Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
EcoboostKev

Personal opinions wanted

I was just wondering what you guys think about aluminum sided trailers compared to the smooth fiberglass. I think the fiberglass looks nicer but the aluminum seems alot more durable. What are your opinions?????
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I had a 34' Holiday Rambler with smooth aluminum siding. It was apparently constructed in about 75F temperature. At that temp, it had smooth sides and really looked good, but in the summer, with temps over 100 and sunshine, the metal expanded, and the sides looked like the side of an old tramp steamer with the "oil can" effect. It's been my experience that fiberglass doesn't expand or contract as much as metal, so the sides stay smooth through a greater temperature swing.

As for durability, with proper care, I think either has a potential for a troublefree lifespan of most RV's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
chuck&gail

Have had two of each. We prefer fiberglass. Easier to wash and wax, by a lot. Also the aluminum gets dented real easy and that's hard to fix. Aluminum scratches seem to appear by magic. The fiberglass stays looking great far better for many more miles. Never got a dent in fiberglass, and scratches just polish out. Note trailers used on same type roads and similar miles. We do like the old numbered highways and out of the way treed campgrounds.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
campingcpl

I agree with the other post! I would never have anything other then a glass unit. A glass unit maybe a little heavier and cost a little more, but it's worth the extra weight and price. When it comes to ease of maintenace and durabilty you can't beat glass. Like another post said, the metal looks good till you get some scratches in it or dents or the sun starts to fade the color in it or causes it to buckle and the staples start to pull out and you get this nice wavy look down the side of the unit. Not to mention a metal trailer will get warmer in the summer and colder in the cooler months of camping then a glass trailer will. The metal transfers hot and cold more then the glass and luan does. Glass also has a better insulating factor then metal. The glass is a solid piece (no gaps) where metal is put on in strips and put together like a siding and stapled to the wall studs leaving air gaps between the strips and where it isn't attached to the studs. As for me I'll always buy a glass unit over a metal unit!

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

HI THERE NEVER OWED A METAL UNIT 3 GLASS ONE. I HAVE SEEN SOME REALY NICE METAL ONES BUT THE HUSBAND(S) SPEND LOTS OF TIME WITHE THE CLEANER AND POLISH SEVERAL TIMES A SEASON. MINE IS MUCH EASIER TO KEEP CLEAN AND SHINNEY AS HANK SAYS JUST MU 2 CENTS WORTH.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
2011 keystone

The only down side to fiberglass and this is only from what I have read is that they are more prone to stess cracks. I dont know this for sure because i have never owned a fiberglass trailer. But as othes here have said already. Cleaning a fiberglass TT would have to be alot easier than metal it takes me all day to wash and wax mine.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
jq1031

Smile

Fiberglass all the way, easier to maintain & repair.....brought my TT home today for a little TLC & after a couple hours of spit & polish it looks show room.......
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
ktmracer

I have a smooth sided aluminum cargo trailer and a fiberglass sided TT. The smooth aluminum is very easy to dent/scratch, and expands/contracts with heat and give ripples. the fiberglass looks nicer and doesn't expand/contract as much and is much easier to wax and keep clean looking.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
Fiberglass all the way, easier to maintain & repair.....brought my TT home today for a little TLC & after a couple hours of spit & polish it looks show room.......
Nice!!! Mine is all covered up with 4" of snow on it!! Cant wait till spring!
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
cumminsdad08

i am happy with the ribbed allm. i backed into a pole a little bit ago, and it just dented it. if i had a fiberglass, i am sure i would have had to repair it before winter. i can live with a little dent. cleaning it is a PIA tho. brush don't work that well.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
B_Harten

Go Fiberglass!

Had corrugated aluminum on a motorhome and toyhauler. Couldn't even drive across town without getting a new ding on the side from rocks being kicked up. Don't know how they kept hitting the sides.

Have an enclosed snowmobile trailer with smooth aluminum sheeting. Better than corrugated for sure. But not near as nice as my fiberglass Cougar.

Towed by either:
2010 Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Duramax
or
2011 Crew Cab Flat Bed 3500HD Duramax
B_Harten is offline   Reply With Quote