Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Str8shooter

Loose wire on circuit breaker

We lost power on several outlets recently on our 2011 Keystone Raptor 5th wheel. Looked all over for the GFI outlet to see if that was the culprit and it was. At first we could not locate the outlet which is located on one side of the counter top cabinet that is normally covered by a drop down extension to the counter top. Oh well - don't use that extension much but we'll know where it is next time.

While taking a look at the circuit breaker box and the various breaker switches, I found one circuit breaker with a very loose black hot wire. When I pulled the breaker away and looked at the wire locking screw it was at least 1/8" from being fully inserted! This did not happen on its own as the screw threads are very tight. Whoever did the install did so very poorly - this is not the first lack of craftmanship I've found on the camper. Luckily, the wire was well into its slot and maintained continuity. It certainly could have been a spark hazard, however.

I hope this helps someone. Be sure to shut down your power before checking your wiring.

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Txoutback

I checked/tighened my panel screws as part of the shake down. I found a few loose screws but were not giving me a problem yet. I have it on my list to check them every two years now.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 AM   #3
rjsurfer

How do you get to those screws? Is that front panel easy to get off?

Thanks

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
DAF

Cool

While installing a cut-off switch for the battery I discovered that all the heavy gauge cable terminals had not been crimped properly at the factory. I am talking several sections both positive and ground where you could twist the terminals off with your hands! These cables carry significant currents and the potential for disaster is very high. But rest assured, your RV proudly displays the RVIA sticker announcing that it was built following all the electrical codes
DAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

RJsurfer, the front panel is "too easy" to remove. There's only 2 screws that hold it on. If you do remove it, unplug shore power first, once the cover is off, there's exposed 110VAC wires, and if you should touch one of those "loose screws" to tighten it, you might get quite a suprise....

DAF, I've been somewhat vocal both on here and at my dealer about the RVIA sticker. It's supposed to mean something, at least it's supposed to be reassuring. I think, like so many other "consumer protection programs" it has become a way to "dictate" standards and collect $230 per unit to pay the "dictators" There is no enforcement arm, just an advertising arm. nothing more, maybe less..... "such a program"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote