Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
mustang94

Unhappy heater not right.

2012 31RKS... takes hours to warm up inside and after 4 weeks at the dealer they say all is ok and thats just the way it is. Then I talked to Keystone and now they are saying the same thing. So I took the underbelly off my self and found cut duct work in several places and smashed ducting. but today keystone told me that they are done haven the dealer check it out and that just the way it is going to be.... It takes over 45 minutes to raise it 10 degrees. over 2 hours when it was 48 inside the camper and never shut off and had it set on 75...
mustang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you haven't already done so, I would take photos of the cut and damaged duct work and send them to Keystone. You might also keep a written record of all the conversations you have had with both your dealer and with Keystone. If your RV is still under warranty, I find it hard to believe that you would be told "that is just the way it is going to be" and no one will do anything for you.
Severed and crushed ducting is not the way things are supposed to be. Some members have found ducting that has come loose or has been plugged with left-over debris during construction and have fixed this themselves when they too found that the A/C and/or furnace was not providing adequate cooling or heating.
I would be persistent but polite with Keystone in getting them to authorize your dealer to fix this problem.
All is not okay and that is not the way it is supposed to be.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
mustang94

Unhappy thanks...

my camper is the 2012 31RKS Cougar... Only had it for about 50 days now. I have and still trying to find the manager of Crestview just to show him the work his people have all ready done. Their service department said the dropped the belly and fixed everything they could and there are no other problems. That is what they reported to Keystone. I still wasnt happy after Keystone is taken Crestviews word everything is ok and told me everything is ok and they would no longer pay Crestview to look at my heater problem. So I dropped the belly my self and found cut and smashed ducting... Guess I am just going to fix it my self. I have put a few pictures on here take a look. Any want to see more just let me know....
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Have you sent any of the photos of the "repair" work done by Crestview to Keystone? I think we would be interested in hearing what both Keystone and the Service Manager have to say about the quality of the workmanship of this repair job.

(The photos that you did take only appear in your profile Album section so unless members visit that, they will not be able to see what you are talking about. You might try to post them here on the forum as an attachment to a new post so we can all have a look at them.)
Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
mustang94

up date

Well early this morning a guy from Keystone called me and told me he had heard about my problem, we talked for about 10 minutes. He said they had all ready spent about 1000 bucks to Crestview over my heater issue and want to see my pictures. I sent them about 20 picture in the e-mail but I havent heard back from them yet.... We really love the camper and now keeping our fingers crossed that they help out but at this point no big deal if I do it my self...
Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
therink

Thumbs down

Be careful with being willing to doing it yourself, even if you are capable (sounds like you are). I am confident that by doing the repairs yourself will just allow Keystone and the dealer wash their hands of the whole problem, while the dealer walks away with $ in their pocket.
I agree it is sometimes easier to fix things myself than the hassle with fighting to get it fixed right. I have found that I can do most repairs better than my dealer. My dealer stinks and I know I will never go there again, but I am also out of warranty. I have been where you are. It was definitely frustrating.
Assuming you are still covered under warranty, I would insist that the repairs be made by a competent technician even if it means taking to another dealer. Stick to your guns but stay calm when dealing with them. I believe that Keystone will stick by you as long as you have proper documentation, names, dates, etc.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
My dealer stinks and I know I will never go there again, but I am also out of warranty. I have been where you are. It was definitely frustrating.
Meyers or Wilkins? (Inquiring minds want to know. We call Rochester "the place we came from" as all of our kids ('cept one of my girls) and grandkids live in the area.)

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Meyers or Wilkins? (Inquiring minds want to know. We call Rochester "the place we came from" as all of our kids ('cept one of my girls) and grandkids live in the area.)
It used to be Myers. Its now Camping World. The service department is pathetic. I cant see how they remain in business. Must be the volume thing.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
mhs4771

Our rig came from Camping World in Bath, but I don't have any use for the Service Department at either Bath or Churchville (Rochester). I now work through an Independent Service Center, they only do service no sales thus they have to do good work for a reasonable price or go belly up.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Our rig came from Camping World in Bath, but I don't have any use for the Service Department at either Bath or Churchville (Rochester). I now work through an Independent Service Center, they only do service no sales thus they have to do good work for a reasonable price or go belly up.
I had a bad experience at Bath the one time I bought a trailer there. I then had a 3 month battle on a 3 month old fifth wheel in Churchville getting them to make major warranty repairs. I don't want to turn this into a rant, as the OP needs to have their issue resolved.
The only way I was able to have CW properly repair my warranty issues was to document everything, and let Keystone force CW to make things right.
This sort of sounds similar to what the OP is experiencing.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
The only way I was able to have CW properly repair my warranty issues was to document everything, and let Keystone force CW to make things right. This sort of sounds similar to what the OP is experiencing.
The more I see and hear in this forum from everyone is that Keystone seems to be fairly good about making things right, BUT it really is becoming apparent to me that the dealerships are the problem. In many cases it sounds like the dealers do some substandard repairs, and then bill Keystone for all they can get.

In this case, for their thousand bucks, Keystone should have gotten a quality repair job done for the customer.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I think you're right on track with some dealers. I've seen some auto dealership service centers do pretty much the same thing, some of them, in an effort to please the customer replace major components that aren't faulty. Case in point, in 93 I had a lacing stitch come loose on my steering wheel in my F250. The dealer replaced the entire steering wheel assembly rather than repair the stitch.

In this furnace ducting issue, it looks like the dealership may have unbuttoned a part of the underbelly, pulled on the end of the ductwork to try to uncrimp it "up further" and buttoned it back up and sent Keystone a bill for repair/replacement of damaged ductwork. Such "creative billing" maximizes profit for the dealership, but at the RV owner's expense as well as Keystone's expense. Looks like both parties may be victims of the dealer's billing department.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
Outbackmel

Bath, NY

Sounds to me like RV'ers need to stay clear of the water in "Bath".

Throw the dealer out with the "Bath water".....

After 38 years in the auto finance bz; let me assure all, poor performing dealers are not restricted to the RV world. Perhaps there needs to be a thread where present & future concerns can be referenced.

A wise business person once told me: if you buy a bz; change the name. Dissatisfied customers will never come back with the same name and others will give you a fair shot at earning and retaining their business. MUST be a reason why Ford dealers (among others) call and e mail you 1 hour after a service call to guage satisfaction and are relentless in asking for you to complete a survey with high marks.

Maybe Keystone should implement some standards. These RV things are quite a chunk of change. I'm just say'n........
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #14
SAABDOCTOR

THAT IS SO SAD. WHAT A WAY TO TREAT A CUSTOMER. I HAVE BEEN IN THE REPAIR BIS FOR 43 YEARS AND NOW THAT I OWN A 5ER I RELIZE THAT I HAVE TO FIX THIS TOO. WAKE UP DEALERS SERVICE IS WHAT BRINGS BACK THE CUSTOMERS TO THE SHOW ROOM!!!! I KNOW I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE DEALER I BOUGHT MY FISRT MONTANS FROM. NOW TRAVEL2.5 HOURS TO DIAMOND RV IN SPRINGFIELD MASS. I GET STRAIGHT ANSWERS FROM THEM. PLUS THEY KNOW I'LL CHECK. JUST MY .50 CENTS WORTH. (INFLATION)
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
mustang94

its right now....

OK after 7 weeks of Keystone and Crestview trying to fix my heater I did it my self today. Sorry but I just had to do it, got tired of waiting on them. I dropped the under belly and replaced all the duct work. It took 25 minutes to raise the temp up inside 15 degrees. Air coming out of the vent in the living room was 163.4 out of the bathroom was 143.3 and now out of the bedroom it is 129.5. the living room being the closest to the heater and bedroom being the furthest away. NOW I AM HAPPY AND CAN'T WAIT TO TAKE A ROAD TRIP....

PS: I guess if you want things done right you have to do it your self....
Old 11-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
Englishman

Nice job on the repair. It's a pity that dealer was unable to repair it the first time around.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
mustang94

update

Ok I went to my dealer today with before and after pictures of all my duct work. This time I talk with the store manager and service manager. Everything went great, they said they were sorry for the problems I have had. They are going to reimburse me for all parts, supplies and my labor. so I guess their not a bad place after all if you just talk to the right people....

Oh but the down fall thing is now that I did this work my self it voided my warranty on the hole heating system....

Don Williams
Killeen Texas
2012 F250 4x4
2013 333 MKS Cougar
Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #18
Trigger12

You're not alone with crestview. I set up a meeting with the store manager after their service department failed to do their job, from the service mgr down to the technician. Seems they have poor technicians, and upper mgmt can't check all work completed. I was told when I pick the trailer up, have them plug it in and double check all work completed is to my satisfaction. If not, decline to sign and speak with mgmt. You may also try using another service writer, there is one good one I use. My salesman has also more than willingly gotten involved with solving my problems. You may talk to yours
4" MBRP
Reese 16k Kwik Slide
Trigger12 is offline   Reply With Quote