Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #21
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergodwin View Post
This picture shows a few things.
Boxed in furnace in the back corner. (to the left of the water heater)
Capped off gray intake and vent.
Capped off black intake.
New 2" line for sink & shower coming from upper middle to new 3" line, tying in the existing vent.
60 single inverter.
New 3" line from flush toilet coming down from upper left, behind capped off intake and plumbed around the black tank and out.

Also showing initial external plumbing using 3" abs, and tying in the original drain which was only functioning as the kitchen sink drain at the time.

Current status of external drain is the 3" now comes out and goes straight to the back of the trailer, where it picks up the new 2" line that I cut and rerouted to dump right behind the rear wheel ( also put a trap in that line and heat taped it.. as that is the kitchen sink and clothes washer drain now).
Are you sure that's a 60W inverter? That is smaller than what is in my truck (300 Watts). I suspect it's actually a 60 amp converter/charger.
Also if you don't pull in any cold return air from basement, is the basement capable of freezing those plastic pipes? Or is there still hot air being pumped into the basement but now not being recirculated but instead leaking out who knows where. I like the idea of not pulling the cold from the basement but I don't understand what the circulation looks like down there now.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:27 AM   #22
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
So I assume you have no plans to move your rig, at least other than from one "permanent site" to another "permanent site"? With the tanks all capped off, permanent plumbing, installations in the garage, etc. it sort of looks like you have used an RV as a base for "building a cabin".

That's not intended to be the least bit critical! What you have done is great. And there is a bunch of useful information in your posts. Thanks for all that. I just wonder if some of the mods would work for the typical RV'er that moves from site to site or boondocks on a regular basis and considers all that as "camping" and "travel". Then there is the issue of GVWR related to moving over the highway...etc.

Anyway, thanks for the information.
We are still free to move around if we choose. More difficult? Yes. Permanent plumbing? Sort of... the piping from the new 3" drop is about 4 pieces of 3" ABS starting with a threaded elbow, a couple of straight sections a Y to accept my modified rear drain for kitchen/clothes washer and winding up with a 2' section of "RV" flexible tubing. ABS sections are connected via rubber slip joints.

When I installed the residential toilet we talked and pretty much decided that we were never going to take a 40ft triple axle rig 'boondocking'. However all the mods do not keep us from traveling.

As to the issue of GVWR going down the road, the flooring added a little weight, and for the 'toy' section, it has 2000lb cargo capability, which we are pretty close to.

You are correct in your assessment of this being a base for building a home. We are purchasing land in the next 2-3yrs around the area we are currently living. However we are still quite mobile
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:31 AM   #23
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Are you sure that's a 60W inverter? That is smaller than what is in my truck (300 Watts). I suspect it's actually a 60 amp converter/charger.
Also if you don't pull in any cold return air from basement, is the basement capable of freezing those plastic pipes? Or is there still hot air being pumped into the basement but now not being recirculated but instead leaking out who knows where. I like the idea of not pulling the cold from the basement but I don't understand what the circulation looks like down there now.
I do state that it is a 60amp inverter, and you are correct and I referenced it wrong... that is my 60am CONVERTER .. thanks for catching that SonofCy

The basement still has a slight amount of heat 'recirculating' in it. The 4" flexible lines from the furnace to the bathroom and bedroom still put out a fair amount of heat just by convention/radiating.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:45 AM   #24
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
So you plumbed the grey into the black? Not sure why?
Also not sure why a residential toilet?
With the hard piping for your 3" drain does that mean you've bypassed the black tank & leave the drains open? If you didn't bypass the tank & leave the valve open is a recipe for a "poop pyramid" under the toilet, not a pleasant problem to cure.
Mods all look good, well executed, but now it appears not very mobile & very heavy for any lengthy travel.
I plumbed the gray into the black, because they both use the same new 3" drain line, just line your residence does.

Residential toilet, because we currently have no plans to dry camp in this rig, and after 5 years of messing with cable operated slide dump valves, which were never designed to have that many operations, I wanted some relief from trying to get a stupid design working in 20 or lower degree weather.

The main tank was bypassed, guess I did not point to that in my list, but yes.. very aware of poop stalagmites forming .. haha. So yes, that line is always open, and utilizes the original 2" vent line to the gray tank.

I 'capped' off the tanks in the method I did (threaded end caps) because I do intend to return the coach to the capability of dry camping by removing the new lines I put in, and installing 3-way valves. I would have put some in from the gitgo, but I could not find just the right ones.

A for weight, I don't believe we have exceeded the coach's original limitations. While all the equipment in the 'garage' section sound like a lot, it does have a 2000lb cargo capability.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:09 AM   #25
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The mods, IMHO, change the design of the OP's toy hauler from being a "mobile, self contained toy hauler" to a "destination trailer" no longer capable of "self contained travel". Many of the modifications have likely changed the weight/balance of the trailer, possibly causing it to be overweight on parts of the chassis, violating axle weight maximums or tire maximums.
Absolutely true.. to a point. None of the mods that limit self-contained travel are permanent, and are intended/designed to be reversed in the future. The weight distribution was kept in mind, and I don't believe we have exceeded the cargo's section of 2000lbs.

Quote:
While it better serves the OP's purpose, it loses a part of the mobility that is a significant reason for selecting a "self contained toy hauler". If "form and function" are used as selection criteria, I'd pose (to myself) the question: Is the initial choice of a toy hauler the best choice for this application? Of course, my input isn't important and I'm not selecting or using the OP's trailer.
This toy hauler was the absolute best choice for what we are doing, and what we've done to it, enable a more comfortable living space.

Quote:
There are some "thought provoking modifications" that make sense to apply in other situations and some "can't do this and remain self-contained modifications" that aren't possible in a trailer that must remain mobile and self contained"... In other words, some of the OP's ideas are great for most of us while some are so specialized that few (if any) could incorporate them in their RV.
Also, very true. That is the point of forums though, to share what you've done and how you did it. Not all upgrades or modifications can be incorporated into 'your' application, because of various reasons. What I've posted here, is no different

Quote:
If it works for him and doesn't pose an environmental or safety hazard to the public, then that's pretty much all that matters, unless he elects to put it on the road behind a tow vehicle. Then, it needs to meet all the safety requirements imposed on every travel trailer of its design. Ultimately, that's the only "impact it has on the public"....
Yep, and nothing I've done has impacted public safety, or our own... specifically referring to the septic plumbing or weight.

I do want to install a heavier 5th wheel hitch for future moves, and if I were traveling a bunch with this coach, I'd get a dually truck. Designing in and keeping a high margin of safety is extremely important.

Tags
mod