Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2019, 04:51 AM   #1
ChrisB

Friction Hinge problems

The upgraded Friction Hinges have nearly ruined both doors on my Rig. First I will need to replace the Hinges with the standard Hinges. Then determine if my door can be salvaged or if it will have to be replaced. the camper is only two years old and the doors have given me trouble since the first outing. I have taken it in to have them adjusted twice to the dealership. Twice they have told me that it was fixed. Now my door is actually coming apart from the frame on the hinge side. I have only been able to find one source of Lippert Black 6 leaf hinges for $16.95.

https://store.lci1.com/hinge-assembly-6-leaf-black

I am not sure how many I need, 1, 2 or 3 for each door.
They consider these hinges an upgrade, but they are undesirable for me! unless some of them are just too tight.
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:38 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a "dimple on the hinge" that causes the "friction fit"... You should be able to modify the hinges to eliminate the friction and use your existing hinges...

You likely can't order hinges from an RV store for your door. The door and frame are sold and packaged as a single unit, not individual parts. If you do find hinges, replace them on your existing structure, find you need a new door, you likely will also not be able to order "just the door". I think you'll run into some significant frustration locating hinges, then finding that won't fix the door "coming apart" and will wind up replacing the door, only to find you can't buy the door and will end up replacing the entire unit: door and frame... that unit is available with either "friction hinges" (as you now have) or "non-friction hinges" which is what you're trying to achieve....

Keep in mind that if you do move to "non-friction hinges" you're also going to need a means to keep the door open and "secured in one place". Most trailers have a "door latch" (they come in various styles) to secure the door when open. Some trailers, because of the awning location, can't be opened fully and many of the "door latches" won't work because of obstructions. So, think beyond replacing the hinges to the final outcome and how it will function. If you can devise a means to keep the door secure, no problem, but trust me when I say, "It's hell to have the wind rip a door off the hinge because there's no way to secure it when it's open." ….

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #3
Archergodwin

Ours has a gas filled rod, like you see on hatchbacks, opens the door slowly and holds it open.
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergodwin View Post
Ours has a gas filled rod, like you see on hatchbacks, opens the door slowly and holds it open.
Ours also has the gas rod "prop". The door is 1" shorter than the frame and the gas prop fits "under the door in that space". Although there are some "gas props" that will fit on the outside of the door, there is little/no bracing in that area for the strut and they seem to "tear out at will" and often at the most inopportune times.....

So, for most, adapting to a gas strut means rebuilding or replacing the door to obtain the space to mount the strut.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote