Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
Steve S

Cleaning the H/W tank

I watched this on another site and thought that it was pretty interesting and thought that I would share this.
Does anyone clean their H/W tanks this way? I was kind of wondering if the water would taste like vinegar for a few weeks after the process is done.
https://youtu.be/TL7AtXJYNcc
Old 02-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
notanlines

I'm curious how people clean their water heaters at home.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

^^^What he said. I drain my RV water heater 1-2 times a year. I don't do that at home so I'm thinking the RV is OK............
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:55 AM   #4
bsmith0404

We don't drink the water in our RV anyway, it's used for washing up and the toilet. The closest we get to drinking is brushing our teeth, but that's on the clod side. As for this method leaving a vinegar taste, if you flush it with water a couple times I doubt it would be a problem. Not really any different than cleaning a coffee maker.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
Rex1vt

I recently checked and flushed the water heater of our 2014 and the anode really needed to be changed to protect the heater.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
concours

Looks like overkill to me. I filter our water going in with a 5 micron pre plus a carbon filter also flush the tank twice a year never a problem. Note we live in our trailer for 6 months of the year. I get 1.5 years from the anode. I guess a lot depends on water source but Hemet CA isn't renowned for it's water quality.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
Steve S

K but have any of you actually looked into the tank to see what's really going on? I really don't like the "Guessing" that it's fine I'd like to hear if anyone else has done it this way and what their results were.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
Drydays

Water heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
K but have any of you actually looked into the tank to see what's really going on? I really don't like the "Guessing" that it's fine I'd like to hear if anyone else has done it this way and what their results were.
I have cleaned mine once a year , for several years. Even with filters, most all places ,,water is different, minerals and chemicals make a lot of changes in the tanks.
Mine has always had an aluminum tank and NO anode rod, (lucky there?) Any way . The buildup inside a tank can do a lot of damage to the tank and on Anode rods it can destroy one sooner than most think.
I use a 5 gallon bucket for the first flush to see the gunk.. Oh and if you do this on a paved or concrete surface you my want to bucket all the drainage. It sometimes gets to be a mess.
Good luck and keep your water clean, you never know when the hose stuff breaks down. I always keep at least 20 gallons in my fresh tank and drain it when I get home..
Drydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
Drydays

Water heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
At home? bricks and sticks? Yep, do that, connect a hose at the bottom of the tank. MAKE SURE IT HAS BEEN SHUT OFF FOR A WHOLE 24 HOURS or run out the hot water first.

Shut off your water main, open all your hot water facents and , open the valve to drain the tank. let it run out. Then shut off all the facents and turn on the out side water again. let run till clean.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
mfifield01

Do you actually see that much stuff come out? I drain mine to winterize, but don't see much come out. Maybe I should run water through it.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #11
notanlines

Drydays, I was kind of making a little funny here, but do you actually take the time to drain and rinse your water heater at home? Can you tell us where that came from? I simply cannot fathom anyone with enough time (and the urge) to put draining and rinsing the water heater on my list of maintenance items at home. Might I ask how you benefit by this.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #12
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydays View Post
I have cleaned mine once a year , for several years. Even with filters, most all places ,,water is different, minerals and chemicals make a lot of changes in the tanks.
Mine has always had an aluminum tank and NO anode rod, (lucky there?) Any way . The buildup inside a tank can do a lot of damage to the tank and on Anode rods it can destroy one sooner than most think.
I use a 5 gallon bucket for the first flush to see the gunk.. Oh and if you do this on a paved or concrete surface you my want to bucket all the drainage. It sometimes gets to be a mess.
Good luck and keep your water clean, you never know when the hose stuff breaks down. I always keep at least 20 gallons in my fresh tank and drain it when I get home..
Yeah it's the build up that you can't see that I'm a little concerned about. I go through 2 rods a yr as there's places where you can smell how bad the water is. I'm thinking about gettine one of those scopes if I can find one.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #13
Drydays

At the sticks and bricks, had sand and dirty ssssttt,,,,,,,,,uff come out, the toilet was getting ring around the collar, called the water dept, said ,oh that is normal. Ha nice clean Oregon water. But did get it cleaned out.
In the trailer the first time A whole bunch of white gooey stuff came out, and the last couple of time has bee fairly clean. We travel from AK to TX to NC and other spots, so all kinds of water is getting filtered in to the hot water tank.
It won't hurt to clean it out once in a while.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #14
Drydays

I just do, but I am kinda nutty that way , I like to take care of things,
Old 07-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #15
Harleydodge

I'm gonna resurrect this thread and add some pics for anyone interested.

Today I flushed out the HWT on our Raptor.
It is a 2013 that we just bought used this spring.
On our first trip with it, we noticed that the water, particularly the hot water, had a terrible chemically odor to it and was very yellow in color.
No matter how long I ran the water, I could not seem to flush it out properly.

After looking into it further, I noticed the plug/anode rod in the bottom of the tank and decided to pull it and drain the the tank that way.
Glad I did, as once I extracted the plug, and amazing amount of built-up crud/scale came out.
The rod itself was covered in an oily/tarry/sticky substance that I can only assume was old antifreeze that had been heated in the tank.
I can't say this wasn't entirely my fault, as this is our first RV and I guess I should have known to flush the system completely before we used it, but hey, how else am I supposed to learn this stuff??

Anyway, I proceeded to fill the tank again and repeat the process of draining it.
After 3 times and still getting "crud" coming out the tank, I decided to fill it again and while it was draining I used the air hose fitting shown to help "stir up and evict the crud". This seemed to work well, and after bleeding out all the lines in the trailer, I now seem to have gotten rid of the smell/odor/color.

We will still likely only use the on board water system for showering and washing dishes and whatever, but not for drinking. We prefer to use a 5 gallon water jug and pump for drinking/coffee/cooking water.

I now have a better understanding of how I will likely winterize the unit as a result and now know to flush the HWT before using it each season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_143754[1].jpg
Views:	144
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	13358   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_144013[1].jpg
Views:	138
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	13359   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_144325[1].jpg
Views:	145
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	13360  

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #16
Ken / Claudia

Spend a few bucks and change the rod every year. I do drain the house HW and the RVs but, not ever flushed them. I do not drink any of the hot water so not sure if I need to flush them or not. I have filter on the sink and like others clean dishes with hot water But, you guys be very careful about vinegar. If you drink some make sure a toilet is close by and you will need it for awhile.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #17
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
I'm gonna resurrect this thread and add some pics for anyone interested.

Today I flushed out the HWT on our Raptor.
It is a 2013 that we just bought used this spring.
On our first trip with it, we noticed that the water, particularly the hot water, had a terrible chemically odor to it and was very yellow in color.
No matter how long I ran the water, I could not seem to flush it out properly.
By the looks of it you have an aluminum rather than magnesium rod in what also looks like a Suburban unit. Magnesium is what Suburbans come with from the factor and does a better job and less smell.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:41 AM   #18
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny's Journey View Post
By the looks of it you have an aluminum rather than magnesium rod in what also looks like a Suburban unit. Magnesium is what Suburbans come with from the factor and does a better job and less smell.
Hmm. Interesting. Thank-you for that. Perhaps I will look further into it.
The rod itself did not appear to have any corrosion whatsoever on it, so it may well have been replaced at some point.
It IS a Suburban unit for sure by the way.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank