Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
msubobcats

Not using the 5th Wheel ladder again!!!

Started cleaning the roof, washing the 5th Wheel this afternoon and noticed the upper inside mount on the unit is starting to pull out. And it cannot be tightened. See no way to secure it.
Really a bit irritating. Now I will be strapping my shorter extension ladder on the ladder for any trips.
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
Shotgun

Sounds like possible water damage to the wood that it was secured to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Shotgun

Mine did the same when the wood was damaged.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If the upper inside mount is loose, I'd urge you not to add any weight to the ladder by strapping anything to it during travel. The extra weight and vibration will put even more stress on the loose mount and cause more damage. I'd find another place to secure the ladder during towing and find a way to inspect that mount for damage. It does sound like a leak and subsequent damage to the OSB roofing under the roof membrane.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
msubobcats

So now after being a bit ticked off at the possibility of some very shoddy craftsmanship by Keystone I am wondering about how to verify the possibility of water intrusion? And as for a way to seal up a possible leak what should I use.
Again ticks me off because we chose to not get the extended warranty. I guess we could purchase an extended warranty. Believe they do a good inspection before you can purchase. We are one year and seven months last the warranty
Have only been on the roof via the ladder FIVE times. Darn!!!
Old 09-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

The mounting plate was installed with butyl tape underneath. You should be fine, I would remove all the screws that hold that mounting plate. Then use more butyl/putty tape underneath, rotate the plate and re install the screws. Then cover the entire plate with Dicor self leveling lap sealant.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
msubobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The mounting plate was installed with butyl tape underneath. You should be fine, I would remove all the screws that hold that mounting plate. Then use more butyl/putty tape underneath, rotate the plate and re install the screws. Then cover the entire plate with Dicor self leveling lap sealant.
So I am guessing I can find that at Home Depot, Lowes, etc? Maybe even our local Ace Hardware, small as it is. Or even maybe our local Napa Auto... Sounds sort of like the same stuff they use in our country for ice dams on roofs, but a bit thinner.
Thank you
Old 09-04-2017, 02:45 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't know if the hardware stores carry that kind of stuff, I do know any RV parts store would and probably Amazon.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:27 AM   #9
Shotgun

Amazon for both or if you happen to have a rv service place around.

Tags
5th wheel, ladder