Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
Alicat

Ground control jack broken

Hello, I'm a new owner of a 2014 Cougar Xlite 29rli. 5th wheel . Was all set to leave on a trip this a.m. But when I went to raise the leveling jacks the right rear would not retract. When I checked the jack I could push it up and ii could tell it was not engaging. The motor would run but nothing was happening. I removed the jack and was able to pull the shaft out. I could see the broken shaft of the jack where I looked like a pin went thru to turn it. I pulled the jack apart further and seen that the "pin" had worked its way out of the carrier and appeared to get jammed up inside, causing it to shear off the shaft. I then noticed the cotter pin was just sitting there by itself. It doesn't look like it was ever bent to set it in place. It looks untouched. I tried to contact LCI and spoke to the warranty and the repair departments explaining the whole cotter pin situation and that it was an obvious manufacturer defect as it was never assembled correctly. I was told there is only a one year warranty and was out of warranty and they can't do anything so I'm out $400 for a replacement jack as they don't sell just the leg shaft. Has anyone ever seen this before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0490.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	13312  
Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Frank G

Call Bontragers Surplus in White Pigeon Michigan 269-483-7017

http://bontragers.com/
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
Alicat

Thanks any leads are appreciated
Old 07-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
Alicat

No luck at Bontragers, any other rv junkyards or used parts houses out there. I have a good motor on the jack, just need the shaft. If I could find one with a bad motor I think I could make it work. If not I'll just have to get a new one.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
Frank G

Not knowing what the piece looks like I would make one out of Drill Rod stock. It also looks like it could be welded and re-machined.
I trained Machine Repairmen (and women) to repair stuff, from scratch, if necessary.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Not knowing what the piece looks like I would make one out of Drill Rod stock. It also looks like it could be welded and re-machined.
I trained Machine Repairmen (and women) to repair stuff, from scratch, if necessary.
Certainly there is a shop around with the capability to repair that...one would hope.

LCI should have done a good faith part replacement. Hiss, boo.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

There is an RV suppliers/Parts sources thread on the forum. Possibly you can find the part you need at one of them. It's quite an extensive list and many likely wouldn't even be a potential source, but possibly one or two might be a lead on finding a used jack. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=12986

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
Alicat

Yeah I'm going to look for a local machine shop, as far as lci, I was hoping to be able to get some type of replacement parts other than having to replace the whole unit, but I couldn't get any part breakdown. From them.just kept transferring me to different departments and put on hold. Got tired of waiting.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
Alicat

Wow, that's really allot of suppliers on that list, I've got some searching to do. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know what happens next.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:49 AM   #10
Alicat

Okay, my local rv shop was able to find one for me, $235+ shipping for the whole thing. I figure it's not a bad deal as even if I found a machine shop, how much could I really save plus having to do a rebuild. I'll still have extra parts and know who to contact for more. Thanks goes out t Crossroads rv, Newfield,NJ