Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
nesparky

Domestic frig question

I have a Dometic frig that isn't cooling. Our outdoor temps have been in the single digits and today if got up to 20°.
I noticed that it wasn't cooling so I switched over to propane. You can here the burner when you go outside, but my frig hasn't dropped in temp. It's been at 50° for the past 1.5 hrs.
Would it be possible that if the drain line is plugged that it may be causing an issue?

nesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The problem with your refrigerator is most likely the outside temperature. You see, that little propane burner or the electric heating element has to "boil" the coolant to cause it to vaporize. If it's too cold outside, the "little electric heating element" or the "bic lighter sized propane flame" can't provide enough BTU's to boil the sodium chromate. If it can't vaporize the coolant, then cooling won't happen and the process of cooling will stop working. If you read your Dometic refrigerator owner's manual, it will discuss "cold weather operation" and you'll find this quote:

"EXTREME COLD WEATHER OPERATION
Refrigerator performance may be reduced in extremely
cold (subzero) temperatures. This temporary condition is
normal for absorption refrigerators and does not indicate
product failure. In the event that performance is reduced
in such conditions, turn the refrigerator off. As ambient
temperatures rise, please restart your refrigerator according
to instructions before requesting service."

So, if you must use your refrigerator, you might consider restricting a part of the lower vent opening by placing some rigid foam in the vent and installing a 50 watt "trouble light" or "drop light" behind the refrigerator. That would increase the temperature around the heat chimney and probably help the refrigerator "limp through the cold ambient temperatures". If you do attempt to restrict a part of the lower vent, be sure to allow for some air circulation if you're going to operate the refrigerator on propane. If you're going to operate on electricity, then venting isn't necessary. Remember to remove the foam once the outside temperatures go back up above about 40F. I would recommend operation on electricity only to prevent any possibility of LP gas accumulation behind the refrigerator.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:04 AM   #3
TLB

If its that cold outside you could set your stuff outside for a bit to cool it off

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
nesparky

All ready have. Lol buried my cooler in a snow pile.
nesparky is offline   Reply With Quote