Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2022, 04:36 AM   #21
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
A couple of red flags to me. First off plugged tire "encroaching the sidewall" ? No, no, no! Let me guess, this "tire shop" plugged it from the outside? A tire should only be repaired from the inside,, using a plug/patch and only thru the tread area between the two outer ribs.

Second thing is the flat spot on that tire. That did not happen in a single stop. That wheel was locked up and the tire was drug for a considerable distance. That brake position needs to be inspected. That tire IMO should not be depended on as a spare, it's useless.

Third thing is the OEM tires. Replace them NOW unless you enjoyed this experience. I might use the new tire as a spare but as a "second spare". I bought a matching rim and replaced our trailer tires with 5 Carlise Radial Trail HD tires. The original steel rim spare gets thrown into the bed of the truck for longer trips as a "just in case" back up if something would happen far from an exit or place to replace it and it became necessary to replace 2 tires.
Poking my head in here to say it made my day to read the above since that is what is on the trailer we bought used. They look newer and I thought Carlise was a decent brand. I have to get a tpms before any big trips.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:49 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
Poking my head in here to say it made my day to read the above since that is what is on the trailer we bought used. They look newer and I thought Carlise was a decent brand. I have to get a tpms before any big trips.
While they may look newer check the mnf date on each one. There will be an oval relief on the sidewall with 4 numbers inside. Those numbers indicate the week and year of mnf. Trailer tires age out they don't wear out. Conventional wisdom says to replace after 5 years AT THE MAX. Some folks replace them as early as 3 years.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
general