Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
whthomas54

Clunking Toilet Valve

I have a 2022 Cougar 22MLSWE. I have the same loud clunking noise when releasing the flush handle on the toilet. I got a water hammer arrestor from Amazon and just installed it. The instructions said to install it close to the valve that was closing quickly so I installed it about 6" from the feed line. I'm still having the same loud banging sound after the install. After further investigation is sounds like the sound is coming from the toilet valve itself, but I'm not sure. Does anybody know what else I could check? Thanks
whthomas54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:19 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Are you using a good water pressure regulator?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #3
whthomas54

Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about the one the attaches to the campsite water supply. If so, I'm sure it's ok. The noise does not happen with either sink or the shower, just the toilet. It happens when using either the water pump when dry camping or the supply from the campsite when having full hookups. It sounds like the clunk is actually coming from the Dometic toilet itself.
whthomas54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:47 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If it’s only the toilet, then it probably is the toilet valve. As far as a pressure regulator if it’s on the spigot at the campground when you arrive that not a regulator it’s an anti backflow/vacum breaker. What you need is this:

https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Press...62893838&psc=1

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

My Dometic 310s have always had a "clunk". The first time I heard it the sound was very disconcerting and to this day it wakes me up when DW goes to the bathroom at 4am. I've accepted it. It does what it does without any problems so......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:37 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Mine "clunks" as well. When we flush the toilet, things work great, then, no matter how slowly you take your foot off the pedal, at some point, the spring snaps the ball valve shut and there's a "loud clunk" or "thud" as the toilet ball valve slams shut...

IMO, for what it's worth, I'd rather have the clunk and know the toilet valve is closed and I'm not going to have water leak out of the bowl and sewer gasses seep up into the bathroom through the "lost water seal"...

So, maybe not "asthetically pleasant" but to me, that clunk is reassurance that the toilet is working like it should.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:56 AM   #7
ChuckS

And if you have not purchased a spare valve for the toilet you would be wise to do so.. If that valve fails then you have no choice but to turn OFF all incoming water ... I added a sharkbite 1/4 turn shut off valve on the back of the toilet at the junction for the dometic 320 toilet I have in our RV..

That way I can turn off that cold water flow to toilet and still have water to the rest of the RV while I install a new toilet valve ( and yes, I have carried a spare for 8 years now for this RV )

Never leave your RV with the city water or water pump turned ON... seen many sad stories of OPs coming back to water flowing out the door and out the belly

A quality water pressure regulator is also key to longevity of the RV water plumbing.. A camco brass screw on pressure regulator is noting but junk

Added -- YES.. my Dometic 3209 water valve always makes a distinct clunk sound when the pedal is let off.. I prefer that as I know the water flow is stopped...

Also - release that foot pedal gently.. letting it SNAP back up is a sire fired way to crack either the valve or the pedal shaft attach point

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:03 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
And if you have not purchased a spare valve for the toilet you would be wise to do so.. If that valve fails then you have no choice but to turn OFF all incoming water ... I added a sharkbite 1/4 turn shut off valve on the back of the toilet at the junction for the dometic 320 toilet I have in our RV..

That way I can turn off that cold water flow to toilet and still have water to the rest of the RV while I install a new toilet valve ( and yes, I have carried a spare for 8 years now for this RV )

Never leave your RV with the city water or water pump turned ON... seen many sad stories of OPs coming back to water flowing out the door and out the belly

A quality water pressure regulator is also key to longevity of the RV water plumbing.. A camco brass screw on pressure regulator is noting but junk
Don't Have a spare valve, but when I replaced the to the current valve, I also added a shut off valve, mine is in the basement, as there wasn't enough room behind the toilet.
There is a clunk when it shuts, lust part of the toilet.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:06 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I would add; like the above 2 posts I added a cutoff to the toilet water supply line when I pulled out the Thetford and put in the Dometic. 1/4 turn with shark bite fittings and a flexible residential supply connection to the toilet. And yes, I carry a spare water valve assembly as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #10
ChuckS

My next project when weather warms up some more here in Idaho is to go ahead and add in sharkbite shutoff valves for the cold/hot water lines for kitchen and bathroom... I should have done this 7 years ago but have been lazy...

Trip in 2016 over in Iowa the kitchen faucet (OEM RV Junk ) developed a leak way up high where the tiny copper lines are press fitted into the fixture.. Needless to say we got lucky and a local hardware store in Onawa Iowa had the fittings to adapt a residential style kitchen faucet to replace the OEM junk.

I bet I have walked by the sharkbite shutoff valves in Homke Depot and Lowes at least a 100 times since then and look at them..

I finally bought four and will install.. If a faucet fails it sucks when you have to turn ALL the water off because of a leaking fixture.. No I wont

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Chuck,

Either buy two more valves for the outdoor shower faucet or think about where you install the sharkbite valves so they'd also shut off flow to that faucet. BTDT under my kitchen sink.... I now have two more valves in that line because I didn't consider putting my shutoff valved below the Tee to the outside shower rather than putting them above the Tee....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote