Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
Jorme

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Jorme -

It was the "Web censorship" Websense here at work that kept me from seeing the photos. And yes, they are there until my "10 minute quota" is expired.

UltraHeat is definitely the tank heater! UltraHeat is what I am putting on my Alpine. I've made two posts about the process - one on installing the heaters on the front tanks and one on installing the controls. I will probably make a third post about the Fresh Water tank and Gray2 next week when I finish installation next weekend (hopefully!). One of our members, Wolfwalker, is also a distributor for UltraHeat.

I see from your pictures - and please give your wife a huge "Thank you" for her efforts and pictures - that you had a 12 volt pad. I need to tell you that it looks like some of your tank fill indicator wires are enwrapped by the damaged tank heating pad. You might want to untangle those and free them up if they are still good. This model is no longer available available as I would guess it has been replaced by a later model. I'm curious, though, what tank was this heater applied to? And are there other heaters on the other tanks? Usually, from what I have read and been told when asking questions, each tank heater has its own separate switch. The primary reason for this is that the tank heater should not be "On" when the tank is less than a quarter full.

If you would like to see the installation or the controls for my tank heaters, scan back to the Modifications subject area of the Forum during January and you will find two posts of mine. Hopefully next week will bring another.

And, Jorme, thank you for your input on this. Now I am REALLY curious why Keystone doesn't offer this as an Option.

Ron
I have to admit, I actually forgot the heater wasn't on the tank....Its been so long and we typically don't camp in cold enough weather to warrant it. So Cal just doesn't get that cold. It was installed on the black tank I believe, I'll double check that. And yes, looking at the pics, I should clean up the wiring. My indicator still works, just another reason I forgot about it. This will definitely be on my "to do" list before we head out again next month.

https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l..._1572720_n.jpg
Old 03-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
Festus2
Site Team

Jorme:
I am wondering (yes, still wondering) if you purchased this unit used and the previous owner had that "option" installed afterwards. ???? If you come back and say that you bought it new and it came with it, I promise not bug you any more.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #23
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorme View Post
I have to admit, I actually forgot the heater wasn't on the tank....Its been so long and we typically don't camp in cold enough weather to warrant it. So Cal just doesn't get that cold. It was installed on the black tank I believe, I'll double check that. And yes, looking at the pics, I should clean up the wiring. My indicator still works, just another reason I forgot about it. This will definitely be on my "to do" list before we head out again next month.
Say, the heater wiring and all is still good, I would bet. If you want to replace that tank heater, send a PM to Forum member "Wolfwalker". With my experience so far - you have the worst part of the installation already done! Putting on a new tank heater would be a 15 minute job - including crawl time - since I would guess your tank is not enclosed by coroplast. Crawl under the RV, clean the tank bottom and then "really clean" it by wiping with rubbing alcohol, peel the back off the heater and press apply (don't rub), and crimp the wiring into the old wires. That's all!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #24
Jorme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Jorme:
I am wondering (yes, still wondering) if you purchased this unit used and the previous owner had that "option" installed afterwards. ???? If you come back and say that you bought it new and it came with it, I promise not bug you any more.
Refer to post #9

Yes I bought it new......

Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
geo

Apologies to OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchikerman View Post
O-k on the holding tank monitoring panel I have two switches one says pump the other says htr which I assume means heater but which heater, furnace, water heater, and how and when to use it...I looked in the manual which was not much help
My apologies to the OP, hitchikerman! We drifted your post way off topic! I looked at your other posts, you have a 2008 Cougar 311RLS, correct? I would bet Hank gave you the correct answer - it's the water heater switch to apply gas service. Now, if you got a Keystone option tank heater, I think there will be an uprising from the Forum heading to Goshen, IN with pitchforks and torches! But I would guess Hank is absolutely correct - gas service for the water heater.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #26
Jorme

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
My apologies to the OP, hitchikerman! We drifted your post way off topic! I looked at your other posts, you have a 2008 Cougar 311RLS, correct? I would bet Hank gave you the correct answer - it's the water heater switch to apply gas service. Now, if you got a Keystone option tank heater, I think there will be an uprising from the Forum heading to Goshen, IN with pitchforks and torches! But I would guess Hank is absolutely correct - gas service for the water heater.

Ron
Back to the topic at hand......I was unaware of a water heater switch inside the trailer. Both myself, my brother-in-law Copper Canyon (3141bhds) and my parents Montana (2980rl) have the water heater gas/electric switch on the water heater itself inside the cover.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorme View Post
Back to the topic at hand......I was unaware of a water heater switch inside the trailer. Both myself, my brother-in-law Copper Canyon (3141bhds) and my parents Montana (2980rl) have the water heater gas/electric switch on the water heater itself inside the cover.
I can only speak with any knowledge on the Alpine 3640RL that I own. I will definitely say, Keystone can be creative with the changes within the same model year and model! (For example - there are no air filters on my heat pump, but Docdata757 with the same model has air filters!) So with all disclaimers applied and noted:

Inside the Control Panel area of my Alpine, there is a "Water Heater" switch and light. If one would like, it can be seen in my posting about Tank Heater Controls in late January, 2012 in the Modifications subject area. That switch only controls the gas service to the water heater. The electric service is controlled by a switch on the water heater itself that is accessed by removing the outside water heater cover. Now, the light on the control panel will function for both gas and electric. I know because I once had to reset the electrical breakers located on the water heater tank itself - and the light went out.

With all these Keystone uncertainties, I'm not sure what is "truth" anymore!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #28
hitchikerman

Thanks everyone great posts on the subject...yes I do have a 2008 311RLS Cougar and should have stated that in op...(my bad) but when I took possession of this trailer last Aug. we did a walk through of this trailer and the service department never explain this part of the trailer to me...now I hope I haven't burn out the heating element because the electric switch was in the on position when I checked
Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
hankpage
Site Team

Hitchhikerman, If there is water in the tank or the circuit breaker is off you should be okay.

Jorme, The last photo your very special wife took shows the HTR switch in question next to the one marked PUMP.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
Jorme

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Hitchhikerman, If there is water in the tank or the circuit breaker is off you should be okay.

Jorme, The last photo your very special wife took shows the HTR switch in question next to the one marked PUMP.

Ahhh....ya, thats how I turn on my water heater with gas!!

I way overthought that from the beginning.....But I am glad that we got off topic on what we did

Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #31
hitchikerman

Yea Hankpage thats exactly what happen I did have water in the tank when I had the trailer plug into 110v saved me from burning out the heater element...I got lucky there...am using the trailer now...got hot water with the gas switch in the off position
Old 04-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #32
hitchikerman

Well guest I wasn't so lucky after all...had my son do a resistance test on the heating element and says Dad you fried it went to Home Depot and bought one for under $10.00...all good now
Old 04-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #33
Festus2
Site Team

On That Positive Note........

Hitchikerman's OP has been thoroughly discussed and his problem was solved with just a minimal amount of $$$ being spent. Looks like he's happy () and on that happy note ---- a good time to close the thread.

Closed Thread