Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2022, 05:11 PM   #41
lcarver02

As others have said, get the China bombs off ASAP. I had the same size tires and had a huge bulge (it is documented in a Forum Post you can look up). These tires were two years old, and less than 7,000 miles. Very lucky for me I inspected these before a trip, they were always aired to maximum and never a leak or impact. I would strongly recommend the Goodyear Endurance. These are an upgrade, go with the Load Range E and you can depend on the quality. Change them for YOUR safety please.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:15 AM   #42
precab

Trailer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by alku1 View Post
We just got a 2020 Keystone cougar half-ton 29 MBS which has the original Trailer King tires on:
ST225/75R 15E / Trailer King RST / 47/19

Tread level seems very good, but Im not sure how much I trust these tires. Also they are 2,5 yrs old and Im really wondering if we should replace them before embarking on our 6 month cross country roadtrip through the states (April - Sept).

Also the load rating has minimal margin lookign at GAWR and GVWR of the trailer. Does it make sense to upgrade to a higher weight class?

Thank you in advance!
Trailer Kings are very high risk china bombs. Replace them asap. Keystone used them for years and they are risky if you google them.

See others agree these are the ideal ones Carlisle Radial Trail HD. We found the best price buying them on Amazon and whisper cheaper than discount tires out the door price even having to pay someone local to install.
precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:02 AM   #43
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Probably that question can be best answered by a knowledgeable RV dealership.

The following is a link to a government link that controls vehicle certification. You can just type it into your computers search engine. All parts are applicable for vehicle builders. The modifier sections are what you want to read.

49 CFR Part 567
There are two acceptable methods for trailer tire manufacturers to identify the tire's speed limit. The official way will show a speed letter at the end of the tire's load index letters. The optional method is to mold the speed limit onto the tire's sidewall.

Any ST tires not showing some form of speed restriction have a maximum limit of 65 MPH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Tire speed .jpg
Views:	131
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	38312 Click image for larger version

Name:	2 tire speed .JPG
Views:	106
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	38313
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:34 AM   #44
JBM3M

When I was looking for our RV last December one of the dealers told me no matter what to just buy new tires. I wondered why until I saw this thread.

I have TK on my 2018 5th wheel. Ordered 5 of the suggested brand before we take it out, should be here in 5 days. That spare that lost the sidewall and never saw the road did the trick for me. I used to sell tires, never saw anything like that.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:09 AM   #45
jasin1

I just installed five Carlisle radial trail hd tires on my fifth wheel today…replaced factory TK’s

I was surprised at how flimsy the sidewalls are on the trailer kings..they flexed really easy right about where the trailer king logo is..the Carlisle were definitely heavier tires also by a few pounds..at least thats how they felt lifting them side by side.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #46
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I just installed five Carlisle radial trail hd tires on my fifth wheel today…replaced factory TK’s

I was surprised at how flimsy the sidewalls are on the trailer kings..they flexed really easy right about where the trailer king logo is..the Carlisle were definitely heavier tires also by a few pounds..at least thats how they felt lifting them side by side.
The Carlisle also has a "scuff ring" on the sidewall. That's what I call it, it's a band of extra thickness that I beleive resists damage if you "kiss" a curb. Where did you end up going and how did it go?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:39 AM   #47
NH_Bulldog

I noticed the same thing when we changed to the Goodyear Endurance……8 lbs. per tire heavier than the TK’s
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:49 AM   #48
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The Carlisle also has a "scuff ring" on the sidewall. That's what I call it, it's a band of extra thickness that I beleive resists damage if you "kiss" a curb. Where did you end up going and how did it go?
Went to Ben’s tires…very good experience, no appt necessary.

Pulled up and they took me right back and changed them out, 5 tires ,balanced and steel valve stems for $176..plus I gave the guy $20 because he was right on the ball and had a good attitude. took less then an hour

I decided to just take the tires and leave my fiver blocked up and on auto level jacks because that was less work then unhooking everything and hauling the fifth wheel by myself over there.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:15 PM   #49
flybouy
Site Team

I've used Ben's alot over the years. The old man who owned it died about 4 or 5 years ago. He was a real southern gentalman from WV. His daughter took it over. She's the blond at the counter with the dually hips. Nice folks there.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #50
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
She's the blond at the counter with the dually hips.

I needed that laugh of the day ! Thanks !
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:37 AM   #51
stevencina

Quote:
We just got a 2020 Keystone cougar half-ton 29 MBS which has the original Trailer King tires on:

Tread level seems very good, but Im not sure how much I trust these tires. Also they are 2,5 yrs old and Im really wondering if we should replace them before embarking on our 6 month cross country roadtrip through the states (April - Sept).

Also the load rating has minimal margin lookign at GAWR and GVWR of the trailer. Does it make sense to upgrade to a higher weight class?

Thank you in advance!
I have a 2020 cougar 30rls it had trailer king tires. Had 3 tire explosions everything was correct on them. I replaced them with endurance tires, get rid of the trailer king tires!!!
stevencina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:54 AM   #52
rlh1957

Have a 2020 Cougar fifth wheel 29RKS new off the lot.
Had two Trailer Kings ST225/75R/15 blow and destroy their treads with less than 2000 miles on them. Both tires on opposite sides blew within an hour of each other.
Only tow my rig at 65mph, have TPMS to monitor tire temp and pressures.
TPMS gives you temp/pressures to see if a gradual change is occurring. When the tire let go, it blew before ant alarm.
When china bomb explodes there is no warning.
Had just visually inspected tires for anomalies at a fuel stop an hour before.

In hind site I would have replaced all five Trailer King tires before leaving dealer lot.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:54 PM   #53
Life-in-Him

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I will also endorse the Carlisle tires. Put them on my last trailer after a TK blew at the end or the 1st year causing 7k in damages. Never gave me a minutes trouble. I wouldn't dream of beginning a 6mo. trip with TK tires.....or 6 miles.
Our OEM TK's had 20k on them when we went to Carlisle's. Have 18k on the Carlisle's now.
We had the TK spare blow up still on the rack so as soon as we could we changed them out. (2k after spare incident) The TK's on the ground were all good with a 2nd season or more left. Absolutely no confidence in TK's!! (Rig is 2020 & built in 2019 with tires older than build date.)
We had the rig raised 3" because there was only a palm thickness between tire & floor. Tires had worn thru the material. We installed aluminum sheeting as protection. Only had 1-2 tire touching incidents from pot-canyons that hit the Al since.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:37 AM   #54
precab

Tires

Quote:

Thank you in advance!

These off amazon will be the best price and such a great upgrade in quality on our Passport.

Even paying a local tire shop to install the amazon option was cheaper than the driveout cost at Discount Tire

Carlisle Radial Trail HD
precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:48 AM   #55
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by precab View Post
These off amazon will be the best price and such a great upgrade in quality on our Passport.

Even paying a local tire shop to install the amazon option was cheaper than the driveout cost at Discount Tire

Carlisle Radial Trail HD
Just purchased five of them from WalMart for $111.12 each. That's the best price I was able to find.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #56
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Cal,

Can you provide a link to wheels that are capable of supporting the LRF steel case tires in 15" size ??? I've not yet found a wheel capable of supporting them that looks even acceptable on a travel trailer... If you know of any wheels, could you provide a link ??? THANKS
Actually the wheels only have to provide a the load capacity the vehicle's GAWRs are designed to support. However the wheels must have the capability to support the LRGs higher PSI values. Same for the valve stems.

Rim/wheel specifications such as load and PSI ratings are certified by the ASE, making it a little harder find them. However, vehicle manufacturers are responsibility to insure OEM wheels are appropriately fitted to your trailer.

I'm pretty sure that tire installers MUST use the proper fitment wheel sizes for everything they change.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:45 AM   #57
Desertsasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
TransEagle makes an all steel load range G in your tire size 225-75R15:

https://www.prioritytire.com/transea...caAgILEALw_wcB

You just need to make sure your rims can handle 110 psi. I purchased a set of steel wheels and TransEagle all steel 235-85R16 load range G for my rig over 2 years ago. So far very satisfied.
Or he could get the Load Range F to run at 90 psi, but still carry his load. I think they have a 3100+ lb load capacity. I run the F's 65 psi on a tandom axle utility trailer. I run that pressure because I only haul toys and light equipment on it. So there's no need to run full pressure. They have been holding up well so far.
Desertsasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 01:24 PM   #58
SD Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Have a 2020 Cougar fifth wheel 29RKS new off the lot.
Had two Trailer Kings ST225/75R/15 blow and destroy their treads with less than 2000 miles on them. Both tires on opposite sides blew within an hour of each other.
Only tow my rig at 65mph, have TPMS to monitor tire temp and pressures.
TPMS gives you temp/pressures to see if a gradual change is occurring. When the tire let go, it blew before ant alarm.
When china bomb explodes there is no warning.
Had just visually inspected tires for anomalies at a fuel stop an hour before.

In hind site I would have replaced all five Trailer King tires before leaving dealer lot.
Similar experience here…2021 Arcadia with 3600 miles on odometer showed slow leak on TPMS with the driver side front so I pulled over and changed it, went 50 miles further to tire shop and they said the tread had separated!! I replaced it and looked at the other tires. The driver side rear had separated also - you could see a obvious bulge around the tread. It wasn’t flat like it should have…enough for me and I replaced them all.
Yes I’ve had a TPMS since I took possession of the rig. I found the leak with a alarm from the TPMS. I also had a increase in temp with the other tire that separated. I traveled on the I5 for this adventure. So the moral of my story is….. maybe replace tires every 5k? Luckily no trailer damage.
SD Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, keystone, tires