Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
JD_Moe

Laredo 275 sbh bunkhouse ventilation

HI everone! We're new to the forum and just purchased a 2012 Laredo 275sbh and love it! We just completed our first trip with it. Aside from a couple small issues (some loose screws and a loose sofa arm), there's only one "big" issue we hope to have resolved.

The bunkhouse lacks ventilation. I was afraid it might be an issue and sure enough, it was. The bunks each have 8x14 windows but they do not open. There is also an egress window but it doesn't have a screen or the red bar (so it's not designed to be opened unless an emergency). There is no roof vent. The door to the bunkhouse is flush at the top. The windows and vents were open in the rest of the camper at night. Each morning, condensation was dripping from the bunkhouse windows and the kids were hot - while the rest of us were cool. It was maybe 55-60 degrees at night.

We're asking Keystone and the dealer if they will do anything. Seems like a serious flaw in ventilation design for a closed off room.

If not, what might you recommend? We are thrilled with the camper, aside from this. :-)
JD_Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Not sure if those 8x14 windows were installed without any kind of slide opening but if they were and given the lack of a roof vent and no other means of ventilating that area, it would appear to be one of Keystone's "rare design flaws". While you are awaiting a response from those at Keystone and your dealer, the next time you go camping keep the door to that area open and place a portable fan in a convenient spot so that at least you have some movement of air. That should eliminate or greatly reduce the condensation issue.
Try persuading the dealer to put in a roof vent or, if you are reasonably handy, you might try doing this yourself.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
JD_Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
...Try persuading the dealer to put in a roof vent or, if you are reasonably handy, you might try doing this yourself.
Do you think a roof vent would be a better solution over new windows that contain sliders? Cutting a hole in our new camper sounds frightening to me.

I wonder if we could lower the hinges on the door so it has some clearance at the top to allow air to flow both below and above the door? I agree that keeping the door open with a fan will help, too.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

If you can manage to get both the windows vented and the ceiling vent installed, that would be the best route to go. If you are looking at only one, I would consider the windows.
The entry door to the bunkhouse room can be modified to allow air to enter while it is closed. Go to a building supply place and find a vent that can be placed in the bottom portion of your door. Cut out a suitable opening for the vent to fit. If you want to do the same in the upper half of door, just purchase and install one more vent. This job doesn't require a lot of expertise or tools.
If you don't feel comfortable cutting a hole in your roof for a ceiling vent/fan, take it to a reputable RV service center and get them to cost it out for you. Perhaps you have a friend who is good at that sort of thing. You can go online and probably download a video (U-tube??) about installing a roof vent.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
JD_Moe

thanks for the help Festus2! I will pass along this information to my handy hubby and we'll take it from there. You gave me some good ideas! Thanks!

We'll figure something out...it's really a minor problem in the grand scheme of things.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
mikell

If your camping with hookups just turn the furnace fan on low manual if you can.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
JD_Moe

My dealer is AWESOME

Just got word back from our dealer. They are getting us 2 bunkhouse crank-out windows plus an egress window equipped with the screen and handle which is designed for regular use. No charge to us.

If there was ever a good reason to find the right dealer, this sure is one.

If I were to nitpick my camper now, I would say the only things I'm not crazy about are the power awning (just seems like they don't go as high or out as far as the old manual kinds) and the inability to access the majority of the camper when the slide is all the way in. These are such minor issues....

Otherwise, the fit and finish was excellent. We love the floor plan. A lot of trailer for the $$.

Love my Laredo!!
1999 Alumacraft Magnum 165cs
Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Glad to hear that your dealer went to bat for you. Not all dealers are as accommodating as yours. Be thankful that you have an "awesome" dealer!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
Charli

We purchased a 2012 Cougar 26SAB this spring and the bedroom only has one pushout emergency window. We found that unless there was a good breeze at night the bedrooom became hot and stuffy due to a lack of a crossbreeze. With the bedroom being the highest part of the trailer the natural flow of hot air (rising) collected in the bedroom. We tried the furnace fan and a/c which worked however its noisy and we would prefer to have fresh outside air cooling us at night.
I purchased a Fantastic fan at Camping World this summer and will either install it in the bathroom ceiling vent or have the dealer cut a vent in the bedroom ceiling and install the fan in the new vent. The second option would be better but it will probably come down to the cost. You would think Keystone would know that a roof vent in the sleeping area is a must, especially when a lack of windows prevents a good cross-breeze. We found a number of small design flaws and quality issues which, from discussions with a dealer, are the result of cost-cutting efforts at Keystone.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
JD_Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
(snipped)You would think Keystone would know that a roof vent in the sleeping area is a must, especially when a lack of windows prevents a good cross-breeze.
Charli - I agree completely! I thought it interesting how the owner's manual addresses the issue of proper ventilation, however the lack of vents or windows would prevent such ventilation to occur. Sounds like you have a good solution in the works. We're planning to get a Fantastic Fan in our bathroom, too. Thankfully our bedroom has two windows (one egress/one jalousy) plus a roof vent.

Congrats on your new camper!
1999 Alumacraft Magnum 165cs