaned it and it was fine for a couple years. Now that won’t really do much.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:35 PM   #6
Wantoride

I was planning on getting a wire and box from E trailer
Old 07-14-2022, 02:20 PM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Sorry for the delay but we are traveling, I get a trailer fault notice. Everything works but the brakes are spotty. If I cram tin foil in the brake pin enough to close the gap it’ll make a connection that’s solid but as soon as I hit bumpy roads I loose the brakes. I took it back to the dealer years ago and they dressed the plug a bit and cleaned it and it was fine for a couple years. Now that won’t really do much.
That's because the cord on the trailer is cheap Chinese junk and the truck is a Bargman.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:42 PM   #8
bobbecky

No need to replace the cord, just replace the plug.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:50 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
No need to replace the cord, just replace the plug.
While I agree with that, I like the idea of a molded plug versus hoping the cord stays dry, and the connections stay solid, I have done both for customers.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:22 PM   #10
vampress_me

Quote:
Keep in mind it may not be the trailer. Fords have had the issue, including our 2016 F-350, where the 7-way plug in on the back of the truck is the problem. I was also getting a fault with our horse trailer and sometimes the camper, and would lose brakes on the them. Messed around with dielectric grease, cleaning the trailer ends thinking that had to be the problem. It didn’t make a difference. They also worked fine if plugged in to a different truck. So, ended up having the truck end of the plug in replaced by Ford. New one worked great. I was told by the dealer they had seen this issue before and were not surprised by it.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:32 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ In addition to what lynette said, if you crawl under the back of your Ford truck, you'll find that there is a "plug behind the plug". On the rear of the 7 pin plug is another plug that uses a "jumper to the in bed 7 pin option" for trucks that have a fifth wheel umbilical connector in the bed. That "plug behind the plug" can and will corrode, causing problems with the "trailer disconnected" error signal.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-14-2022, 07:52 PM   #12
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
^^^ In addition to what lynette said, if you crawl under the back of your Ford truck, you'll find that there is a "plug behind the plug". On the rear of the 7 pin plug is another plug that uses a "jumper to the in bed 7 pin option" for trucks that have a fifth wheel umbilical connector in the bed. That "plug behind the plug" can and will corrode, causing problems with the "trailer disconnected" error signal.
You reminded me. Ours also had the “plug behind the plug”, even without the in-the-bed connector portion, which was not an option on our truck. It took the Ford tech about 5 minutes to change it out since it had that hidden plug under the bed/ behind the bumper.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:33 AM   #13
CedarCreekWoody

When I had a gooseneck ball installed they also installed an in-bed outlet. When I started having trailer brake issues after a few months I found they had done a sloppy install of the outlet. Rather than using a plug in adapter they had simply clipped onto the trailer wiring, damaging my wiring and causing intermittent connections. I replaced their mess with a proper cable that plugged into the factory wiring connector.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:19 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
When I had a gooseneck ball installed they also installed an in-bed outlet. When I started having trailer brake issues after a few months I found they had done a sloppy install of the outlet. Rather than using a plug in adapter they had simply clipped onto the trailer wiring, damaging my wiring and causing intermittent connections. I replaced their mess with a proper cable that plugged into the factory wiring connector.
When I had my F150 and bought our first fifth wheel (26'/8000 lb wonder that it was) I did the same. CURT sells in bed adapter cables for most truck brands that "jumper behind the bumper 7 pin connector" and prevent the need to use "sloppy rewire connectors" that will fail as soon as they get wet and corrode.

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-elect...sion-harnesses
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CURT HARNESS.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	40703  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-15-2022, 05:04 AM   #15
CedarCreekWoody

I failed to say the reason I mentioned the bad install is that the OP may want to verify the problem is not on the vehicle part of the umbilical cord before replacing the cord on the camper.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:41 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Had the same issue with our F150 KR when we bought it '09. Constantly disconnected, had to stop and reseat it. One trip I took my pocket knife and put a curf on the front edge of the plug and secured it with a mini bungee cord.. that worked but it always bothered me.. I installed a new cord and never had another issue..

When we bought our current trailer part of the deal was replacing the cord with a Bargman. I wasn't going to go thru that headache again.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #17
Wantoride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
That's because the cord on the trailer is cheap Chinese junk and the truck is a Bargman.
That’s what I really needed to know, what plug would work best with Ford
Old 07-21-2022, 08:26 AM   #18
be18driver

This worked great for me. https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=85781

Ken
be18driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:55 PM   #19
Gunny Mike

We had to replace ours last month due to operator error causing some road rash. Cost us about $140 for the cord and to install it. We were fortunate to be the first RV drive up for work that morning and we were back on the road in 45 minutes. Next time ill remember to bring it up and then wrap it around the jack one time.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:16 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
We had to replace ours last month due to operator error causing some road rash. Cost us about $140 for the cord and to install it. We were fortunate to be the first RV drive up for work that morning and we were back on the road in 45 minutes. Next time ill remember to bring it up and then wrap it around the jack one time.
I lock my coupler with a long shank lock. The lock is long enough to hold the cable while locked. I thread the cable thru the lock with a curve in it just long enough to accommodate turning.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote