Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2019, 03:00 AM   #1
Dan Lockwood

2012 Raptor 395LEV 3rd AC Ready?

I just purchase a very nice '12 395LEV with very little use.

But while having it in my driveway and doing the normal adding of new items, I have converted my 50 amp welder outlet to the 4-pin RV plug and have been running it on the shore cord without any issues.

BUT... it's been in the mid 90's here and with the main living area AC on AND the master AC on, it does not drop much below 80 degrees inside.

I was wondering if the garage was 3rd AC prepped with the mounting in the roof along with wiring etc?

If not, is this a "handyman" install or dealer only?

Not being that familiar yet with the RV's in general, from what I've read it may not be possible to run all three AC's at the same time, even if installed. The garage AC would probably be a better 2nd AC compared to the master bedroom AC if not sleeping at the time.

Opinions anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:34 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There is usually a tag on the ceiling near the vent, yours may have fallen off if it was there. If you can reach it, just remove the trim ring on the ceiling and it should allow you to look for wiring. Your looking for Romex for the 110V needed to operate the fan/compressor and possibly some thermostat wiring, usually multi strand in a brown sheath.

If nothing is up there, then it will be some work, but you could do it, and it would be cheaper than paying a dealer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:22 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

A 50A service will only support TWO air conditioners running at the same time. If a 3rd A/C was wired in, some means of switching to which two were needed would need to have been made. There are some RVs with 3 A/C units but they switch via some system where two are running at the same time. If you want a 3rd A/C you may find that the vent you have in mind is not wired or braced so you could pull off the ceiling panels, put in bracing to support the weight of an A/C unit on top the garage roof and run a piece of Romex down the side of the wall to an outside outlet and hook into a 15A outlet on a power pedestal at a park or one you could install where the camper is parked. The hole for the vent is the same size as the hole for the A/C and you would want to use a non-ducted A/C unit with controls right on the unit to avoid the complication of running wires for a wall mounted control box.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
NevadaRich

Dan,

I have a 2015 Voltage 3895 now, but have had Keystone TH before, I Run 3 A/C's on mind and have run all 3 at the same time in 113d weather, you can't start them all at the same time but after each gets going, all 3 will run on 50A......Now if the wiring is not up there, it is going to be tough to do, because you have to run the wiring to your fuse panel, and add a breaker for the 3rd AC. When you remove the inside ring from the Fan, you will see if you have the Framing to handle the weight of an A/C, you can add more bracing if you have the room?? Most TH have the roof framing to handle the weight, you can do the job, but its a a lot of work, mainly the wiring if its not there, I have had 6 RVs over the years, and do almost all the work on them, most of the framing is 2X2
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor