Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2022, 11:22 PM   #1
LHaven

Frustration adjusting my slide

I reported here (LINK) about how my Accuslide recently jammed itself up, how by great luck I managed to reattach the detached cable, and how I was going to replace the missing jam nut when I got back home.

Tonight I took the long fascia off the slide to allow me to work on the cabling.

First off, the jam nut I expected to replace isn't missing. There are no jam nuts that I can find, at least not where I expected to find them (at the end of the cables, resulting in the cable detaching itself on my trip). There are some interesting nuts that are finger loose between the fitting on the end of the chain and the traveling blocks-- I can snug them up to the chain OR to the traveling block, but obviously not both, and I have no idea which is right or why they are there at all.

Second, the image in the maintenance manual shows "cable nut anti vibration locks" (little rubbery cubes) installed on the top and bottom cable of every traveling block. My slide has slightly fewer than half that many installed, with never more than one to a block. Pretty sure they didn't all just fall off.

Third, I have no idea if the purple BTM cable is too tight, too loose, or what, as I reinstalled it by the seat of my pants just to get the slide working again on the road. Furthermore, I don't even know how to determine whether it needs to be tightened, loosened, or left alone.

All that having been said, I set about seeing if I could perhaps correct the downward cant that the slide has had since I bought it. The maintenance manual is opaque -- I assume once you have done the job it all becomes much clearer, but it's not very useful to newbies. I get that I have to loosen one cable before tightening another, but which cables i need to loosen or tighten in order to get the bottom slide edge to extend out farther are impossible for me to fathom. It doesn't even give the basic information about whether you need to loosen/tighten which cable to bring a corner in or out (which way?).

The manual says:

Quote:
When the room is seated full out, the OUTSIDE cables should be slack enough to move the cable approximately 1⁄2” up or down (1” total movement) by hand. The holding power is actually on the INSIDE cables pulling the standoff brackets tight against the frame.
So I checked. Nope, exactly the opposite. When the slide is fully extended (with the bottom not quite touching the wall because of the factory droop), the OUTSIDE cables are dead taut, and the INSIDE cables are more flexible.

I can't understand the manual, and it looks like I can't even trust the manual. I'd like to do this job myself, but I don't believe I ever will if I have to depend on this manual to do it.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:27 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

youtube has many videos detailing Accuslide adjustment. Have you looked at any?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:27 AM   #3
jsb5717

I would look at a variety of YouTube videos on the subject. When I needed to replace the gearbox on one of our slides I discovered that when the cables were all disconnected from the motor that the slide basically just flopped around in the opening. The only thing holding the slide where it belongs is the cable system.

Now that I've done it I have discovered that the system is less complicated than it first appears. What I did, with the cables disconnected, was to place the slide half-way in and out using jacks on the outside to support the slide at level. I used a tape measure to make sure that the slide was parallel to the wall and the same distance extended on both side. Then I started the process of reconnecting the cable and adjusting them until the correct tension was achieved. I removed the jacks and it has operated perfectly since then. You shouldn't need to undo the cables from the pulley system. I would just loosen/tighten the center nut on each harness unless you are out of whack side to side. Don't be tempted to over-tighten the cables...that just adds unneeded stress to the gearbox and motor.

Most of what I just said probably makes no sense unless you are familiar with the system. YouTube got me started.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:40 AM   #4
LHaven

YouTube is a great idea, probably one I should have thought of, but didn't. I'll hit up some video tutorials when I get back to home base.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:10 PM   #5
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
YouTube is a great idea, probably one I should have thought of, but didn't. I'll hit up some video tutorials when I get back to home base.
The best video I have seen concerning Accuslide. I have it bookmarked so - if I need it - it'll be available when I finally get my fiver.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide