Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
loudihill

New member check in

Hello everyone,
My name is Louis. My wife and I recently bought a 2021 Keystone Cougar 26rks travel trailer. We are RV newbies and have taken it out locally twice. We are really enjoying our RV and planning more trips. We are towing the trailer with our 2019 QX80.

Any tips you can give up is greatly appreciated!
loudihill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudihill View Post
Hello everyone,
My name is Louis. My wife and I recently bought a 2021 Keystone Cougar 26rks travel trailer. We are RV newbies and have taken it out locally twice. We are really enjoying our RV and planning more trips. We are towing the trailer with our 2019 QX80.

Any tips you can give up is greatly appreciated!
Welcome! 30' travel trail behind a 7 passenger SUV? What could go wrong. You tongue weight is over 1100 lbs so hope you are aware this SUV of yours may not be happy. Just drive safely!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:16 PM   #3
dav6662

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Welcome! 30' travel trail behind a 7 passenger SUV? What could go wrong. You tongue weight is over 1100 lbs so hope you are aware this SUV of yours may not be happy. Just drive safely!

Geeze man do you sit by your computer just waiting for someone to post all about their new rig so you can dash their hopes and dreams publicly and make them feel very unwelcome? It is like you have all of the specs of every trailer ever built right at your finger tips, at the ready, waiting to show off how much you know about towing.

Let a new guy have an opportunity to understand what they are getting into, make them feel welcome and maybe guide them to sub-sections of the forum where they can learn about their rig and capabilities and ask questions, etc. This is an area where people are just saying hi and introducing themselves to the forum. They are not coming on here asking you to educate them.

Give it a rest......
dav6662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:44 AM   #4
Weldon

Welcome from Georgia!! Lots of extremely helpful and knowledgeable folks here. If you want to learn about camping, towing, traveling safely, etc., youve found a great forum. Enjoy!
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:48 AM   #5
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:17 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav6662 View Post
Geeze man do you sit by your computer just waiting for someone to post all about their new rig so you can dash their hopes and dreams publicly and make them feel very unwelcome? It is like you have all of the specs of every trailer ever built right at your finger tips, at the ready, waiting to show off how much you know about towing.

Let a new guy have an opportunity to understand what they are getting into, make them feel welcome and maybe guide them to sub-sections of the forum where they can learn about their rig and capabilities and ask questions, etc. This is an area where people are just saying hi and introducing themselves to the forum. They are not coming on here asking you to educate them.

Give it a rest......

I see in your last few posts you must have an axe to grind with the "weight" police and have your personal views on how weight issues, or possibly weight "dangers", should or should not be approached.

If you will read the OP's original post you might note that his last comment was "any tips that you can give would be greatly appreciated". I have bolded "any"; the OP didn't say "please just say hi", "don't talk about possible weight issues", "don't tell me how to determine if my weights are safe" etc. He said ANY POSSIBLE issues - you determined the other comments should be the case.

George saw what could be a possible weight issue, which most that know weights can see. Most newbies, might even say virtually all, have no idea how weights work or if they are safe or not. The goal is to keep "that" (any) new family safe - period. Keep that in mind before you decide to try to start chastising folks for violating some personally perceived process.

BTW OP welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig. As you can already tell we have a great concern for new folks getting into towing larger trailers and want to keep them safe. New folks join almost daily and the lack of knowledge on weights and their bearing on safe towing can be dangerous. We want to keep you and yours safe so take anything you deem worthwhile from the commentary that you will receive. Welcome aboard and ask away with questions or concerns; we have lots of helpful, knowledgeable folks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #7
Camping family

Welcome and enjoy the adventure of camping. Being fairly new ourself I have learned a lot from those on this site. Some good info from a lot and some seem to just like to put a damper on things. Take what info you want and go on. But I have found majority of the info is good stuff.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #8
dav6662

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I see in your last few posts you must have an axe to grind with the "weight" police and have your personal views on how weight issues, or possibly weight "dangers", should or should not be approached.

If you will read the OP's original post you might note that his last comment was "any tips that you can give would be greatly appreciated". I have bolded "any"; the OP didn't say "please just say hi", "don't talk about possible weight issues", "don't tell me how to determine if my weights are safe" etc. He said ANY POSSIBLE issues - you determined the other comments should be the case.

George saw what could be a possible weight issue, which most that know weights can see. Most newbies, might even say virtually all, have no idea how weights work or if they are safe or not. The goal is to keep "that" (any) new family safe - period. Keep that in mind before you decide to try to start chastising folks for violating some personally perceived process.

BTW OP welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig. As you can already tell we have a great concern for new folks getting into towing larger trailers and want to keep them safe. New folks join almost daily and the lack of knowledge on weights and their bearing on safe towing can be dangerous. We want to keep you and yours safe so take anything you deem worthwhile from the commentary that you will receive. Welcome aboard and ask away with questions or concerns; we have lots of helpful, knowledgeable folks.
You are correct the OP did ask for any tips...I guess my point was the response, I guess his name is George, gave him was pretty blunt and was very much in the tone of “you idiot” as opposed to let me guide you friendly down the TV capacity trail. There is a difference between offering advice and basically being rude. But I know I am wasting my time and energy..I understand the math of it all and the need for a voice of reason. I do not understand why that voice of reason must be in the tone of a bully.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #9
Uncoolron

Welcome fellow newbie to RV lifestyle. Happy travels and stay safe.
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav6662 View Post
You are correct the OP did ask for any tips...I guess my point was the response, I guess his name is George, gave him was pretty blunt and was very much in the tone of “you idiot” as opposed to let me guide you friendly down the TV capacity trail. There is a difference between offering advice and basically being rude. But I know I am wasting my time and energy..I understand the math of it all and the need for a voice of reason. I do not understand why that voice of reason must be in the tone of a bully.
I've read George's response a few times & although it was blunt I did not read it as being rude or indicating anything other than check the weights with the OPs safety in mind.
In reading some of your other post you come off as rather condescending with some of your comments, but that is in the tone of which it's being read I suppose.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

If a new guy asks for tips and is planning on pulling a large camper with a family SUV (or whatever that thing is), I feel it is incumbent on my to mention there may be a problem with the tow vehicle. If you think it rude, next time you tell him in a kinder and gentler way that a 7 passenger vehicle with likely a larger family riding in it is just perhaps dangerous. You call somebody rude? I am thinking perhaps you may be in that category based on your recent comments and those you have made before. You don't know me and we will likely never meet so tossing insults my way is probably OK! Bully? For answering the OP's request for tips? Geesh. BTW, the OP never came back after his initial post.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #12
dav6662

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If a new guy asks for tips and is planning on pulling a large camper with a family SUV (or whatever that thing is), I feel it is incumbent on my to mention there may be a problem with the tow vehicle. If you think it rude, next time you tell him in a kinder and gentler way that a 7 passenger vehicle with likely a larger family riding in it is just perhaps dangerous. You call somebody rude? I am thinking perhaps you may be in that category based on your recent comments and those you have made before. You don't know me and we will likely never meet so tossing insults my way is probably OK! Bully? For answering the OP's request for tips? Geesh. BTW, the OP never came back after his initial post.
Wonder why he did not come back?
Old 04-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #13
Sarge2

Some people take any type of "advise" as being rude or condescending no matter how you sugar coat it.. Most of us know that towing with an SUV and TT of that size is not the best of ideas.. but Maybe he didn't... Maybe he wanted to know if safe..
Regardless, I think it's just being a responsible person who offers GOOD advise when it's needed. I don't believe that there is always a tactful way of stating that someone may have an issue with the combo they are using.
I've been on the receiving end of some concerned members regarding my marginal combo. I took as nothing more than good advise.. I've found first hand that what they were telling me was spot on... So I guess that if you want to read into something and make it rude or unfeeling, you could easily do that. Or you can take it as 99.9% of the time is given in a helping concerned manner. That choice is up to the individual. JMHO
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #14
Gary R.

Hello Louis, and welcome to the forum!

Congrats to you and you DW on the purchase of the new Cougar!

Have fun and stay safe!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags