Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Keldave4498

2part question about electric

When leaving a trailer for seasonal use at a campground that bills for electric what is the average monthly cost?

If leaving a trailer at a campground and using it just on weekends do tou leave fridge turned on or shut it off at the end of the weekend and turn it back on when you get there on friday?
Keldave4498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Don’t have an answer for the first question.

I would leave the propane on and set the fridge to Auto, and leave it on during the week. That way you can leave it stocked with food, and if the power goes out at the campground, your battery should keep,the refer running for a couple of days. Since you won’t be opening the refer it might keep the food cold. I doubt the power would stay off long enough to cause the battery to go dead.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldave4498 View Post
When leaving a trailer for seasonal use at a campground that bills for electric what is the average monthly cost?

If leaving a trailer at a campground and using it just on weekends do tou leave fridge turned on or shut it off at the end of the weekend and turn it back on when you get there on friday?

The first part of your question is pretty much useless. It completely depends on what you run, a personal thing, and what the site charges you per kwh. No one can tell you that.

If you are going to be there every week, leave the fridge on. There is no sense in shutting it down, trying to cool down for a few days, shut it off and repeat. If you shut it down, let it get hot, arrive on Friday and think you're going to have "cold stuff" Sat. morning you will be disappointed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
TheGriz

I agree with previous two posters, leave the fridge on and set on auto.

Regarding the first part of your question, the cost of your electricity will by very, very minimal. Though I never had an RV that I left at a campground, I did build a very small cabin 240 square feet decently insulated, with a small residential fridge. I would go to cabin on weekends and it would be vacant Monday through Thursday. My electric bill was at high end $25 for the month. KWH cost was about 12 cents including everything, generation, distribution, fees and taxes. Most of that was consumed of course while I was there using the hot water, electric stove, fridge and lights. I did run a 8K btu AC unit on only the hottest days.

BTW...the setting had a million dollar view!

Hope this helps!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01781_resized.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	15907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282_resized.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	15908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248_resized.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	15909  

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:11 AM   #5
Tinner12002

When we had our other toy hauler at a campground we would average about $30-$35 a month with frig running all the time. No lights or AC unless we were there on the weekends, usually just every other weekend. Everything stayed hooked up, slides out, black pipe hooked up, water and electric all stayed connected. Make sure you have a good surge protector on your electric.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #6
Keldave4498

Hey sourdough see thehelpful answers i got and stop answering my post as you are rude thank you
Keldave4498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldave4498 View Post
Hey sourdough see thehelpful answers i got and stop answering my post as you are rude thank you
I wasn't rude...just factual. You asked an open ended question that no one has an answer to. You could have provided specifics; is the AC/furnace running to keep the RV like you want it? What is your cost per KWH? How do you actually leave your trailer?

I'm not rude; just pointing out you asked a useless question without further specifics. I can tell you the cost per KWH when I stay at a place, how much I use the AC, the furnace and the thermostat settings I use. So, as I said, your first question was pointless; as illustrated by the first response you got. I responded to your second point correctly.

When asking a question about anything, you need to provide specifics. Asking questions with no information is sort if like "I'm buying an RV, will my truck pull it"? Useless. We all want to help but you have to help us help you. And, I will point out that you are a little quick to jump on folks for being rude that are trying to help you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:32 AM   #8
Dave W

We 'seasonal' much of the summer. Our electric is figured at whatever National Grid bills the CG per kWh. Last year it was at 11 cents. The previous year it was 22 cents for part of the season. The CG does not add any other fees but other CGs will. Our cost/month is normally less then $50 and we are at the CG at least 3 and ofter 4 nights a week

As far as whether to leave the reefer on - others have given you a good answer but also you need to factor in a little more to run the inverter. IMO, it causes less wear and tear on a pretty weak device if you don't cycle it every couple weeks

As far as the final cost of the months electric bill - that is dependent on how often you are at site and what electricity you 'burn' with TVs, stereos and lighting.

Oh and Danny's answer - not rude
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:33 AM   #9
Pull Toy

1. Maybe, instead of attacking a Senior Member with over 4000 posts (compared to your 7).... for a well intentioned reply, You should ask other people in the park where you will be parking your camper, or check with campground management.

2. As already mentioned, your camper 'fridge will probably need 24 to 36 hours to come down to safe holding temperature if left turned off in a closed up camper.

"You will catch more bears with honey, than you ever will with vinegar!"

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote